2014-15 Lower League & amalgamated non-league thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That's brutal. Are the players being sold? How does dropping leagues help? Would be similar costs anyway wouldn't it?

Not at a non-League level, lower league means less player fees, ground doesn't have to be up to the same standard, etc.

To think those guys won the FA Trophy as well. The winning club gets £50,000 pounds, and that's not counting the prize money won for every round of the FA Trophy they won. The club looked like it was going places too.

How financially bad could things be if even a relatively successful season results in the club entering voluntary relegation?

Well after a really poor weekend where the Toon slumped closer to the trap door, the Jets secured the wooden spoon and the Tiges failed to turn up against Melbourne, FGR at least gave me something to get excited about.

Forest Green making the playoffs for the first time in the club's history. Not going to be easy, we're playing Bristol Rovers who must be pretty sour at missing out on the title by 1 point and ominously after putting 7 past Alfreton!

First leg being played at our home (the New Lawn) on Wednesday. I'm not sure what to expect. I think we've got the firepower to beat them (having scored 7 more this season) but our defence is far leakier.

Come on FGR!!!

Terrible news for North Ferriby, with the owners pulling all funding, the entire team is going to be sold, they'll be in voluntary relegation down 1, 2 maybe more leagues.

Don't the Allams have something to do with them?

Don't the Allams have something to do with them?

Yep, his daughter is married to the owner, and there's a big suspicion that Allam directly has a hand in this. The club has released a statement suggesting that they aren't pulling funds, but it all remains to be seen.

Yep, his daughter is married to the owner, and there's a big suspicion that Allam directly has a hand in this. The club has released a statement suggesting that they aren't pulling funds, but it all remains to be seen.

Any idea SM if she has any involvement in running the club? Just wondering what might happen if 2 clubs with family ties ever met each other in a cup match one day. Surely might cause some potential concerns for the FA.

Any idea SM if she has any involvement in running the club? Just wondering what might happen if 2 clubs with family ties ever met each other in a cup match one day. Surely might cause some potential concerns for the FA.

Not sure, considering plenty of other owners own two clubs in different competitions - Watford's owners for instance spring to mind - I'm not sure if there's any major issue.

Watford's owners have teams in different countries don't they. Unless they have 2 Italian teams?

Sure, different countries, but the likelihood of NFU and Hull playing in a competitive game is surely similar to the odds of Watford and their Italian side competing. In fact with Watford now in the PL that's even more likely.

Relationships like Spurs and Swindon Town spring to mind as similar if not more connected than Hull and NFU.

Sure, different countries, but the likelihood of NFU and Hull playing in a competitive game is surely similar to the odds of Watford and their Italian side competing. In fact with Watford now in the PL that's even more likely.

Relationships like Spurs and Swindon Town spring to mind as similar if not more connected than Hull and NFU.

I suppose (unless the Italians have big plans for Watford and pump in a lot of money) that it's unlikely Udinese and Watford (plus I think they have a Spanish La Liga side too) would ever compete in say the Europa League together - let alone be drawn together.

I know there was a story doing the rounds a while back that IF Newcastle (haha not plausible given the current state of the club) ever qualified for continental competition again and IF Rangers had qualified as well in the same season, then both would not be able to compete and one would need to cede their spot (even if they were in different competitions).

I'm not certain but I think Spurs and Swindon's relationship is only an informal one (ie good terms and understanding between the 2)? So no 'official' relationship/shared ownership.

Edit:

An article last year published this:

"UEFA have confirmed Newcastle United and Rangers will not be allowed to play in Europe together, even if they qualify for different competitions, because of Mike Ashley’s involvement in the running of both clubs.”

The NUST (Newcastle United Supporters Trust) sent a letter to UEFA seeking clarification and got the following in response:

Thank you for your letter dated 6 January 2015 concerning the current ownership of your club by Mr Mike Ashley, as well as his interest in Ranger FC in Scotland.

You raised the question of whether this situation might constitute a breach of the UEFA rules on dual ownership (as set out in Article 3 of the regulation of the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, regarding the integrity of competition).

Firstly, as we understand it, the situation with regard to Rangers FC is still evolving. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, it is not possible for UEFA to comment on the situation as the question would only be addressed as and when both clubs would qualify for UEFA competitions.

Furthermore, if there was any question regarding compliance with Article 3 of the aforesaid regulations then this would be dealt with by the UEFA Club Financial Control Body established, inter alia, to deal with questions of this nature.

I am sorry that we cannot say any more about the matter for now but hope you will find this information to be useful in the meantime.

Yours sincerely

Alasdair Bell

General Counsel / Director of Legal Affairs

So essentially UEFA won't provide a definite answer to a hypothetical situation - and would only make a decision when the scenario occurs.

Last edited:

I would have thought yours was more likely through a domestic cup? Either way, it's nigh on impossible as you say.

Swindon has different owners to Tottenham, they just have a partnership. Not quite the same conflict.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought yours was more likely through a domestic cup? Either way, it's nigh on impossible as you say.

Swindon has different owners to Tottenham, they just have a partnership. Not quite the same conflict.

Well NFU also have different owners. Assem Allam doesn't own NFU.

1-0 loss at home to Bristol Rovers in the first leg of the playoff. Frustrating that we lost thanks to a goal by ex Forest Green striker Matty Taylor and that they finished the game with 10 men. We apparently hit the upright too in stoppage time.

Still very much alive in the tie though. Hope we can bounce back and at least force it to extra time/penalties in the second leg!

1-0 loss at home to Bristol Rovers in the first leg of the playoff. Frustrating that we lost thanks to a goal by ex Forest Green striker Matty Taylor and that they finished the game with 10 men. We apparently hit the upright too in stoppage time.

Still very much alive in the tie though. Hope we can bounce back and at least force it to extra time/penalties in the second leg!

Always going to be a tough ask against the Rovers, especially in the knowledge that Bristol City's back in the Championship. The good news is that FGR have a chance to turn things around. Conferance Level is the first level that has the two legged semi-final, since you're playing to be a professional team. Though bear in mind: There's no Wembley trip for the Conference level final, which means that even if FGR win, they will be playing away to the other semi's winner, since FGR are the lowest ranked team in the playoffs.

Chin up, all you need is a goal just to get to extra time/penalties (Sorry, no away goal rules here. Then again, you already knew that!)

Darlington down 2-1 in the 78th then score 2 goals in the last 12 (winning goal came in the 90th minute) to qualify for the playoff final. What a game. Cmon Darlo!!!

Soft spot for Darlington? Didn't expect that. Good thing they got the job done in Level 8. Home ground advantage against Bamber, should be fun. They'll be in the same league as FCUM this season. I'm sure Dirty Bird will be keen to share his experiences, lol. (Also, DB, if you have any sympathy, Workington got knocked out Ilkeston. 2nd best in the league is no guarantee of promotion.)

Always going to be a tough ask against the Rovers, especially in the knowledge that Bristol City's back in the Championship. The good news is that FGR have a chance to turn things around. Conferance Level is the first level that has the two legged semi-final, since you're playing to be a professional team. Though bear in mind: There's no Wembley trip for the Conference level final, which means that even if FGR win, they will be playing away to the other semi's winner, since FGR are the lowest ranked team in the playoffs.

Chin up, all you need is a goal just to get to extra time/penalties (Sorry, no away goal rules here. Then again, you already knew that!)

Soft spot for Darlington? Didn't expect that. Good thing they got the job done in Level 8. Home ground advantage against Bamber, should be fun. They'll be in the same league as FCUM this season. I'm sure Dirty Bird will be keen to share his experiences, lol. (Also, DB, if you have any sympathy, Workington got knocked out Ilkeston. 2nd best in the league is no guarantee of promotion.)
Yeah soft spot after a really good save in FM 12. :D :thumbsu:

Yeah soft spot after a really good save in FM 12. :D :thumbsu:
I have a soft spot for Hayes and Yeading atm as I won the EPL with them in a save of FM 15.

Then when I did a tour of Wembley (ill share the photo of me kissing the cup in my home fcum kit when I upload them online) I saw their youth team walk by in the other direction! :p

(Here's a photo kissing it 16 months ago in the away kit - was at night, needed a day shot this time round) -
1977455_711131835594635_201642572012894372_n.jpg

Actually, Darlington wont be in the same league as FCUM.
We got promoted so will be in the conference north. Theyre going up to where we were though.

and im impartial on that game. I want Curzon Ashton to come up with us as I want to maintain games with them, as well as pick up a few with Stalybridge next year. They're 2 of the few teams we've groundshared while getting our own so want to see them succeed.

Would love to play Bury but they're a tad further away atm.

Actually, Darlington wont be in the same league as FCUM.
We got promoted so will be in the conference north. Theyre going up to where we were though.

and im impartial on that game. I want Curzon Ashton to come up with us as I want to maintain games with them, as well as pick up a few with Stalybridge next year. They're 2 of the few teams we've groundshared while getting our own so want to see them succeed.

Would love to play Bury but they're a tad further away atm.

I meant the same division this season, aka the Northern Premier. I know you're excited for Conference North, but you're still technically in the Northern Premier for one more month yet! (I still can't believe the most exciting thing about waiting to be in the Premier League was the day the Leicester City logo was on the website.)

Cold. But fair enough, you have hopes for other teams coming up, the ones you shared the grounds with. If a familiar face is coming up with you, might as well be one that you can tolerate somewhat.

I have a soft spot for Hayes and Yeading atm as I won the EPL with them in a save of FM 15.

Then when I did a tour of Wembley (ill share the photo of me kissing the cup in my home fcum kit when I upload them online) I saw their youth team walk by in the other direction! :p

(Here's a photo kissing it 16 months ago in the away kit - was at night, needed a day shot this time round) -
1977455_711131835594635_201642572012894372_n.jpg

Nice photo. A picture of the actual FA Cup! And you were able to get your lip marks on the cup, if not for a few seconds (I presume it's well polished and all.) I've only ever been to old Wembley, which was the final league cup match held at the place (League Cup 2000). I have a few plans to go to Europe and the UK, but that's still only just that... a plan. I want to time it so I can see Leicester at the KP (Again, only saw them at Filbert Street), hopefully still in the PL. I'm also going to try time it with a San Marino game, just for fun really. An epic sports trip across Europe... soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back