2014 AFL Draft Prospects.

Remove this Banner Ad

Keitel spent hardly any time in defense this year. May have been starved of ball at times so he would lead further up the ground but was nearly always based forward.

He didn't start much in defense in any games i watched, but he's very mobile and found himself behind the ball in defense. That's a little more than leading up the ground further. Even when he's gone goalless he's managed to find the ball.

He didn't start much in defense in any games i watched, but he's very mobile and found himself behind the ball in defense. That's a little more than leading up the ground further. Even when he's gone goalless he's managed to find the ball.

He played ruck a bit for East Perth changing with Moody. He played CHB for WA against NT and was very good though.

It's more than likely that Waterman will cost the WC a first round pick. But by all reports, it will be well justified.

Probably depends on where we finish though? If we were 13th again (although I think this is unlikely) is it feasible that someone would bid a top 5 pick for him? If not then would only have to use a second pick

It's more than likely that Waterman will cost the WC a first round pick. But by all reports, it will be well justified.

If we finish where we did last year then I can see us only needing to use a 2nd. GWS will be the only team finishing below us IMO that wont be looking prediminitely for bigs though they may choose a gorilla defender if there is a highly rated one

Someone should do a rundown of each states top 20 'Most Likely' to get Drafted. Would be great to keep an eye on the talent around the country.

Probably depends on where we finish though? If we were 13th again (although I think this is unlikely) is it feasible that someone would bid a top 5 pick for him? If not then would only have to use a second pick

My prediction is based on the WC finishing around the 8.

Don't forget that clubs keep F/S' honest by bidding - WC bid for McDonald in 2013.

Don't forget that clubs keep F/S' honest by bidding - WC bid for McDonald in 2013.

Clubs don't keep them honest by bidding early to prevent them getting a bargain. They bid for them if they genuinely rate them that highly. McDonald and Daniher were both clear top five picks and 12 months out Waterman isn't rated anywhere near as high.

Clubs don't keep them honest by bidding early to prevent them getting a bargain. They bid for them if they genuinely rate them that highly. McDonald and Daniher were both clear top five picks and 12 months out Waterman isn't rated anywhere near as high.

Yes JD was rated top 3 - Viney was rated 5 to 10,but of course Melbourne finished near the bottom. Maybe one of the draft experts can give a rating for Waterman.

Yea but other clubs are still only going to bid a fair price for him, otherwise they could be left holding the baby. For example, if we were to finish 10th we would have draft pick 9. Say he is rated about 15th in the draft (as an example) it's unlikely one of the teams with a pick before us would bid because they might be forced to take him by Eagles foregoing the F/S. So we should be able to get him with pick 27 , getting a good deal like Demons with Jack Viney.
Conversely, we still finish 10th but he is a top 5 prospect, we are forced to use pick 9 to get him. Still a good deal. The only scenario where we have to pay fair price for him is if his value is within 1-2 draft picks of our first selection.

Obviously in your example if we finish 8th and he is worth about pick 11 then we pay market price for him.

With 18 clubs in the AFL, it is going to be very rare that an exceptionally talented kid is overlooked by the father's club. The fathers club will invariably pay overs to get said gun junior rather than said gun junior being plucked by another club.

The day this happens, EVERYONE will know about it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waterman currently looks like the 3rd best prospect from WA after Clem Smith and Jarrod Pickett. Estimated draft range atm I would have 12-25.

Waterman currently looks like the 3rd best prospect from WA after Clem Smith and Jarrod Pickett. Estimated draft range atm I would have 12-25.

If that's a statistical analysis you're selling the WA group short. Will be close to favorites next year.

Nope - I've got him in front of those two, love smith, but he's still a midget.

He's the standout presently. Few big boys may come on and over-take him.

In what range is Jake Long supposed to go? Is it most likely that: a) Essendon gets him via F/S with a third or later round pick, b) Essendon gets him with their end of first round pick, c) someone else gets him in the first round, d) someone else gets him in the second round after Essendon pass on him with their first pick, or e) no one picks him?

Isaac Heeney is a Swans academy player if I remember correctly.... inside mid I think. Can anyone give me a run down on how he plays? What his draft range might be?

He's a great kid from Newcastle. Wouldn't say inside mid as he's pretty small (strong for his size but he's small). I don't know enough about juniors to know he'll he translate in the draft.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Heeney but he did play a game for the Swans reserves at the end of last year. 'Small' is the last adjective I'd think to apply. He was listed at 184cm for the 2013 season but by the time I saw him I'd reckon he was taller than that. And a big strong lump of a lad too. Size wise he looks like he'll be far closer to a Josh Kennedy, say, than a Kieran Jack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back