2014/15 Summer of cricket - Radio Commentary - Compile your lamentations and celebrations here

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is the Pom they have on the ABC at the moment? Have only heard a bit of the commentary and have not been able to catch his name and I don't recognise his voice.

I think you are referring to Charles Dagnall who they call "Daggers". I was listening the other day when it was Aus Vs India and he was pretty good apart from talking about English County cricket way too much.

I really like the 3AW commentary but as a commercial network they seem way too keen to get to the ads. I reckon there are times when the ball hasn't even reached the fielder off the 6th ball of an over and they cut to an ad and then they don't come back until the bowler is in his run-up for the next over. And this is after EVERY over - not just some. It really disrupts the rhythm of the commentary which is otherwise very good.
who cares ill take the ads over listing to fig jam Geoff Lawson

3AW didn't do England's innings today into Melbourne so I had to listen to the ABC for the first time this year. It was disgraceful. Jim Maxwell seemed bored - made no effort to make the game sound interesting at all. The special comment guys I heard were Tasmanian Shield players. Weren't bad but were hardly informative, articulate or thought-provoking. At they had some BBC guy who was straight out pathetic. I know the ABC are cutting corners to save $$$ but it really sounded like amateur hour.

3AW didn't do England's innings today into Melbourne so I had to listen to the ABC for the first time this year. It was disgraceful. Jim Maxwell seemed bored - made no effort to make the game sound interesting at all. The special comment guys I heard were Tasmanian Shield players. Weren't bad but were hardly informative, articulate or thought-provoking. At they had some BBC guy who was straight out pathetic. I know the ABC are cutting corners to save $$$ but it really sounded like amateur hour.
Pay peanuts - get monkeys - that's what we've got - B Grade cricketers loose cannons and Transgender army personnel and poor old Jim Maxwell hanging on until he can retire or get paid to go away. Thanks a lot Tony!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are ABC radio meant to be broadcasting all the matches? I am trying to listen to the Pakistan v West Indies match on their digital station but there is a boxing show on :confused:

It appears to be a catastrophe in the making!

EDIT: After the worst start in ODI history (4/1, yes 4 wickets for 1 run), Pakistan have made it to 7/144. Still going to be thumped, but not by biblical proportions.

Last edited:
Have to say I am very much enjoying the various ABC commentaries of the WC matches. A good variety of commentators which means you don't get sick of any one person (well, except for maybe Boycott..). Lots of Kiwi commentators I've never come across before who seem to be very funny (sometimes unintentionally :p ).

Have to say I am very much enjoying the various ABC commentaries of the WC matches. A good variety of commentators which means you don't get sick of any one person (well, except for maybe Boycott..). Lots of Kiwi commentators I've never come across before who seem to be very funny (sometimes unintentionally :p ).
Brian Wardell is funny only when the Kiwis are winning, Jerry Coney has always been very good at it, I like listening to Boycs and Aggers, puts our last summer to shame.

Brian Wardell is funny only when the Kiwis are winning, Jerry Coney has always been very good at it, I like listening to Boycs and Aggers, puts our last summer to shame.
Easily the all time worst summer of radio (ABC) and television (Nine) commentary.

What are peoples thoughts on Graeme Swann? I reckon he is quite good. Nice sense of humour, but remains pretty focused on the game offering some pretty interesting insights on players he's come up against recently.

Geez, Boycott is a miserable old bugger. Doesn't have a positive thing to say about anyone. All for listening to guys who call it as they see it, but he must be one depressing guy to be around.

Yes, I don't mind Swann considering I thought him a campaigner of the highest order when he played. The problem with Boycott is not so much what he says it's his tone and the way he expresses himself, most of the Poms I know hate him too. He's funny in small doses but his moaning get on one's goat after awhile.

Just happy any time to hear Flemo on radio or tv. Has the right mixture of being relaxed, funny and also able to still make serious comment between his banter to wind up his other commentators. I miss not hearing Michael Holding and David Hookes. Really loved in one year when they were commentators for Aussie tour of West Indies. Don't mind hearing AB on tv from time to time but not caught much of world cup to know if he on tv coverage. Well, the limited tv coverage there is on free to air tv.

Watching the game last night, having the radio on as well. I thought I was listening to Russell Arnold on tv, before going to radio during the commercial. I then hear a guy with the similar voice to Arnold, before it was acknowledged it was him. "Who was the guy on tv????" It was Sanjay Manjrekar :oops:

There's a woman doing the commentary for the Eng/Bang game atm. She's actually pretty good, and I'm satisfied with her being a caller. If you're actually good, being a woman won't matter. But when there's tokenism, which has benefited Kellie Underwood's career the most, that's when a woman's presence becomes a problem.

Watching the game last night, having the radio on as well. I thought I was listening to Russell Arnold on tv, before going to radio during the commercial. I then hear a guy with the similar voice to Arnold, before it was acknowledged it was him. "Who was the guy on tv????" It was Sanjay Manjrekar :oops:

There's a woman doing the commentary for the Eng/Bang game atm. She's actually pretty good, and I'm satisfied with her being a caller. If you're actually good, being a woman won't matter. But when there's tokenism, which has benefited Kellie Underwood's career the most, that's when a woman's presence becomes a problem.

I don't mind her either, it's Ebony Rainford-Brent, former England player.

Just happy any time to hear Flemo on radio or tv. Has the right mixture of being relaxed, funny and also able to still make serious comment between his banter to wind up his other commentators. I miss not hearing Michael Holding and David Hookes. Really loved in one year when they were commentators for Aussie tour of West Indies. Don't mind hearing AB on tv from time to time but not caught much of world cup to know if he on tv coverage. Well, the limited tv coverage there is on free to air tv.

Holding's been doing some work for Cricinfo's panel show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back