Analysis 2014 AFL Awards

Remove this Banner Ad

What a terrible metaphor. If anything Lewie is Mini Cooper works; or a lotus...
If he was a half decent journo with an eye for popular culture he would have worked the Mini Cooper into an entire Italian Job metaphor with the Mozzie Coopers stealing games from the opposition.

A new voting system

The Merrett-Murray Medal will be presented for the first time this Friday night under a new voting system devised by the Brisbane Lions’ Match Committee during the off-season. Lions.com.au can now reveal that players were allocated up to 12 votes per game in 2014, based on the team’s three core principles. A detailed explanation of the new voting system is as follows:

The Senior Coach and Assistant Coaches allocate votes based on the players’ overall performance, influence on the game, team contribution/role, and compliance with our Team Values and the core areas of the Game Plan.

1. There is no restriction on the number of players who can receive votes.

2. Each line coach will grade and allocate a maximum of four votes to a player in each of the three areas of the Game Plan (offence, defence, contest) the maximum votes a player can receive in a match is 12.

3. The player’s Game Plan compliance is reviewed when allocating votes across each of the three areas. Coaches will consider a player’s ability to consistently demonstrate and apply our Team Values smart (offence), organised (defence), relentless (contest) over the course of the game.

4. Each line coach submits their votes on Monday morning for rigorous discussion and comparison with players from other lines.

5. Votes are finalised following this process.

Lions nominees for MVP

Tom Rockliff, Pearce Hanley, and Stefan Martin have been selected by their teammates as the Brisbane Lions’ nominees for the Leigh Matthews Trophy – presented to the 2014 AFL Players’ MVP. A total of 54 players have been nominated – three from each AFL club – to win the prestigious award that is decided by their peers, the players. Rockliff, Hanley and Martin were obviously held in the highest esteem by their teammates. Although not surprising, Martin’s inclusion in the group of Lions nominees is quite remarkable considering he missed the opening half of the season with a back complaint. His impact in the final 11 rounds, however, was significant.

Other Lions players nominated for AFL Players awards include: Joel Patfull (Most Courageous Player), Lewis Taylor (Best First Year Player), and Jed Adcock (Best Captain).

The awards season

AFL Rising Star - Wednesday 3 September 2014 The Lions will have three eligible players – James Aish, Lewy Taylor, and Darcy Gardiner – vying for the Ron Evans Medal as the competition’s best young player in 2014.

Brisbane Lions Club Champion Dinner - Friday 5 September 2014
If there was a market on the Lions Club Champion, Tom Rockliff would sit as the pre-count favourite following a standout season which saw him average a Club record 32.7 disposals.

AFL Players’ Awards - Tuesday 9 September 2014 Three Lions players – Tom Rockliff, Stefan Martin, and Pearce Hanley – were selected by their teammates as the Club’s three nominations for the Leigh Matthews Trophy, awarded to the AFL Players’ MVP. Lewy Taylor edged out James Aish as the Lions’ nominee for the Best First Year Player, and should be a real chance to claim the award. Joel Patfull (Most Courageous player) and Jed Adcock (Best Captain) have also been nominated for awards.

AFL All-Australian - Tuesday 16 September 2014 Vice-Captain Tom Rockliff will surely be selected in the AFL’s Team of the Year for the first time in 2014, on the back of an outstanding season.

AFL Coaches’ Association Awards - Tuesday 23 September 2014 Some of the other awards set to be handed out throughout the evening include: Best Young Player (incorporating the past two seasons), Development Coach of the Year, Assistant Coach of the Year, and Senior Coach of the Year.

Brownlow Medal - Monday 22 September 2014 Tom Rockliff finished equal fifth last year with 21 votes, and should probably poll more in 2014 considering his outstanding form. However, the Vice-Captain is ineligible to win after being suspended twice throughout the season.

Good luck to Lewy Taylor today in the first of what will be a number of award winners.

This might have been posted on another thread and I haven't seen it:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-27/who-will-be-this-years-rising-star

It won't surprise anyone to know that I believe Taylor should win it ahead of Bontempelli.

But if the voting goes along similar lines and they end up the clear two frontrunners then I'll be pretty happy regardless.

Around about round 13 or 14 Taylor seemed to have been totally lost in the discussion. It's good to see that through consistently good performances he's seemingly worked his way into contention.

I think Bontempelli will win, Taylor has had the more consistent season and deserves it, but sadly the Victorian players are in the media eyes a lot more than the Queensland folk, the feedback I have had is Bontempelli has had a few outstanding games, but if you are awarding the best first year player over the entire season than Taylor should get the nod.

I think Bontompelli will end up the better player, but has he done more in 16 games than Taylor has in all 22? I don't think so. It depends how they vote. If they are giving it to the best 'rising star' or the one who has shown more flashes of brilliance, then Bontompelli should win. If they vote on who has been more valuable to their team over the course of this season then it should be Taylor. I'm happy either way.

'Better' is relative. I haven't seen Bonts play but form what I have heard he has game turning talent, but I feel the same way about Lewey, especially once his decision making matures.
I also think Jimmy Aish stands to be the most consistent but less flashy of the three. I hate drawing analogies between players as they always fall over eventually (and I'm terrible at analogies) but Aish reminds me in style of Nigel Lappin, a quiet game winner and role player.
Flash wins these things usually though and its down to Brisbane flash or Melbourne flash, so Melbourne flash wins every time.
Jimmy Aish will just have to call 'Frodo'.
Big-Bang-Theory-flash_400.jpg

Well we all know that supercoach awards are the ones that really matter, in which case congratulations too....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-supercoach-2014/story-fnp04d70-1227046184861

SUPERCOACH MVP

Nominees: J.Selwood, S.Pendlebury, S.Jacobs, R.Sloane, N.Fyfe, R.Gray, T.Rockliff, G.Ablett

And the winner is ... Tom Rockliff

Narrowly edging out Joel Selwood, Tom Rockliff was the most damaging SuperCoach player this season. Some might say he missed the Grand Final but many coaches wouldn’t have reached the last weekend in August without the Lions dynamo. An average of 132 was second only to Gary Ablett. He scored 15 centuries in 18 games with a high of 182. A staggering 10 scores were over 130 and six of those were 150 plus.

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Nominees: J.McGovern, W.Langford, M.Bontempelli, L.Dunstan, Z.Merrett, L.Taylor, T. Langdon, L.McDonald

And the winner is ... Lewis Taylor

While the Lions young gun only averaged 63 and scored two hundreds, he played all 22 games and saw his price rise $213,900. His midfield-forward flexibility only added to his value.

COACHES AWARD

And the winner is ... Stef Martin

Burst on to the scene in Round 12 and never looked back. Those that picked him up for just $242,700 were cheering all the way to the bank as he scored 10 hundreds in 12 games with a low score of 89.

Aish leading rising star after 2 votes

Aish 8

Squizzy 5

Mark Evans gave taylor a 5 ling gave him nothing (ffs lingy)

Aish got 3 from evans 5 from Ling

Just saw this. Baffling that Taylor could go without ANY votes. Still only 1 behind the Bont though.

VOTE UPDATE:

Votes have been cast from:

Glen Jakovich - Taylor (5), Aish (4), Bontempelli (3), McDonald (2), Dunstan (1)

Warren Tredrea - McDonald (5), Bontempelli (4), Taylor (3), Kolodjashnij (2), Impey (1)

Luke Darcy - Bontempelli (5), McDonald (4), Taylor (3), Kolodjashnij (2), Aish (1)

So the leaderboard reads -

Bontempelli - 18 votes

Taylor - 16 votes

McDonald - 15 votes

Aish 13 votes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back