Autopsy 2014 AFL Grand Final - Sydney v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Ted Richards does an awful lot of finger pointing and chucks a fair few tanties at team mates when he is getting beaten
Apologies for the late reply.
The dude is extremely passionate.The man had tears in his eyes when the first three games of the season were brought up.
He's also the general of the backline so I dont really see the problem.
I would be pointing the finger in the GF too after the way your midfielders nonchalantly sent the ball into your attacking 50.

There's also a fair bit of talk (especially on the Swans board naturally) of the behaviour of Hawks fans at the game and in general. Well I can only speak from my personal experience and all I can say is I didn't see one incident of anti-social behaviour whatsoever. I was sitting on the ground level basically behind the Hawks cheer squad at the city end. I didn't hear one racist, sexist or homophobic comment whatsoever.

Things were pretty good on level 4 behind the Swans cheersquad too. 1 drunk female Hawks supporter got shouted down by the rest of us when she started going off after the siren.

Last edited:

This is my first post for a while but I'd like to obviously say well done to my beloved Hawks but also thank you to the warm posts from supporters of other teams. Clearly there is a real respect from most learned supporters across the board to the Hawks regardless of who they support. And that is very gratifying to know that while you might not like us, you respect us and praise us for our efforts.

There's also a fair bit of talk (especially on the Swans board naturally) of the behaviour of Hawks fans at the game and in general. Well I can only speak from my personal experience and all I can say is I didn't see one incident of anti-social behaviour whatsoever. I was sitting on the ground level basically behind the Hawks cheer squad at the city end. I didn't hear one racist, sexist or homophobic comment whatsoever. Not saying other pockets of the ground didn't have some bad eggs, but my section was just fantastic. Also after the game while in the throng leaving the ground there were random high-fives going on and I saw a number of Swans fans offering up high fives as a form of congratulations as they walked past Hawks fans. I thought this was terrific. Then I walked side by side back to the city with Swans fans and not one word of aggro or carry on at all from either side. Then to top it off we stopped for a beer at Riverland on the Yarra - the place was packed and there were three Swans supporters who called us over to share their table. We brought them a beer and we had a chat about the game. Great people and great fans who love their club and were clearly hurting but were humble enough to offer up their table and have a chat about the game with some opposition fans. This is what is awesome about our game and about Australia. We can go to war for 3 hours and then have a beer afterwards and a chat then go our separate ways. Just fantastic stuff and I thank the Swans fans for realising that they were beaten by the better side on the day. Plenty of people have been quick to focus on the negatives of crowd behaviour - I'm happy to focus on the positives. Well done all.
Love it. Seriously not a bad day out taking away the result (from my point of view anyway). I had one ning nong seated directly behind me yelling out "grab ya banana and climb back up ya tree" etc etc type racist crap for about a half of footy (he disappeared later on though luckily). Apart from that, had a good chat with a few Hawks fans during & after the game. Generally we're all pretty passionate posters on here but I think the whole 'hatred' between the clubs fans is over played online due to a select few keyboard warriors who throw stupid insults and comments they'd never actually have the guts to make in the real world toe-to-toe or face-to-face. I barely hear about the COLA/Bondi Billionaires/$ydney $wan$ or any other crap often argued and proudly posted on BF... When it does come up it's usually in a well reasoned and/or more respectful manner.

I think the Hawks well and truly deserved the premiership after a well played year. Clarkson is a freakin genius and the players have obviously been so well prepared to play the game style the coaches require. It stands up on the big stage but is also flexible enough absorb any counter strategy from the opposition. While gutted with the lack of effort, intensity, determination and fight my boys showed, I'm happy to say it was as much about how well the Hawks played as how badly the Swans played. A really superb performance stemming from fantastic coaching and strategy.

For those posters who have shown they are either sore losers or sore winners; None of us want thsi to turn into another Cats/Hawks-type long term s**t-fight ruining every single BF conversation where both sets of fans dare converse. Try not to be baited into anything you wouldn't want said to you I don't reckon. Be better than that and follow the lead of both our proud clubs and remain respectful. Show some empathy and karma will do it's thing I reckon.

This and the main game day thread are priceless. I think I'm going to spew from laughing so hard.

I am planning to watch the game again with the main gameday thread scrolling at the same pace and laughing even more. Some of the delusional crap in there is priceless.
try the swans board and ull probably s**t urself from so much excitement haha... im still reading through everything and enjoying this massive victory no end

There's also a fair bit of talk (especially on the Swans board naturally) of the behaviour of Hawks fans at the game and in general. Well I can only speak from my personal experience and all I can say is I didn't see one incident of anti-social behaviour whatsoever. I was sitting on the ground level basically behind the Hawks cheer squad at the city end. I didn't hear one racist, sexist or homophobic comment whatsoever. Not saying other pockets of the ground didn't have some bad eggs, but my section was just fantastic. Also after the game while in the throng leaving the ground there were random high-fives going on and I saw a number of Swans fans offering up high fives as a form of congratulations as they walked past Hawks fans. I thought this was terrific. Then I walked side by side back to the city with Swans fans and not one word of aggro or carry on at all from either side. Then to top it off we stopped for a beer at Riverland on the Yarra - the place was packed and there were three Swans supporters who called us over to share their table. We brought them a beer and we had a chat about the game. Great people and great fans who love their club and were clearly hurting but were humble enough to offer up their table and have a chat about the game with some opposition fans. This is what is awesome about our game and about Australia. We can go to war for 3 hours and then have a beer afterwards and a chat then go our separate ways. Just fantastic stuff and I thank the Swans fans for realising that they were beaten by the better side on the day. Plenty of people have been quick to focus on the negatives of crowd behaviour - I'm happy to focus on the positives. Well done all.

Yeah, most would agree, no issue with Hawks supporters at the ground, no doubt because of 2012. It certainly wasn't 2006 with all the Eagles fans being a bunch of ungrateful campaigners and bad sports. I didn't really come across any bad supporters and no one said anything. It was probably more pity than anything else. There were a few * heads in the crowd spilling their cereal down their shirt while trying to get as much random gibberish out of their system in one long, incoherent sentence.

meme-faces-cereal-guy_wallpaper.jpg

I think the issue is that a majority of Hawks posters on these forums are twatting cunny head keyboard heros'. There's been a lot of baiting and trolling on the main board as well as the Sydney board, and a few posters have been banned and punted from that forum.

I spoke to a good friend of mine right after the siren, who's a Hawks supporters, and she said she wasn't going to give me any s**t because of 2012 and she knows how it feels. She even felt sorry for me because Sydney were so utterly s**t throughout the day.

try the swans board and ull probably s**t urself from so much excitement haha... im still reading through everything and enjoying this massive victory no end
You're more than welcome to, remember, post like an arsehole, get booted within minutes :)

Apologies for the late reply.
The dude is extremely passionate.The man had tears in his eyes when the first three games of the season were brought up.
He's also the general of the backline so I dont really see the problem.
I would be pointing the finger in the GF too after the way your midfielders nonchalantly sent the ball into your attacking 50.
Finger pointing? I'd be going up to Jetta and clocking him over the head, make sure his concussion was real and help him spend the remainder of the game on the bench. Games won & lost in the midfield - true, but we were so piss-poor across the field, he had 16 other players he could have abused, including almost every defender bar Grundy (who in my opinion was our best player).

Maybe lay off the swans fans... I remember getting on BF a week or so after the '12 loss most decent swans fans didn't seem this bad. Be proud and no more, I feel like people want to respect the Hawks as a club but some fans make it hard.

This is my first post for a while but I'd like to obviously say well done to my beloved Hawks but also thank you to the warm posts from supporters of other teams. Clearly there is a real respect from most learned supporters across the board to the Hawks regardless of who they support. And that is very gratifying to know that while you might not like us, you respect us and praise us for our efforts.

Good post, personally I didn't hear or see any bad behaviour, congrats Hawks, deserved premiers.

Maybe lay off the swans fans... I remember getting on BF a week or so after the '12 loss most decent swans fans didn't seem this bad. Be proud and no more, I feel like people want to respect the Hawks as a club but some fans make it hard.

Problem with that is that there are two sides of the fence
Hawk supporters copped it in 08 because hawks didn't win, Geelong lost it because they didn't kick straight and we didn't play in the spirit of the game by rushing behinds
In 2012 we copped abuse from swans supporters in threads because every time a comment was made that didn't have the Sydney POV it was because we were **** h**t
In 2013 we once again only won because freo didn't kick straight
And in 2014 we got lucky again because port didn't kick straight in the prelim

It makes it hard not to react and troll with all that crap we've had to put up with

Hawk supporters copped it in 08 because hawks didn't win, Geelong lost it because they didn't kick straight and we didn't play in the spirit of the game by rushing behinds
In 2012 we copped abuse from swans supporters in threads because every time a comment was made that didn't have the Sydney POV it was because we were **** h**t

It makes it hard not to react and troll with all that crap we've had to put up with
I'm sure you can find a way to console yourself with all that silverware.

I think we all accepted the loss in 12 was our fault, and copped in on the chin. It was when our best player was poached (and we weren't given any real compensation for it) that our attitudes hardened. The COLA trolling isn't a slight on Sydney fans, but at the club for having the gall to use it so shamelessly (in complete contradiction to its mantra). Naturally it gets Sydney posters' backs up, and descends into a shitfight there and then.

At the ground, we were all very civil (apart from a few feral Hawks fans I passed in standing room - they were probably the ones cited in the article, with the 'takes it up the ....' chants).

It's a lot harder to hate an opposition supporter IRL. :)

Yeah, most would agree, no issue with Hawks supporters at the ground, no doubt because of 2012. It certainly wasn't 2006 with all the Eagles fans being a bunch of ungrateful campaigners and bad sports. I didn't really come across any bad supporters and no one said anything. It was probably more pity than anything else. There were a few **** heads in the crowd spilling their cereal down their shirt while trying to get as much random gibberish out of their system in one long, incoherent sentence.

meme-faces-cereal-guy_wallpaper.jpg

I think the issue is that a majority of Hawks posters on these forums are twatting cunny head keyboard heros'. There's been a lot of baiting and trolling on the main board as well as the Sydney board, and a few posters have been banned and punted from that forum.

I spoke to a good friend of mine right after the siren, who's a Hawks supporters, and she said she wasn't going to give me any s**t because of 2012 and she knows how it feels. She even felt sorry for me because Sydney were so utterly s**t throughout the day.

You're more than welcome to, remember, post like an arsehole, get booted within minutes :)

Finger pointing? I'd be going up to Jetta and clocking him over the head, make sure his concussion was real and help him spend the remainder of the game on the bench. Games won & lost in the midfield - true, but we were so piss-poor across the field, he had 16 other players he could have abused, including almost every defender bar Grundy (who in my opinion was our best player).
I have no need or want to post. I just like to hear peoples opinions. I did think i would be coping a ban if we won, but there was no need for any words after what our team put you through. People are calling for blood, a season of relentless killing, a gf smashing that will shock the AFL well guess, it just happened, no need to wait for next year the mighty Hawks just ripped the swans from arsehole to earhole. Game over

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we all accepted the loss in 12 was our fault, and copped in on the chin. It was when our best player was poached (and we weren't given any real compensation for it) that our attitudes hardened. The COLA trolling isn't a slight on Sydney fans, but at the club for having the gall to use it so shamelessly (in complete contradiction to its mantra). Naturally it gets Sydney posters' backs up, and descends into a shitfight there and then.

At the ground, we were all very civil (apart from a few feral Hawks fans I passed in standing room - they were probably the ones cited in the article, with the 'takes it up the ....' chants).

It's a lot harder to hate an opposition supporter IRL. :)
Yep, when you post bollocks like that with no evidence yet produced by any flog as to how exactly the club uses COLA "in complete contradiction of its mantra" you bet your arse it will turn into a shitfight.

Just ignore those people and enjoy the back 2 back , some people will poo poo any victory,

You would have read a fair bit of mine then, all in praise of your club and how s**t we were, Enjoy it, great performance

Honestly I hate all this " pissing contests" that seem to drag on way too far!! To be a Great team, you have to beat a great team!! Considering we are so happy with when our teams beat each other, then I'd say we give the s**t throwing a rest. It's obvious the clubs and coaches have a lot more respect to one and another then we seem to do. Sydney will be back cuz they hardly ever go away to begin with!

Honestly I hate all this " pissing contests" that seem to drag on way too far!! To be a Great team, you have to beat a great team!! Considering we are so happy with when our teams beat each other, then I'd say we give the s**t throwing a rest. It's obvious the clubs and coaches have a lot more respect to one and another then we seem to do. Sydney will be back cuz they hardly ever go away to begin with!
Well said, TyHawk.

Love it. Seriously not a bad day out taking away the result (from my point of view anyway). I had one ning nong seated directly behind me yelling out "grab ya banana and climb back up ya tree" etc etc type racist crap for about a half of footy (he disappeared later on though luckily). Apart from that, had a good chat with a few Hawks fans during & after the game. Generally we're all pretty passionate posters on here but I think the whole 'hatred' between the clubs fans is over played online due to a select few keyboard warriors who throw stupid insults and comments they'd never actually have the guts to make in the real world toe-to-toe or face-to-face. I barely hear about the COLA/Bondi Billionaires/$ydney $wan$ or any other crap often argued and proudly posted on BF... When it does come up it's usually in a well reasoned and/or more respectful manner.

I think the Hawks well and truly deserved the premiership after a well played year. Clarkson is a freakin genius and the players have obviously been so well prepared to play the game style the coaches require. It stands up on the big stage but is also flexible enough absorb any counter strategy from the opposition. While gutted with the lack of effort, intensity, determination and fight my boys showed, I'm happy to say it was as much about how well the Hawks played as how badly the Swans played. A really superb performance stemming from fantastic coaching and strategy.

For those posters who have shown they are either sore losers or sore winners; None of us want thsi to turn into another Cats/Hawks-type long term s**t-fight ruining every single BF conversation where both sets of fans dare converse. Try not to be baited into anything you wouldn't want said to you I don't reckon. Be better than that and follow the lead of both our proud clubs and remain respectful. Show some empathy and karma will do it's thing I reckon.

Great post.

I think that it is generally a vocal minority that carry on like idiots. Most supporters on here a very passionate about their respective teams, and unfortunately tend to get dragged into these pissing contests.

I think it is safe to say both sets off supporters follow two great sides. As John Kennedy Jnr said on the AFL.com.au video, Sydney is a great club that reminds him a great deal of Hawthorn.

Both teams are now 1 each in GF's and no doubt will be contending next year.

Great post.

I think that it is generally a vocal minority that carry on like idiots. Most supporters on here a very passionate about their respective teams, and unfortunately tend to get dragged into these pissing contests.

I think it is safe to say both sets off supporters follow two great sides. As John Kennedy Jnr said on the AFL.com.au video, Sydney is a great club that reminds him a great deal of Hawthorn.

Both teams are now 1 each in GF's and no doubt will be contending next year.

Good post

Or at the very people forget the fans dont have any part in the club, so if you hate an opposition club just because someone else loves them does not mean we have to be dickheads to each other

Have watched many times and can't believe how bad Sydney's tackling was. McVeigh stood out as someone who got near enough to tackle a lot but just never slowed down the guy with the ball.

Neither can i, considering whatever people want to say about us our tackling is usually reasonably good.

That and the run stood out, just a real lack of effort, losing by a heap is bad, but the margin didnt bother me as much as the effort which surely you can give even if the opposition is better which i felt they at least did in round 18. Got outclassed and outplayed but least they tried

Remove this Banner Ad

Back