List Mgmt. 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

With Finlayson still to come thats 3 indigenous lads joining the giants meaning 6 indigenous guys on the list in '15 and will be interesting to see if we look at getting an Aboriginal welfare officer in

I think Pickett's Dad does exactly that at High Schools. Pity we can't give him a contract, otherwise we'll end up with his salary on our cap a la Mr Scully.

I think Pickett's Dad does exactly that at High Schools. Pity we can't give him a contract, otherwise we'll end up with his salary on our cap a la Mr Scully.

Jarrod has mentioned that his parents would move over with him if he was drafted outside of w.a so you never know his dad might end up with a gig at the club.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-27/giant-leap-for-one-of-gws-six-draftees
Selection No.4 – Jarrod Pickett (South Fremantle)
Stephen Silvagni says: "Jarrod's really silky, has speed, can kick a goal, can play in defence and take a good grab – he's a really classy player."

Selection No.6 – Caleb Marchbank (Murray Bushrangers)
Stephen Silvagni says: "Caleb is a defender who can play forward and go through the midfield. He reads the ball really well, can play tall and small and has good speed. He's got a bit of versatility which we like."

Selection No.7 – Paul Ahern (Calder Cannons)
Stephen Silvagni says: "He's got some speed. He's a real quality player, good ball user, can kick goals and he's another one that can run-and-carry. The speed was a need for our list."

Selection No.23 – Patrick McKenna (Gisborne Football)
Stephen Silvagni says: "He played in the Bendigo League against men and played really well. He hasn't really done a pre-season with anyone because he plays cricket, (but) we know he runs very well and he's an elite ball user."

Selection No.24 – Jack Steele (Belconnen/GWS Academy)
Stephen Silvagni says: "Jack works really hard, has a good tank and has fitted in really well in his training so far. He can play half-forward and midfield, so it's great to have another one of those types."

Selection No.85 – Jeremy Finlayson (Hills Eagles/GWS Academy)
Stephen Silvagni says: "He's a bit of a developing tall who is known as a forward but will play back at times. Will probably take a little while but he's a nice kick. To get the two academy boys was fantastic."

Not taking Goddard must give the likes of Corr a big boost. We must be pretty confident he is able to step up at any time. He is behind Davis, Mohr et al, but with Frost gone he is probably our next +195cm KPD.
I would say the same for Rory Lobb with the non-selection of Peter Wright.

Not taking Goddard must give the likes of Corr a big boost. We must be pretty confident he is able to step up at any time. He is behind Davis, Mohr et al, but with Frost gone he is probably our next +195cm KPD.

I would say the same for Rory Lobb with the non-selection of Peter Wright.

On reflection i like both moves. It backs the players we have here and we have still filled needs within the club. Its announcing we have the talent and we are backing them to the afl community

His got a good scarf

Interesting rumour from Skippos, which would explain why he had a GWS scarf handy:

I heard word that the only reason McKenna nominated is that he was assured of a spot by one club if he did. Clearly it was GWS. They're in a list position where they can target upside at all costs and take these risks. I think if they'd decided 23 was their last pick they were just gonna use it on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club also appears to be picking in line with conventional wisdom now we are well into list development. On balance that wisdom seems to be to pick faster midfielders and running backs. Other than KPF, most other types can be obtained through trading. We will have to trade out some of the incredible midfield depth, as has been said before. Good draft picks or KPP...depending on need.

Reasonably happy with the picks the club has made although I think they were made more with how the list is at the moment. More games will be put into those already on the list, and a sign of faith in those as well.
Can see Pickett seeing action early in the season if he does well in preseason and neafl games but the others later on in the season depending on injuries
Is Steele an inside/outside mid or would he start of at HB or HF? Who would he replace in the 22?

Reasonably happy with the picks the club has made although I think they were made more with how the list is at the moment. More games will be put into those already on the list, and a sign of faith in those as well.
Can see Pickett seeing action early in the season if he does well in preseason and neafl games but the others later on in the season depending on injuries
Is Steele an inside/outside mid or would he start of at HB or HF? Who would he replace in the 22?
He is more a HF - mid, so may replace someone like Palmer or Smith. The club may decide to run him in a different role though. He could play a big inside mid type or HB too.

Short turn around this year with the Pre-Season Draft & Rookie draft to take place this Wednesday 3rd Dec and apparently there is a very good chance we could rookie a few local kids.
Aren't we committed to Mattingly? I read somewhere that we prelisted Austin Howard and Mattingly - maybe one other, for the rookie list if they didn't get picked up in they draft. Well Austin and Howard did.

The one I'd like to see get a gig somewhere is Tom Faul.

Aren't we committed to Mattingly? I read somewhere that we prelisted Austin Howard and Mattingly - maybe one other, for the rookie list if they didn't get picked up in they draft. Well Austin and Howard did.

The one I'd like to see get a gig somewhere is Tom Faul.

Think this what you mean

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
The Giants are every chance to have shut their books and finished up by pick 30, but they may use pick No.72, a decision that will be made on the night. If they go down that path, the club might choose to add another local product out of its academy, with defender Michael Mattingly and tall forwards Logan Austin and Dougal Howard the leading contenders. Those three are among the group of academy prospects the club has nominated under the rookie pre-selection rule. The Giants have also shown an interest in talented batsman Pat McKenna, who captained the Australian under-19 cricket team this year but has nominated for the draft. It's unlikely to activate pick No.80.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-25/the-phantom-draft

So it seems that just like the Pickett's the Ahern will soon be calling Sydney home
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/video/2014-12-01/a-family-affair-the-aherns

Mate, I couldn't get out of home quick enough! but I think some of these shy kids take a bit more time and it would be fantastic if his parents move up and support him.

Listening to our previous draftees the first 12 months is extremely tough and when the boys are most vulnerable to homesickness. By the second year they've made new friends and feel a part of things, if they get to year 3 we can generally keep the ones we want. This kid Ahern has a unique skill set... he is going to surprise some people with how good he is and I don't think he is going to take much time either. I expect him to be best 22 by season's end.

Mate, I couldn't get out of home quick enough! but I think some of these shy kids take a bit more time and it would be fantastic if his parents move up and support him.

Listening to our previous draftees the first 12 months is extremely tough and when the boys are most vulnerable to homesickness. By the second year they've made new friends and feel a part of things, if they get to year 3 we can generally keep the ones we want. This kid Ahern has a unique skill set... he is going to surprise some people with how good he is and I don't think he is going to take much time either. I expect him to be best 22 by season's end.

Also his brother looks about 12 so maybe a future academy selection there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back