2014-15 Lower League & amalgamated non-league thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our third straight wins moves us out of the relegation zone and only 7pts outside the playoff spots. Things are starting to look very good at Carlisle.

That's awesome, would have been a sight to see! Was the 9 mins of stoppage time just for the linesman debacle?

Our third straight wins moves us out of the relegation zone and only 7pts outside the playoff spots. Things are starting to look very good at Carlisle.

That's pretty impressive! What's changed to turn the fortunes of the team around? Maybe getting that first win helped give the team a much needed boost in confidence?

1-1 draw for Forest Green over my second favourite non league side Gateshead. Happy with that given both teams are in decent form at the moment.

That's awesome, would have been a sight to see! Was the 9 mins of stoppage time just for the linesman debacle?
Most of it. The rest would be to replace the 2 balls that went out of the stadium in the first half.
Ended up winning 2-1.

That's pretty impressive! What's changed to turn the fortunes of the team around? Maybe getting that first win helped give the team a much needed boost in confidence?

Our new Manager Keith Curle has come in and made numerous changes on and off field and it appears to have revitalised the whole club. Most of these changes are simple and perhaps obvious and bring a level of professionalism to the club that hasn't been apparent under our last 2 or 3 managers.

Off field things like a set of guidelines on what players and coaches are to wear when entering the ground or representing the club, conduct of players at meetings and on the field. A clean out and refresh (repainting) of offices and training facilities. He has even fined a few players for too much chatter during a tactics meeting. Sounds simple, but the higher standards and discipline that is required at the higher tiers seem to work at the lower tiers as well.

On field he has made changes to the game plan, team structure (we know play with two stickers), and given game time to players that were on the outer under the previous manager.

Everyone seems to be on the same page and the early results suggest things are on the improve. We have gone from conceding almost three goals a game to keeping team scoreless in the last 3, while at the same time scoring only 6 goals in the first 9 games to scoring 7 in the last three.

It's early and the three teams we have played have all been around the same position as us, but I'm now more than hopeful that we have the team and structure to stay up, and perhaps if we are close enough come January make a run at the playoffs.

Sing after me folks, Halifax are top of the league, Halifax are top of the league ( if you exclude Barnet that is :p).

Not bad for a non league part time team who only in recent years actually signed their manager to a meaningful contract.....

1-0 away win to local rivals Bristol Rovers. Moves us up into 5th and the playoff spots and unbeaten in 5 games.

:cool:

Sing after me folks, Halifax are top of the league, Halifax are top of the league ( if you exclude Barnet that is :p).

Not bad for a non league part time team who only in recent years actually signed their manager to a meaningful contract.....

Wow, that's really impressive! So Halifax are still only a semi professional team? FGR was semi pro (part time for many years but only recently went to full time a couple of seasons ago I think).

Wow, that's really impressive! So Halifax are still only a semi professional team? FGR was semi pro (part time for many years but only recently went to full time a couple of seasons ago I think).
They went into administration and were dropped 4 divisions so money management is a big issue. That they have fought back is an achievement because conference north is a mongrel of a division to get out of.

They went into administration and were dropped 4 divisions so money management is a big issue. That they have fought back is an achievement because conference north is a mongrel of a division to get out of.

Wow, that makes it even more of an impressive achievement! If they can get promoted, that would be a truly fantastic achievement (can't recall them being in League 2 recently - i.e in the last 10 or so years).

Wow, that makes it even more of an impressive achievement! If they can get promoted, that would be a truly fantastic achievement (can't recall them being in League 2 recently - i.e in the last 10 or so years).
The conference is now pretty competitive and any of 12 teamswith a good run can win or make the playoffs.

On their day FGR could win 5-1 or with a bad ref and a horrid away ground lose by the same amount with 10 men.

Just need a run of 12 or more points from 5 games and you are back in contention. Equally 5 points from 5 games and you are back in the pack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The conference is now pretty competitive and any of 12 teamswith a good run can win or make the playoffs.

On their day FGR could win 5-1 or with a bad ref and a horrid away ground lose by the same amount with 10 men.

Just need a run of 12 or more points from 5 games and you are back in contention. Equally 5 points from 5 games and you are back in the pack.

Yep no doubt about that royals1922. Even more challenging to get promoted when you consider there's only 2 spots and with the hardships some clubs have faced in recent years, it seems increasingly more common for mainstay teams from the football league to tumble out into the conference.

I wonder if they'd ever do a rule change to make it 3 (winner, runner up and play off winner). The Championship is a tough league to get out of as well but at least there's 3 spots available every season.

Just goes to show that to go up, you need consistency and have to churn out the results. A bad month of results can make a huge difference in the scope of the season.

More of a general interest story but maybe something people might be interested in.

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/...orld-s-vegan/story-23304888-detail/story.html

Forest Green Rovers v Lincoln to be the 'world's first vegan football match'

Forest Green Rovers’ next home game, a Conference league clash with Lincoln City will not just be about the Gloucestershire team trying to win three points and cement its place in the Conference play-off positions. It will be about much more than that.

For the game at the New Lawn in Nailsworth will also be a 70th birthday celebration for The Vegan Society, as well as marking World Vegan Day.

While vegans the world over will be manning campaign stands in high streets, throwing lentil-bake parties and eating egg-less polenta birthday cakes, Forest Green’s players, staff and fans will be taking on Lincoln City in what the Vegan Society say will be the world’s first vegan football match.

More of a general interest story but maybe something people might be interested in.

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/...orld-s-vegan/story-23304888-detail/story.html

Forest Green Rovers’ next home game, a Conference league clash with Lincoln City will not just be about the Gloucestershire team trying to win three points and cement its place in the Conference play-off positions. It will be about much more than that.

For the game at the New Lawn in Nailsworth will also be a 70th birthday celebration for The Vegan Society, as well as marking World Vegan Day.

While vegans the world over will be manning campaign stands in high streets, throwing lentil-bake parties and eating egg-less polenta birthday cakes, Forest Green’s players, staff and fans will be taking on Lincoln City in what the Vegan Society say will be the world’s first vegan football match.
Chadwiko - This is the "soccer" team for you. Support FGR ;)

That's just depressing.

Haha, yep - I'm not sure how the fans like it, especially since all meat was removed from the match day food offerings. When I go see them play one day, I'll be sure to eat something beforehand :D

Ah well, as long as Dale Vince keeps investing in the team and hopefully eventually getting us into the league hierarchy, I'm happy for him to run the club how he sees fit. In some ways, this ultra green focus is good at raising the club's profile if nothing else. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back