2014/2015 pre season thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not so sure , Ken played Neade in 2013 when he probably could've left him to build in the SANFL and Impey last year so maybe Ken picks the best young player for the year and gives them a go , could be Amon this year

The start of 2013 we we're labeled the 'basket case' of the competition. Of course Ken was going to give young players a shot if they had shown enough throughout the preseason to warrant selection. We were effectively in a rebuilding stage at the time. We are now in the position for a flag, Ken will select whoever meets the teams needs week to week, we picked Krak because he has shown he has the talent and can fill many roles if needed. If he gets selected ahead of Young or Amon then they just have to go into the SANFL and work just as hard to warrant selection. Doesn't matter how many games you've played, your age, what matters right now is your form and the roll you will have in winning that week. In kern we trust.

I'm not saying I particularly agree with playing young guys perhaps ahead of their time , just that Ken has done it the last two years and he may again . Some teams like that as a theory to bring in a youngster even the top teams , it adds romance and a little freshening up of the team .
Not saying I agree just wouldn't rule it out .

If Ken likes playing young guys because they are young he would have played Harvey. Jake and Jarman had what Ken craves - speed.

I have no doubt that if the Kraks fitness is at the required level, then at some stage he will have the form and opportunity to get a senior game. He has too much talent and flexibility not to.

Friday's temperature has now been bumped up to 37C - looks as if it'll be a stinker for the family day, folks!!!
I was going to "like" this post but that seemed inappropriate.

What is it with the forecast at the moment? When I was in England I expected the 14-day forecast to be up to 13 degrees wrong, more sometimes. But I've lived in Australia nearly 50 years(although we went back for 18 months in the 70s) and the forecast, once it's made, is rarely more than a few degrees out.

I was going to "like" this post but that seemed inappropriate.

What is it with the forecast at the moment? When I was in England I expected the 14-day forecast to be up to 13 degrees wrong, more sometimes. But I've lived in Australia nearly 50 years(although we went back for 18 months in the 70s) and the forecast, once it's made, is rarely more than a few degrees out.

The bureau only ever did 2-3 days ahead until last few years ... When all these other places like weatherzone or sky channel603 etc started doing 4 days and 7 days forecasts BOM decided it needed to match them ... hence more errors nowadays ... Each interprets data and forecast maps differently

The bureau only ever did 2-3 days ahead until last few years ... When all these other places like weatherzone or sky channel603 etc started doing 4 days and 7 days forecasts BOM decided it needed to match them ... hence more errors nowadays ... Each interprets data and forecast maps differently
Lately there have been differences, one site said 31 and another 34. But when one site said 24 so did both the others. It looks a bit like for the long range forecast they just copy each other.

I've always enjoyed the family day . Friday nights are good for a relaxing few beers and watch the game .
Last year was a doozy , was by myself and I sat in one of the trainers boxes on the boundary to keep out of the heat . I was impressed by the intensity and skills .
It's good taking kids too depending on how much time you've got to be getting autographs etc . Or if you've got the money to buy them some merch .
I mostly go to check out the new guys and get a feel for who might step up . I'd maybe expect Butcher to show something . Mason Shaw ,Harvey, Amon, Byrne Jones , Clurey . Paul Stewart , Mitchell , Young , Moore , White , Impey , Neade as. Gray , etc should all be out to try and get a break on their competition for spots and would be looking to make an impression .
Should be a good night and it starts the ball rolling finally for the year .

I'm sure with 3-4 'practice matches' against decent opposition, the ability to rotate through each match up to 26-27 players, Ken will be putting the heat on all fringe players to put their best foot forward. Good luck to em all and if Krak is in better form than Amon or Young or DBJ or Impey then i'd expect him to be a strong chance for rd1.

But that might not be as simple as it looks with guys like Amon and Impey showing improvement.

Great situation to be in. Without pressure you cant make a diamond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure with 3-4 'practice matches' against decent opposition, the ability to rotate through each match up to 26-27 players, Ken will be putting the heat on all fringe players to put their best foot forward. Good luck to em all and if Krak is in better form than Amon or Young or DBJ or Impey then i'd expect him to be a strong chance for rd1.

But that might not be as simple as it looks with guys like Amon and Impey showing improvement.

Great situation to be in. Without pressure you cant make a diamond.

The diamond is always made with pressure, and we are slowly getting a fist full of diamonds

I would rather we give Impey, Young and Amon a chance of playing AFL first instead of playing a 26yr old who has failed at his two previous attempts at AFL.
It might be harsh but that is how I feel.
It's not harsh, it's just dumb! We don't draft a player onto the list, then say we are are not going to give him a game because he failed before!!! Double dumb! If we felt that way, then we just don't draft him in the first place.

Show some loyalty man! He did the hard yards last year, and he "got what he deserved" ... A place on our list. If he is best man for the job come selection for round 1, then I will be cheering for him on game day!

I'm not so sure , Ken played Neade in 2013 when he probably could've left him to build in the SANFL and Impey last year so maybe Ken picks the best young player for the year and gives them a go , could be Amon this year
Neade played because he earned it. Impey played because we were short of speedy lock-down defenders. When these guyed played they were both ready. Nobody has really been gifted games. As for Krak, his SANFL form was impressive. Adding him to the rookie list benefits our team because it gives us depth and adds another possible gem to our team. If we want to have a tilt towards the flag this year Krak is a better option than a developing player because we already have a young team and we need backup in case of injuries. It's just good recruiting.

At least we get to see Ryder once this pre-season.

inb4 we paid 700k for one intra-club appearance and nothing else. Who even knows how this ASADA s**t will go down. I wonder if the different degrees of co-operation from the different players will account for anything. Crameri, Ryder et al have done nothing but wish to co-operate, while others have threatened boycotts and all sorts. Such an unknown.

inb4 we paid 700k for one intra-club appearance and nothing else. Who even knows how this ASADA s**t will go down. I wonder if the different degrees of co-operation from the different players will account for anything. Crameri, Ryder et al have done nothing but wish to co-operate, while others have threatened boycotts and all sorts. Such an unknown.
Crameri yes, but Ryder and Gus were still happy to represented along with those at Essendon. I've been disappointed they didn't split from them and send them down the river. Just not being based at Essendon isn't enough to get a lighter deal.

Crameri yes, but Ryder and Gus were still happy to represented along with those at Essendon. I've been disappointed they didn't split from them and send them down the river. Just not being based at Essendon isn't enough to get a lighter deal.
I suspect we need to go with the Essendon players as the AFL may need to make an example of some of the players to show they are tough on this. PA players would become a soft target. Impact on Essendon then would be kept to a minimum.

Amon will follow Brad Hill's curve, play 5 games this year. Krak on the News tonight, cut a super figure, looked fit, trim and had a decent V from shoulders to hips. The work in 12 months he has put in, rule nothing out, impossible is the new Nathan Krakour!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back