NarniMagic

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2010
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea
People can say all they want that Chelsea were unspectacular today and that's fair enough, but the fact is that we never needed to get out of 1st gear. It was our third game in a week with a largely unchanged squad, and I'm sure that if Arsenal challenged us at bit more in front of goal, and we got to a later stage in the game without being in front, we would have lifted to another level. But thanks to some Hazard brilliance we didn't need to.
I thought out best 2 players were Matic, who is just an absolute beast in that role and Oscar, who made countless last ditch effort tackles in vital areas. He's been in great form in the last few weeks and people won't recognise it because it's not the flashy things he's doing, but he really has continued the form of his world cup campaign where he was just about the only Brazillian to fire a shot in every match (even the German one).

Flameboy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Matic man of the match for me. BEAST out there today.
Stunned to see you throw your support behind a Serb ;). But I'm with you on this one, he is one helluva player! (Hazard MOTM for me though)

PendlesPremiers

All Australian
Sep 23, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers, Arsenal
That was disappointing but not surprising. Arsenal had more possession, more shots and no danger. And, of course, we're left with 'what ifs', like 'what if Cahill got a red for his ridiculous challenge on Alexis? What if a penalty was given for Cesc's handball?'

At least the next month should bring some points in.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Wasn't the difference though, was he?

That's why Wenger needed to buy him even if he didn't need him. It's strengthened a rival to the point they're miles in front as favorites.

He did need him though, Fabregas would still be Arsenals best midfielder. He and Sanchez would be a joy to watch.

Oh of course, Fabregas is an amazing player, I think that Arsene isn't ruthless enough, where as someone like Jose is. Jose would never want to strengthen his rivals. He is the biggest campaigner going around, but he knows how to win, and to him that's all that matters.

I just didn't think blaming Wilshere was on the ball, there were a lot worse players for Arsenal last night.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
People quite often point the finger at Arsenal and say we have a soft underbelly etc. But the most glaring point is actually to ask, where did this come from?

To find the answer, look no further than the manager. Wenger's victim mentality has exponentially grown season after season. Rather than address the gaping deficiencies in our squad, he instead chooses to whinge and whine and complain about how unfair it is on Arsenal that other teams spend so much money, FFP should stamp that out, we are unlucky with our injuries, every team fouls us to stop our style of play etc etc and so on and so forth.

Rather than steel this team with the addition of battle hardened, ready made world class footballers (ie, Costa), he instead implores the fans to believe in the potential of Sanogo. Rather than spend the funds required to purchase that world class, physical holding midfielder that every schoolboy football fans knows we need, he chooses the free and inferior option in Flamini and parks Cazorla next to him.

Paid 42 million pounds for Ozil to alternate him on the flanks? But didn't buy Cesc because we already had Ozil to play in his position? F*** me.

Arsene Wenger is the soft underbelly at Arsenal. He is the victim, the whinger and the moaner. Its always someone else. The ref. The opposition. Our injuries. Its never his fault. He is so irrelevant to other managers now that they can defeat and hinder Arsenal before a ball has been kicked. You know what predictable Wenger will give you to work with. And against a mastermind like Mourinho, its child's play for him.

But Wenger's greatest accomplishment since his glorious first 8 years at the club is this: he has persuaded and brainwashed a large section of his fan base to accept his mediocrity.

Because Arsene knows best right?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
I know there is a long way to go but he isn't too far off being right. The little horse would have to seriously stuff up from here not to get there.

The side that's finished 1st, 2nd and 1st in the last 3 seasons who have a more expensive squad are only sitting 5 points behind in early October. Its ridiculous to suggest that the leagues ours.

I'll be disappointed if we dont win it but there's a hell of a ling way to go and we are only a critical injury(Matic, Cahill, Terry or Costa) away from being back with the pack.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
I know there is a long way to go but he isn't too far off being right. The little horse would have to seriously stuff up from here not to get there.

Chelsea have had a few seasons where they've dropped away mid season after a great start.

But this season their squad looks as complete and accomplished as it ever has been under Mourinho.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
The side that's finished 1st, 2nd and 1st in the last 3 seasons who have a more expensive squad are only sitting 5 points behind in early October. Its ridiculous to suggest that the leagues ours.

I'll be disappointed if we dont win it but there's a hell of a ling way to go and we are only a critical injury(Matic, Cahill, Terry or Costa) away from being back with the pack.
No question and I'm not writing City off. I just think you'll be the team to catch all season and Mourinho's mentality will reflect that.

How are his mind games when he's actually the 'big horse'?

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Yep. s**t can the season folks, its all over. Nothing to play for. :rolleyes:

Didn't Arsenal lead the league for almost all of last season?

Christ.

Arsenal didn't play terribly. We just played an average game and you cant do that against the best sides as it showed yesterday. I think even Chelsea supporters will admit they were not anything special but they didn't have to be either. They took their two best chances, were nicely organised and didn't do anything stupid.

And that defines Arsenals season ATM. We haven't played terrible but we haven't been anything other than average! Our worst game was Dortmund away.

The team doesn't know what it wants to be: Rather than being a balls out fast paced attacking team or a sit back counter attack team we are stuck with playing a brand of high possession, high line, slow methodical passing game. We are still struggling to find any sort of balance between our attack and midfield.

I could write more but I cant be bothered.

Apr 14, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
Yep. s**t can the season folks, its all over. Nothing to play for. :rolleyes:

Didn't Arsenal lead the league for almost all of last season?

Christ.

Arsenal didn't play terribly. We just played an average game and you cant do that against the best sides as it showed yesterday. I think even Chelsea supporters will admit they were not anything special but they didn't have to be either. They took their two best chances, were nicely organised and didn't do anything stupid.

And that defines Arsenals season ATM. We haven't played terrible but we haven't been anything other than average! Our worst game was Dortmund away.

The team doesn't know what it wants to be: Rather than being a balls out fast paced attacking team or a sit back counter attack team we are stuck with playing a brand of high possession, high line, slow methodical passing game. We are still struggling to find any sort of balance between our attack and midfield.

I could write more but I cant be bothered.
I don't see how you can say Arsenal played well without 1 shot on target. Chelsea let us play our meaningless passes and as usual new they would score.

Back