List Mgmt. 2014 AFL Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, much more worried about them than GWS personally

I feared GWS when the compiled Boyd, Cameron and Patton. You only need a half decent midfield to be dangerous with that.

They lost 1 leg of the tripod, one of the other legs is broken and I can't see Cameron playing out his career there personally.

They are all currency of course, and Boyd has turned into Griffen and Marchbank effectively but the prospect of those three kept them on track with the GC.

Now it's not even close, GC have some very solid talls in Thompson and Lynch, but their midfield is so ******* ridiculous it's not funny.

It's almost like the 80's arms race with GWS and GC.

On a side note, the Gold Coast.....****.

How's the bash brothers trio they are going to have...... Bennell, Martin and Garlett rotating from the wings through forward.

Casually with the likes of O'Meara, Swallow, Ablett, Prestia dishing it out to them.

Is going to be absolute mayhem.

The only hope is that some of them get offers to leave otherwise Brisbane's threepeat could be made to look second rate.

I feared GWS when the compiled Boyd, Cameron and Patton. You only need a half decent midfield to be dangerous with that.

They lost 1 leg of the tripod, one of the other legs is broken and I can't see Cameron playing out his career there personally.

They are all currency of course, and Boyd has turned into Griffen and Marchbank effectively but the prospect of those three kept them on track with the GC.

Now it's not even close, GC have some very solid talls in Thompson and Lynch, but their midfield is so ******* ridiculous it's not funny.

It's almost like the 80's arms race with GWS and GC.
Yeah GWS had the more impressive forward line this year but even before the draft / trade period I didn't think their midfield was gonna compete with GC's.

I also don't think you can underestimate the impact one G. Ablett will have on GC's batch of future midfield stars. Meanwhile GWS's are learning from Scully... LOL

Wells and Harvey wont be there forever im not sure about Higgins having genuine speed and im also surprised to read Kings article that we now have the Oldest list in the Comp with getting Waite and Higgins!!

Yeah GWS had the more impressive forward line this year but even before the draft / trade period I didn't think their midfield was gonna compete with GC's.

I also don't think you can underestimate the impact one G. Ablett will have on GC's batch of future midfield stars. Meanwhile GWS's are learning from Scully... LOL

Griffen now.................

Look GWS added Pickett which is a type they were crying out for.

They aren't exactly short on the talent factor either.

Treloar, Shiel, Coniglio, Smith, Greene, Ward, Griffen, Whitfield, Kelly, Pickett, Ahern............ nothing to be sneezed at.

Whitfield, Kelly, Coniglio and Treloar were all better juniors than Petracca imho.

Even if the likes of Treloar and Shiel return home next year, teams will sell the farm for them, they may lose a little in residual value, but they will restock.

Easily fixed.

Out: Gibson, Grima, Firitto,
In: Garner, Harper, Dumont
Why not make it
Out: Harvey, Petrie, Wells
In: Durdin, Nielson, VW

Would be equally as good for the team and have more of an effect on the avg age

Treloar, Shiel, Coniglio, Smith, Greene, Ward, Griffen, Whitfield, Kelly, Pickett, Ahern............ nothing to be sneezed at.

Whitfield, Kelly, Coniglio and Treloar were all better juniors than Petracca imho.
I know. But griffin has shown himself to be a s**t leader in the last month and despite the obvious talent at GWS, I'd still take GC's group

I know. But griffin has shown himself to be a s**t leader in the last month and despite the obvious talent at GWS, I'd still take GC's group

As would I, but as I said it's an arms race.

The funny thing being, with Gold Coast getting better, they will naturally even out like all the other sides in terms of getting later draft picks over the next few years.

GWS is still very much in the embrionic stage, they will add a few more top 5 picks before their steep incline imo, who knows what that could get them....

Even if the likes of Treloar and Shiel return home next year, teams will sell the farm for them, they may lose a little in residual value, but they will restock.
GWS's midfield bats so *ing deep now with pickett and ahern added, i've got a feeling they are stockpiling so they can trade in the future. Hoskin-elliot could still be anything too.

Oh and don't forget PALMER!! He breaks legs for a living.

As would I, but as I said it's an arms race.

The funny thing being, with Gold Coast getting better, they will naturally even out like all the other sides in terms of getting later draft picks over the next few years.

GWS is still very much in the embrionic stage, they will add a few more top 5 picks before their steep incline imo, who knows what that could get them....

True. Hopefully the 'go home' factor tears both lists down a peg before they get too far ahead of the comp (or they hire the old footy department from Melbourne to 'develop' their talent :p)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS's midfield bats so ruddy deep now with pickett and ahern added, i've got a feeling they are stockpiling so they can trade in the future. Hoskin-elliot could still be anything too.

Oh and don't forget PALMER!! He breaks legs for a living.

Rofl, case in point, I missed WHE, probably their most impressive prospect in my eyes. He's probably GWS' answer to Bennell.

Rofl, case in point, I missed WHE, probably their most impressive prospect in my eyes. He's probably GWS' answer to Bennell.

Given almost their entire list is top 20 picks it's hard not to miss someone

Making the move of playing Atley through the midfield regularly in 2015 will feel like having a new recruit in itself, just with a matured body and valuable finals experience.

Atley must be moving to the midfield. Our lack of speed or outside run is a bit of a worry IMO. Doesn't look good for C Delaney after drafting those 3. Durdin was a good get though. He was supposed to go early I thought

Atley must be moving to the midfield. Our lack of speed or outside run is a bit of a worry IMO. Doesn't look good for C Delaney after drafting those 3. Durdin was a good get though. He was supposed to go early I thought
Slated as a #10 in a phantom draft posted on the NMFC website.

Nielson looks like a Scotty Thompson replacement down the track. Great highlights package.

Vickers-Willis is a slightly bigger version of MacMillan. Will end up in the midfield as a big inside mid IMO.

Just hope Durdin lives up to his potential. At pick 16 we can't afford to fail. He has to become a KP we build around almost.

I am very happy with this draft.

Durdin is a fantastic player who will bring some much needed height to our back line and will fill out nicely. Athletic and skillful for a guy his size and a good contested mark. For these reasons, Shifter Sheahan identified him as the player most surprising to have slipped beyond the top 10. I agree with Pykie that really top shelf defenders are extremely rare and so this was a great pick up. Must have been hard to let Laverde go, but I am comfortable this was a great get.

Dan Nielson is a very athletic player really well equipped to play full back, with great speed and agility. Could argue that he went early at 25, but it's hard to identify a KPP or onballer who would have been a better option. Maybe Menadue would have been a good pick up here and Toby McLean and Tom Lamb would have given the Fanbois something to fondle themselves over, but maybe these guys will all be soft spuds that never get a kick. Neilson is a shinboner and with Durdin will create a fortress in the Roos backline that will last a decade.

Very happy with Vickers-Willis at 36 who reads the play extremely well and is a great kick. His ability to find the ball and dispose of it cleanly saw him gain All Australian selection this year. At 190cm he is an ideal Firrito replacement, but with a narrower frame and better skill and judgement. Think Michael Johnson from Freo. Whilst not super quick, he is a complete player, listed in the top 20-30 for most informed phantoms and by Champion Data. I am confident there was not an obviously better player available at this pick, perhaps other than Neal-Bullen who was picked at 40, but he is a poor man's Cunnington and not what we needed.

All three of these guys are really really good prospects.

For those unhappy that we did not pick up an outside type player, keep in mind:
1. Only Laverde could (maybe) be argued to be a better pick than Durdin
2. We have already added a quality outside player in Higgins to our list
3. If an outside player is not top shelf, he comes with a name like Grigg, Lucas, Varcoe, Jetta or Davey. No thanks - better off waiting till next year.
4. We have numerous running players being groomed to play in the midfield. VW in the backline could enable Mullett, Atley or LMac into the midfield. And then there's at least one of Garner, Wood and Harper to come in as well. And if that's not enough....there's always next year!

Well done North on a dour but very successful draft!

Last edited:

Judging by his physique, Ats is moving upfield.

Bit surprised at the selections, if Durdin plays like Harry Taylor we are laughing
Neilson looks v raw but has a bit of acceleration for a big bloke, like Scotty T as someone has said, he does wot Grima does Im guessing
And VW hopefully the adaptable back with some skill

The other side of the coin of all the quick players going to other clubs, is who do we play on them?
For that reason I doubt Ats will go to the middle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back