2014 AFL Draft Combine

Remove this Banner Ad

I know some harp on drafting in footballers as opposed to athletes but if that's the best those boys have got when it comes to hops, makes the AFL look rather amateurish at best.
Was also running vertical test too.

You watch those American draft combines for the NFL, MLB & NBA and it's just crazy. Even their poorly tested athletes are the equal of Naitanui :D

It's a question of spots to available population though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article picking the brain of "Shifter" Sheehan.

...Sheehan considers midfielders Angus Brayshaw and Christian Petracca and tall forwards Peter Wright and Patrick McCartin all good enough to be No.1...

...On this year's draft, Sheehan said: "It's got depth and it's got class up top. I'd be very optimistic about it being a great year to stock your list up."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...in-sheehan-20140930-10o67i.html#ixzz3EqiABsoL

The names he suggests won't surprise many but Sam Durdin is another who came home strong in the latter part of the year and had a great U18 GF for West Adelaide recently.

Just musing on the draft and the combine in general. We have a sport where the best players are the hard bodies pro's in their mid to late 20's. We draft 18 year old kids and cut them by the time they are 20 if they aren't showing enough. I wonder how many 22-23-24 year olds are out there who if given a second go would be those 28 year old premiership players after a few seasons. Its not always a physical thing, some draftees are just mentally children who need time to grow up.

I often wonder if its worth spending the later round picks not on kids but on those older guys Im talking about.

DAY ONE DRAFT COMBINE RESULTS
Standing Vertical Jump (cm)

1. Marvin Baynham 88
2. Jarrod Garlett 76
2. Nathan Drummond 76
4. Christian Petracca 74
5. Nakia Cockatoo 73
5. James Rose 73
7. Dean Gore 72
7. Nicholas Coughlan 72
7. Evan Bruinsma 72
7. Reece McKenzie 72
7. Tom Read 72
Running vertical jump (cm)
1. Evan Bruinsma 97
2. Marvin Baynham 95
3. Daniel McKenzie 94
4. Billy Gowers 93
5. Nathan Drummond 90
6. Nakia Cockatoo 89
7. Matthew Uebergang 87
7. Mitch McGovern 87
7. James Rose 87
7. Matthew Hammelmann 87

I know some harp on drafting in footballers as opposed to athletes but if that's the best those boys have got when it comes to hops, makes the AFL look rather amateurish at best.
Was also running vertical test too.

You watch those American draft combines for the NFL, MLB & NBA and it's just crazy. Even their poorly tested athletes are the equal of Naitanui :D

posted this jokingly in the recruit thread as our next ruckman:

leaps.png

http://dimemag.com/2014/09/jeremy-evans-breaks-vertical-record-touching-12-feet-9-inches/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back