List Mgmt. 2014 AFL Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doesn't have a dirty name that BF posters can exploit, not interested. :stern look

Not yet anyway. But Laverdetory anyone?

**Memo from Moderators re 2015 Offseason Gameplan**

As you may have seen leaked via the North Melbourne board the 2015 offseason gameplan will feature a departure from phallic references.

Instead we are taking a "back to the future" retro faux postmodern approach with toilet based humour being the new posting style de rigeur.

Poo, wee, bottoms, auto-soiling - we'll be exploring the sort of language that would make a 7 year old turn away shaking their head at the immaturity of it all.

In lust,
Twinkletoes, Radical Roo et al

Not yet anyway. But Laverdetory anyone?

**Memo from Moderators re 2015 Offseason Gameplan**

As you may have seen leaked via the North Melbourne board the 2015 offseason gameplan will feature a departure from phallic references.

Instead we are taking a "back to the future" retro faux postmodern approach with toilet based humour being the new posting style de rigeur.

Poo, wee, bottoms, auto-soiling - we'll be exploring the sort of language that would make a 7 year old turn away shaking their head at the immaturity of it all.

In lust,
Twinkletoes, Radical Roo et al
Knew I shouldn't have missed the last Chaddy Food Court catch up in favour of an Ashely and Martin appointment.

Knew I shouldn't have missed the last Chaddy Food Court catch up in favour of an Ashely and Martin appointment.

A&M? Surprised you didn't run into them anyway. TT mentioned something about the afterparty being at an A&M club. At least I think he said A&M.

Just watched the Lamb (192cm), Goddard (196cm), Langford (190cm) clips. I dunno, but to me, they are all capable overhead marks, fine in space, but very, very slow and not at all what we'd need. I know Goddard is expected to go sooner, thankfully, but the others are said to be in our range for 16. Hope we go for a pacy midfielder; any of the three Indigenous kids look good, with Cockatoo preferred.

Just watched the Lamb (192cm), Goddard (196cm), Langford (190cm) clips. I dunno, but to me, they are all capable overhead marks, fine in space, but very, very slow and not at all what we'd need. I know Goddard is expected to go sooner, thankfully, but the others are said to be in our range for 16. Hope we go for a pacy midfielder; any of the three Indigenous kids look good, with Cockatoo preferred.

I don't really rate the talls apart from a few, I've said it all year, the top end talls are ok, the rest are a little meh. Goddard is one that will be pretty good at the next level. Has a bit of quickness about him and has some really broad shoulders for a kid, will develop into a really good size in a few years, could see him becoming a Cale Hooker type at CHB.

I'd definately be looking at the mids with the first picks anyway, we lost a key one, and imo it's good practice to have 2-3 early young ones developing each year in the VFL.

If Dumont steps up, that would make Garner, #16, McKenzie.

I don't really rate the talls apart from a few, I've said it all year, the top end talls are ok, the rest are a little meh. Goddard is one that will be pretty good at the next level. Has a bit of quickness about him and has some really broad shoulders for a kid, will develop into a really good size in a few years, could see him becoming a Cale Hooker type at CHB.

I'd definately be looking at the mids with the first picks anyway, we lost a key one, and imo it's good practice to have 2-3 early young ones developing each year in the VFL.

If Dumont steps up, that would make Garner, #16, McKenzie.
Pykie, the question with Cockatoo nows seems to have shifted from "Should we take him as high as 16?" to "Will he still be there at 16?" Thoughts?

Pykie, the question with Cockatoo nows seems to have shifted from "Should we take him as high as 16?" to "Will he still be there at 16?" Thoughts?

I think he will last, but tbh I'd be pretty comfortable with him at 16 if he was the right option, by that, I mean there are no other sliders to select.

I think he will last, but tbh I'd be pretty comfortable with him at 16 if he was the right option, by that, I mean there are no other sliders to select.
How does he stack up against Menadue and Langford in terms of projecting toward a midfield role? There seem to be concerns re his ability to offer much on the inside, and comparisons with Travis Varcoe scare the bejesus out of me.

Sorry to intrude but this has been done to death. If he's there we should take him I think just purely for his X factor.

I agree on Goddard as well. I was very impressed with his marking one on one and think he will turn out to be quite a good key defender.

As my posts would suggest, I'm working my way through some of the draftee highlight clips and just watched Viojo-Rainbow's video. Very impressive, particularly when you consider some of the phantoms have him going around pick 50, or in the case of Paige Cardona, at 35. If he was still there at 36, he'd be a great pick up imo. Good decision maker, neat skills and doesn't mind taking the game on. Reminds me of a cross between Wellsy (without the pace) and Jmac.

Here's what Paige says about him:

Pick 35: Adelaide – Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

Position: Defender/midfielder
Height: 185 cm, Weight: 80 kg, DOB: 08/02/1996
Club: Western Jets
Projected draft range: 25-40
Plays like: Shannon Hurn

A penetrating and attacking rebounding defender, Dillon Viojo-Rainbow has a number of tools and traits that could see him develop into a 200-game player. He has a thumping yet accurate left foot that’s drawn comparisons to Shannon Hurn, along with the way he attacks the ball and likes to get up the ground. He hits the ball hard, flat and over long distances, while his intercept marking is also a stength. On top of that, he has deft touch at ground level and makes good decisions with the ball. He can be relied upon to take kick ins, and is often the Western Jets’ link-up player in defence, getting involved heavily in scoring chains. Being named in the bests in eight of a possible 10 games, Viojo-Rainbow has been used predominantly off half back but looks as though he could mould into a wingman with further development. In the TAC Cup, he’s been played in a number of varying roles: it’s that particular versatility that’ll be looked upon favourably in November. Of his strengths, Viojo-Rainbow’s run and carry, ability to read the ball in flight and his disposal by foot are the hallmarks of his game. He currently averages 16 disposals and five marks per game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is the draft so far away from everything?

27th of November is ridiculous.

It's to enable the kids to finish their VCE exams before getting drafted.

How does he stack up against Menadue and Langford in terms of projecting toward a midfield role? There seem to be concerns re his ability to offer much on the inside, and comparisons with Travis Varcoe scare the bejesus out of me.
If that's a comment on his potential weakness as a junior it doesn't especially bother me at this stage. I would like to think with our current squad we can afford to carry/develop that side of his game, particularly if his outside upside :drunk: offsets it. He's got the frame to get in and under, but I'd still want someone like that outside Swallow and Cunners.

If that's a comment on his potential weakness as a junior it doesn't especially bother me at this stage. I would like to think with our current squad we can afford to carry/develop that side of his game, particularly if his outside upside :drunk: offsets it. He's got the frame to get in and under, but I'd still want someone like that outside Swallow and Cunners.
True, but if you have a choice between 3 guys who are all quick and effective outside, wouldn't you then look to add the most rounder player? That's where I am coming from. Which of those 3 are projected to be the most well rounded player considering all have pace and skill and can take the game on.

True, but if you have a choice between 3 guys who are all quick and effective outside, wouldn't you then look to add the most rounder player? That's where I am coming from. Which of those 3 are projected to be the most well rounded player considering all have pace and skill and can take the game on.
Of course, with "projected to be" the operative idea.

Dillon Viojo-Rainbow looks to me to be an Aaron Mullet or a Matthew Suckling clone. I was impressed with his highlights video as well, didnt see him miss a target in that video from memory.

NC: 188cm, 84kg
JZ: 188cm, 87kg.

Imagine JZ with that pace and outside game. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back