2014/15 NHL Regular Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This:

FC00A562-54D3-4167-92F4-5A8B0E8BF7A0_1.jpg

beats this:

58F48878-82AD-4CEE-9DF2-A3927DF4536E_1.jpg

any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I was neutral on this topic until this post - cant have it jersey ads now

I think I paid 180ish for top half of lower bowl on a blue line for Rangers-Islanders on superbowl weekend this year.

Should add - the next night the Heat and Miami were in town to play the Knicks - same seats on stubhub where a lazy 1180 US.

Now which is the sport poor black kids can't play again?

Schneider performing like Brodeur is not what the Devils need
That giant contract he got given off of a few half seasons of play was really good..

Just looking at that 2004 draft for goalies. 3 in the top 30, including Schneider and Montoya.. Rinne goes 258th.

I was neutral on this topic until this post - cant have it jersey ads now

Like I said, that's an extreme example of ads in Europe. The NHL will probably me more like this:

skarmavbild_2013-06-28_kl._17.40.09.png

Best logo in hockey :D

Like I said, that's an extreme example of ads in Europe. The NHL will probably me more like this:

The problem is though it still looks like s**t. You have ads all along the boards, television deals, there's no need for advertising on jerseys

Last time I checked this was the NHL regular season thread.

Can we get a new thread for all things European hockey so I don't have to read it?

The problem is though it still looks like s**t. You have ads all along the boards, television deals, there's no need for advertising on jerseys

I'd rather see more ads on the ice before on the jerseys, but at the end of the day this is the fourth biggest sport in North America, with close competition from UFC and soccer. Got to make money somehow.

And of course I agree mate it's not as good as a clean jersey but people will get over it very quickly, just like they have in pretty much every sport in every other country in the world where there are ads on guernseys.

Last time I checked this was the NHL regular season thread.

Can we get a new thread for all things European hockey so I don't have to read it?

Feel free to hit the ignore button :)

I'd rather see more ads on the ice before on the jerseys, but at the end of the day this is the fourth biggest sport in North America, with close competition from UFC and soccer. Got to make money somehow.

And of course I agree mate it's not as good as a clean jersey but people will get over it very quickly, just like they have in pretty much every sport in every other country in the world where there are ads on guernseys.

We will get used to it because we love the sport, but it's still a stupid idea. I won't be happy about it, but if / when it happens I'm certainly not going to buy a jersey with the ads all over them. I know me not buying one doesn't effect the nhl in anyway, but I'm sure there will be others who won't either.

Get more ads on boards, screens around the arena, I don't care where else they have to advertise I just don't want it on the ice or jerseys. But oh well we will all deal with it and move on

We will get used to it because we love the sport, but it's still a stupid idea. I won't be happy about it, but if / when it happens I'm certainly not going to buy a jersey with the ads all over them. I know me not buying one doesn't effect the nhl in anyway, but I'm sure there will be others who won't either.

Get more ads on boards, screens around the arena, I don't care where else they have to advertise I just don't want it on the ice or jerseys. But oh well we will all deal with it and move on

Not economically, unfortunately.

The big money comes from ads that are seen on TV. Boards around the ice are already saturated, and some networks have resorted to tv-only ads projected onto the netting. Other boards around the arena are only seen by the 17k in there, not the 100s of thousands watching on tv.

Putting them on the ice would be highly visible marketing and probably a nicer alternative to fans (does having ads on the ice really hurt?) :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barely noticeable in Finland...

iccccce.jpg

Like the jersey shown before, that's on the extreme end. I'd propose something more like below (loudest hockey arena in the world)

Postfinance-Arena-Bern-SCB-.jpg

For some reason I can't see any of the images you guys are posting, but I'm sure they're all compelling.

My take on this is that as long as they don't go crazy (like in a number of European leagues we've seen), I don't really care. There's advertising everywhere in hockey right now: on the ice, along the boards (including those annoying lit-up ads in places like NYI), along the glass, TV timeouts etc etc. A couple of small ads on a jersey (I'm thinking similar to those in the AFL) wouldn't do any harm. We'll all get used to it within a week and won't know why we were so worried about it.

Ideally, I'd love there to be no advertising anywhere, but I'd be living in a fantasy world to expect that.

For some reason I can't see any of the images you guys are posting, but I'm sure they're all compelling.

My take on this is that as long as they don't go crazy (like in a number of European leagues we've seen), I don't really care. There's advertising everywhere in hockey right now: on the ice, along the boards (including those annoying lit-up ads in places like NYI), along the glass, TV timeouts etc etc. A couple of small ads on a jersey (I'm thinking similar to those in the AFL) wouldn't do any harm. We'll all get used to it within a week and won't know why we were so worried about it.

Ideally, I'd love there to be no advertising anywhere, but I'd be living in a fantasy world to expect that.

You're right, for some reason they have all disappeared.

I agree. They won't reach extreme Europe levels, at least not initially. It'll probably be similar to the AFL, i.e. something small on the front and big on the back. That's what a lot of Swiss and Russian teams are like, and some of the other richer teams around the continent e.g. Sparta Praha.

Interesting trade..Gonchar for Moen, not for the players..but for the likley domino.

Montreal keen to kick the tyres and take a ping on gonchars slap shot (just dont let him play defense) he probably shouldnt be in the league any more barring some power play depth on the point.

Moen wont add anything more than some grit a power to the 4th line, they might put him on the power play to be in front of the net like morrow used to do, we have nothing else in that regard and our power play struggles as a result, wasting jamie benns talent by putting him there, hopefully moen can give us something there. we do have a few injuries too, so moen can occupy the 4th line with fiddler and horcoff (a very good 2005 line)

From a dallas POV i think we save 3 mil on the cap, and as we are tight maybe another trade is coming for a defenseman??

Gonchar is a UFA and will retire next season, so the habs dont have any cap issues with it..

Interesting thing about that Gonchar-Moen trade is that the Stars retained $400,000 of Gonchar's $5mil salary. It's a surprisingly small amount (8%), which leads me to believe there may be something else coming for the Habs. According to capgeek, they currently have $1.973mil in space.

Penguins better make a contest of this.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back