Autopsy 2014 AFL Grand Final - Sydney v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure its a tactic i dont think he can go defensively its just a shame he should probably retire, but at the same time he did appear to be one of the few to give a crap and deserves a better last game

The thing that astounds me was that we did it to Goodes in Round 18 as well. Funnelled all our rebound play through whoever was on Goodes - he kicked 4 that day due to a couple of bad turnovers that came back to him 50m clear as he hadn't run with his man. I think he's been a super player, but the legs are starting to go (hence the sliding - direct result of arriving just that bit too late at contests).

The thing that astounds me was that we did it to Goodes in Round 18 as well. Funnelled all our rebound play through whoever was on Goodes - he kicked 4 that day due to a couple of bad turnovers that came back to him 50m clear as he hadn't run with his man. I think he's been a super player, but the legs are starting to go (hence the sliding - direct result of arriving just that bit too late at contests).

Round 18 they did that and mitchell lewis and hodge ran amok and you shut down our ball winners

Longmire must of forgotten to review the game

I think goodes is done just a shame as a swans fan if thats how we send him off because i thought he at least tried unlike about 17 team mates

Sam Reid did not kick a single goal against a top 6 side all season. The most hitouts he managed was eight.

I cannot think of a player that has gone into a grand final less equipped to cope with the big occasion. When people talk about the importance of a side's bottom six well this guy was a disaster eating to happen.

Sure enough he was terrible again.

Sam Reid did not kick a single goal against a top 6 side all season. The most hitouts he managed was eight.

I cannot think of a player that has gone into a grand final less equipped to cope with the big occasion. When people talk about the importance of a side's bottom six well this guy was a disaster eating to happen.

Sure enough he was terrible again.

i wanted him dropped weeks ago but got howled down by my fellow fans

he has done nothing, gets a game for being tall, why do we need a 4th forward decoy who runs around not touching it, occasionally goes back and does nothing

he should be a key defender or piss off to the neafl imo

rather play tom mitchell as another small

Yep, near perfect. One small fault I noticed, and have noticed in many games this year. We were outmarked/intercepted repeatedly when we bombed the ball into the forward line. Over and over in fact. Have seen it alot this year, and last. Anyone else slightly bothered by this? (as much as it is possible to be 'bothered' when your team has just won back to back, and destroyed the 'best team' of 2014).

Hopefully the coaching staff if looking closely at that.

Can't believe I'm such a killjoy.....

That was Sydney with a player or two behind the ball. It helped them there, but we just picked it back up further downfield. Nothing to be too concerned about tbh, as next time we came back we hit up a target around 40m

That was Sydney with a player or two behind the ball. It helped them there, but we just picked it back up further downfield. Nothing to be too concerned about tbh, as next time we came back we hit up a target around 40m
Yeah fair enough, it was just a bit frustrating to watch at the time...

yeah but if it started to change the game your coach would do something about it unlike some others teams coaches who do f all it seems

It's exactly what they do against the cats and a major reason why they lost game after game. As soon as they lower their eyes and start looking for better options they get on top as was shown this year.

Last edited:
Yeah? You'd better watch the replay again (not an unsavoury request!). I just watched it again last night, they intercept marked our kicks at least a dozen times, it was worse than ever.

Was a tactic to get Grundy to centre the ball for us :)

What do you think Horse could have done?

maybe nothing with the way the boys played, i mean its one thing to get smashed, but i saw very little running to a contest by the swans, so what can a coach do.

Just felt like to me clarkson threw up so many different combinations at the centre bounces for instance and it freed up ball carriers who are highly skilled

all longmire did was move buddy to a wing and push reid back

poor coaching

felt sorry for goodes...triied hard all day, but i dont think his body is up to it anymore, seems to not be able to chase or defend too well, i cant beleive that he wouldnt be doing his best, bleeds for the club.....hope he makes the right decision regarding his future.....legend of the game, should go out while still playing decent footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 18 they did that and mitchell lewis and hodge ran amok and you shut down our ball winners

Longmire must of forgotten to review the game

I think goodes is done just a shame as a swans fan if thats how we send him off because i thought he at least tried unlike about 17 team mates

I don't like Goodes but he can definitely hold his head high.

I was responding to an ungracious winner who had the audacity to still moan about COLA when Hawks just won the granny.
It actually doesnt, Hawks practically train for it, as it happens innumerable times, almost every game.
dont get me wrong, you deserved your victory, but if youre still gonna bring up COLA as youve done all year in the spirit of a sullen teenager, take the brown tinted goggles off.
What,so you're telling Hawthorn train to ensure that their passes travel the minimum length allowed by umpires???

Why...why...that's just...unsporting!!!

I would probably congratulate the HFC if their supporters werent insufferable flogs
if youre so averse to cheating, arnt you gonna comment on the innumerable times a 10m chip got paid a mark? Hawks have been doing it all season and they still get away with it.

Games done better team won dont be a dick

Anger should be directed at the club and players who let their fans down

i wanted him dropped weeks ago but got howled down by my fellow fans

he has done nothing, gets a game for being tall, why do we need a 4th forward decoy who runs around not touching it, occasionally goes back and does nothing

he should be a key defender or piss off to the neafl imo

rather play tom mitchell as another small
I was staggered Sydney went in without Mitchell and kept the likes of Rohan and Reid in.
Pace and height from those 2 I suppose but at least you know Mitchell is going to crack in and knows how to get hold of the footy.

Hawthorn have now played in four Preliminary Finals on the 20th of September and have gone on to win the Premiership on each occasion ('86, '08, '13, '14).
Thanks, Bruce ;)

Be nice if your club actually gave back something to the community that you take so much from.

The fact that Tasmania's economy is struggling is no secret to anyone, and I really don't think the millions of dollars in taxpayers' money the Hawks are being paid every year helps that at all.

And people who try to claim that the Hawks coming over here is a good thing because it generates jobs in the hospitality industry are absolute buffoons.

What, people like the Tasmanian government, treasury and other auditors, who say the economic benefit is worth roughly 5-8 times the outlay?

One absolute buffoon here, mate, and it's you.

If the numbers didn't stack up, the government wouldn't do it. You do realise sponsorship is not a donation, don't you? It's an exchange of money for publicity that is considered economically valuable. Go learn some economics...

Last edited:
I was staggered Sydney went in without Mitchell and kept the likes of Rohan and Reid in.
Pace and height from those 2 I suppose but at least you know Mitchell is going to crack in and knows how to get hold of the footy.

It had me baffled he got worse as the year went on

If he is going to make it there more chance as a key defender imo

Thats IF

Be nice if your club actually gave back something to the community that you take so much from.

The fact that Tasmania's economy is struggling is no secret to anyone, and I really don't think the millions of dollars in taxpayers' money the Hawks are being paid every year helps that at all.

And people who try to claim that the Hawks coming over here is a good thing because it generates jobs in the hospitality industry are absolute buffoons.
Seems your premier is a buffoon

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/2589087/tassie-in-the-spotlight/

Another interesting read if you can be bothered

http://www.lgat.tas.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/9 December 2013 - Tourism and Events.pdf

What, people like the Tasmanian government, treasury and other auditors, who say the economic benefit is worth roughly 5-8 times the outlay?

One absolute buffoon, here, mate, and it's you.

If the numbers didn't stack up, the government wouldn't do it. You do realise sponsorship is not a donation, don't you? It's an exchange of money for publicity that is considered economically valuable. Go learn some economics...
The envious are desperately clutching at straws to find any possible chink in our impenetrable armour, to the point of making s**t up. Our deal with tassie is bad for the state, other teams' boards are full of 'Hawthorn fans are the worst and most obnoxious' posts, we were gifted good zones decades ago, blah blah blah. Could they possibly get any more jealous or any more desperate? Their tears of envy are delicious!!!

The envious are desperately clutching at straws to find any possible chink in our impenetrable armour, to the point of making s**t up. Our deal with tassie is bad for the state, other teams' boards are full of 'Hawthorn fans are the worst and most obnoxious' posts, we were gifted good zones decades ago, blah blah blah. Could they possibly get any more jealous or any more desperate? Their tears of envy are delicious!!!

“It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.” — Mahatma Gandhi

I can't speak for all Hawk fans, but, for me anyway, this Hawthorn "arrogance" is what happens when you spend your life hearing from everyone how much they hate Hawthorn, how team X will smash hawthorn, how Hawthorn is every negative thing under the sun (from supporters of other teams who probably have cause to hate or envy our success), and you dare to remind these people of their error when you win.

I have absolutely no interest in gloating over anyone who has not disrespected my team. I'd rather spend it celebrating it with fellow fans.

But if you've been a 'hater'...yes, you're going to cop some 'typical Hawthorn fan' arrogance in as big a way as possible.

The unfortunate thing thing about Big Footy, of course, is that you generalise. If anyone on Big Footy has ever hated, you get 'arrogant' on Big Footy, as if Big Footy is one person (the same way "Hawk fans" or "Collingwood fans" are all just one assimilation.)

Sigh...such a vicious circle....will there ever be a rainbow....

Anyways...

STUFF THAT1111 go eat a dick big footy

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back