2014 Academy/Father-son Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Was that the case even as the year wore on? To be honest, I don't really know where they rated during the year, and that's a valid criticism if he did have them high up there.

Mainly earlier in the year had them top 20-30

Mainly earlier in the year had them top 20-30

Yeah, fair enough. It seems unlikely any recruiters went from rating them top 30 to rookie and undrafted over the course of their last year, particularly as we took kids in the ND who barely played in their last years.

In any case, regardless of where KM rates him, it's encouraging to see Keays ticking a lot of boxes.

I think Knightmare tends to overrate the academy kids to support his opinion that the academies give the clubs a massive advantage.

That being the case......
.....if you try often enough, eventually you'll get one correct......
...........and this time he is spot on.

Clayton - 16 possessions (10 kicks, 6 handballs), 5 marks, 3 goals
Roos - 30 possessions (14 kicks, 16 handballs), 17 handball receives, 6 marks, 4 tackles
Paige Cardona said on twitter that he is a hard worker. She was spot on, 17 handball receives is really good.

I really think we should pick up both Clayton and Roos under the father-son bidding, accounting for the academy picks we would likely be using 4/5 round or even 5/6 round picks on them and they seem like pretty good value for that minimum investment.

Definitely a consistent theme if you look through his match stats for this season. A lot of his disposals seem to come from handball receives.
I'm no expert, but isn't it normally considered to be something of a negative for players at that sort of level to be getting such a large portion of their possessions from handball receives?

IMO it can be a good thing and a bad thing. On the negatives it shows that he might be too much outside and doesn't win enough of his own ball (not sure if this is the case for Roos without looking at CP), whereas on the positives it demonstrates that he works very hard and can read the play to be in the position to receive these handballs. He may just have a strong presence one field and demands the ball more so than others or he may be a good user of the ball and the team utilises that with some freebies on the outside. I don't know as I have never seen him play or his team.

IMO it can be a good thing and a bad thing. On the negatives it shows that he might be too much outside and doesn't win enough of his own ball (not sure if this is the case for Roos without looking at CP), whereas on the positives it demonstrates that he works very hard and can read the play to be in the position to receive these handballs. He may just have a strong presence one field and demands the ball more so than others or he may be a good user of the ball and the team utilises that with some freebies on the outside. I don't know as I have never seen him play or his team.

It's a great asset to have if the player uses the ball well; Roos does not :thumbsdown:

I'm no expert, but isn't it normally considered to be something of a negative for players at that sort of level to be getting such a large portion of their possessions from handball receives?
Someone's gotta receive those handballs, may as well be him.

Someone's gotta receive those handballs, may as well be him.
Certainly a good skill to have and indicates he is running well. I think the suggestion might be that his possessions are too heavily weighted toward receiving it rather than winning/dishing it out. That's a high percentage of receives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thanks great effort and would love to see dawson next week aswell. much appreciated :)

Liam Dawson (#38) - NEAFL Preliminary Final - for Aspley vs GWS.

(Harris Andrews to follow)

not afraid to mix it up in the marking contests for mark or spoil and looks like a decent long kick (if ill directed at times).

agree re: getting down to the ball played quite upright. wonder if thats a sign of a tight back or hammys at the end of a long season.

like about the second last play where he presented about 3-4 times for different players on teh switch through the middle of the ground and ended up getting hte ball on the forward flank.

If we were to take Roos and he played a game against Melbourne. Would that be the first time someone has played against a team coached by their dad?

If we were to take Roos and he played a game against Melbourne. Would that be the first time someone has played against a team coached by their dad?
It's happened in the NBA but not sure about afl

Roos pretty much out of the picture according to Emma Quayle...

Reading between the lines family ties might pull him. Either that or he may have more interest from other clubs.

Maybe he didn't come across as not really wanting to go to the Lions. I think being a marginal selection anyway if he didn't come across as super keen to come up we probably would rather give his spot to someone who does. Clayton on the other hand you can tell has quit a love for our club.

Maybe he didn't come across as not really wanting to go to the Lions. I think being a marginal selection anyway if he didn't come across as super keen to come up we probably would rather give his spot to someone who does. Clayton on the other hand you can tell has quit a love for our club.

The word is 'speculative'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back