2014-15 Lower League & amalgamated non-league thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Because unless you had a particular reason to travel to Manchester it would be a colosssal waste of time and money to do so when you can find a good non league game to attend around the corner.

It may be different at mini me clubs like FC United, but train travel to a game isnt generally part of the non league experience.

Being around the local shops, pubs etc before and after the game is.

Even travelling to Southend for the FA Cup last year was huge fun, nice little town, great pubs, great food pre-game, and friendly banter between the fans.

Not saying you shouldnt travel if you have a legitimate reason to do so (ie seeing a particular team or former manager).

Or if you are just travelling for the sake of it.

Just that if you are looking to experience non league football, its generally not too far away.

Last edited:
When I eventually get around to doing a pilgrimage to St James' Park, I'm going to go visit Forest Green and hopefully take in a game at the New Lawn. Not sure how easy it would be to do though (think they are based in Gloucestershire which, if my memory serves me right, isn't exactly close to the north east.

Wouldn't mind seeing Gateshead as well if I get the chance.

Yeah unless your going to see the Black and White away to Swansea or Cardiff its not that convenient.

Yeah unless your going to see the Black and White away to Swansea or Cardiff its not that convenient.

Yeah, Gloucestershire I think is pretty small too so I don't think there'd be a lot of transport options (trains/planes) other than driving. Maybe if Gateshead have an away day at FGR, there might be a supporter's coach or something.

Either way, it probably will be a bit of effort but if I'm flying half way around the world to watch football, I may as well put the effort in similar to what Milang said earlier. :)

Gargh, double checked FCUM's fixtures.
The matchday 46 game is away not at home.
It's away to Workington.
Can get up there in time, but cant get home that day unless I leave 5-10 minutes before full time.
And considering I'd be going there for the final matchday hoping to win the league, it's pointless.

note - This is only a consideration if Arsenal-Chelsea is delayed 1/2 days for tv.

3-0 win over 3rd puts us into 2nd! :D
Hoping to beat Belper Town (24th) on Saturday while Ilkeston (3rd) drops points to Curzon Ashton (7th)

Ilkeston is currently the greatest threat.
If we drop 1 game we're neck and neck with these guys, but if we drop 1 game, GD marginally falls in their favour.

Down to 5 points behind 1st with 7 games in hand.

Is there a reason why you've played 7 games less than the league leaders?
FA Trophy run
and ALOT of waterlogged/frozen pitches in the league over December-January.

Blyth Spartans are similar with their FA Cup run.
Got no clue why Ramsbottom United have 10 games in hand over 1st though. They had no cup run. They probably just got ****ed over with rain/weather too.

Was annoyed when we went down 1-0 to dead last.
But we did tie it just before the half.
They've already used 2 subs as well, so hopefully ours inject some run later in the game and we run over them.

Last I heard Curzon Ashton were up 2-0 over Ilkeston too, so our arse is being covered on that front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Halifax 1-0 at home to Braintree. Fun fact, the last 4 games between Halifax and Braintree have had the last 4 results, 1-0, 0-0,0-0 and O-1

3-0 win for FGR against AFC Telford. 8 games unbeaten now.

Holding onto that last playoff spot for dear life. 1 point behind Grimsby who have a game in hand. I'm nervously looking over the shoulder though. Both Eastleigh and royals1922's mob Halifax are both 4 points behind but have games in hand and could leapfrog us...

Telford look almost doomed for relegation sadly. 10 points adrift of safety with 13 games to go. Would take a big ask to turn it around, though certainly not impossible.

Think FC United's up to something similar. Last loss was 3 months ago on the 22nd of November, since then.
26th December - Win 4-0
28th December - Win 2-1
1st January - Win 3-0
3rd January - Win 2-0
18th January - Win 2-1
10th February - Win 3-1
14th February - Win 5-2
17th February - Win 3-0
21st February - Win 3-1

So 9 game unbeaten run now! :)

Well, in the league, in that period we have gone 4-2-1 in cup competitions.

Luton haven't been quite so hot in League Two of late. Disappointing loss to the Wombles on Saturday ends the month of February with 1 win in 5, dropping points we shouldn't against lower table teams have dropped out of the top 3. Still comfortably inside the playoff berths.

Accrington at home this weekend followed Bury away next Tuesday.

Holding onto that last playoff spot for dear life. 1 point behind Grimsby who have a game in hand. I'm nervously looking over the shoulder though. Both Eastleigh and royals1922's mob Halifax are both 4 points behind but have games in hand and could leapfrog us...

Telford look almost doomed for relegation sadly. 10 points adrift of safety with 13 games to go. Would take a big ask to turn it around, though certainly not impossible.
Halifax have taken 22 out of 30 points since early December. No FA trophy or cup to worry about and a 6 point makeup home game against Eastleigh this midweek.

Cross fingers and toes

Halifax have taken 22 out of 30 points since early December. No FA trophy or cup to worry about and a 6 point makeup home game against Eastleigh this midweek.

Cross fingers and toes
Are you in conference national?
I haven't followed above us much, but know Halifax is north (as they were in the NPL not long ago) while Eastleigh is south (as I liked them in past versions of FM due to them being tiny)

Are you in conference national?
I haven't followed above us much, but know Halifax is north (as they were in the NPL not long ago) while Eastleigh is south (as I liked them in past versions of FM due to them being tiny)
Yeah we're out of that horrible northern league with dodgy pitches, dodgy teams and northern jealousies:)

Cross fingers and toes

Geez, that'd have to be close to the best form of any team in the division surely? With no cup games to distract you either, gives you a really good chance of using those games in hand and forcing the issue in the playoff chase.

The game against Eastleigh will be massive! Not sure who I want to win that one to be honest - maybe a draw suits FGR's needs best. ;)

Think FC United's up to something similar. Last loss was 3 months ago on the 22nd of November, since then.
26th December - Win 4-0
28th December - Win 2-1
1st January - Win 3-0
3rd January - Win 2-0
18th January - Win 2-1
10th February - Win 3-1
14th February - Win 5-2
17th February - Win 3-0
21st February - Win 3-1

So 9 game unbeaten run now! :)

Well, in the league, in that period we have gone 4-2-1 in cup competitions.

Far out, looks like your lads have been scoring for fun! With the games you have in hand and the form you're currently in, you'd be very disappointed to fall short again this season.

Far out, looks like your lads have been scoring for fun! With the games you have in hand and the form you're currently in, you'd be very disappointed to fall short again this season.
With Ilkesteron-Ashton drawing 0-0 last night, we have 6 points we can drop now and still finish 1st on the season :)

Big game tonight, home to Halesowen Town. Win and we're top of the league.

Geez, that'd have to be close to the best form of any team in the division surely? With no cup games to distract you either, gives you a really good chance of using those games in hand and forcing the issue in the playoff chase.

The game against Eastleigh will be massive! Not sure who I want to win that one to be honest - maybe a draw suits FGR's needs best. ;)
There are some nervous jellies on the halifax board who are moaning about the quality of 1-0 wins. Eastleighs last 5 games have been 2 losses,2 wins and a draw so the form line is unpredictable. From recollection Gateshead also has games in hand so there's more pressure yet to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back