Preview 2014 AFL Grand Final - Sydney vs Hawthorn, MCG, 2.30pm, Saturday Sept 27th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
First quarter will be critical. If Sydney start well and we're off our game, then we are almost certain to lose. Playing catch up footy will kill our chances. We really need to start well and put some score board pressure early to give ourselves a chance of winning this match. We have the edge in the ruck and on the outside with Hill and Smith.

Sydney's inside midfielders are a huge threat and may be the difference come saturday. I think Kennedy is the one we really need to shut down, but then again Jack, Hannebery and Parker are just as damaging and prolific threw the midfield which makes it even harder to nullify altogther. The only way we can get on top of the Sydney midfield is by denying them the footy.

Not overly confident about our chances. We are limping into the Grand Final and our form has been patchy whereas Sydney have beaten Fremantle and North Melbourne quite comfortably. It will be the best offense against the best defense. Generally the the strong defensive team usually ends up winning.

On that note I think Sydney will win.

If it's Simpkin will that mean Rioli will be sub?

Suckling looks the far better choice.

Suckling is a terrible sub. Will struggle to have any impact and will get found out again.

If Rioli plays he will almost certainly be the sub. If he doesn't play then Simpkin most likely will get it.

Suckling is a terrible sub. Will struggle to have any impact and will get found out again.

If Rioli plays he will almost certainly be the sub. If he doesn't play then Simpkin most likely will get it.

I meant that Rioli coming in for Suckling would be a far better choice. You will then have a choice between Simpkin and Rioli for sub.
If he comes in for Simpkin he almost has to be sub, who else could Clarko pick for that role?

I meant that Rioli coming in for Suckling would be a far better choice. You will then have a choice between Simpkin and Rioli for sub.
If he comes in for Simpkin he almost has to be sub, who else could Clarko pick for that role?

You're not gonna sacrifice picking your best starting side so you have more choices for sub...

I really see this as a line ball Gand Final. Every year Buddy has played in a Grand Final or some other key forward we hear
the same thing...who's going to stop Cloke, Roo, Roughy, Buddy, ect....
Its more likely going to be Mcglynn, Parker, Smith or Hill kicking 3 that will make a big difference.

Statement from GIANTS Chairman Tony Shepherd: "On behalf of the Greater Western Sydney GIANTS, I want to wish the Sydney Swans all the very best for this Saturday's AFL Grand Final against Hawthorn.

"While we may be fierce rivals on the field, there is no doubt a Swans win would be great for AFL in New South Wales and we will be supporting the whole club led by Chairman Andrew Pridham as they prepare for the biggest day of the year.

"The Swans have enjoyed a fantastic season and deserve to be favourites and we look forward to them bringing the premiership cup back to Sydney."
What the *? What an incompetent club. You're meant to be rivals not best of friends you idiots.

Congrats to Simon Meredith, Matt Stevic and Matthew Nicholls, who will be the field umpires for Saturday's 2014 Toyota AFL Grand final.

The mountain just got a whole lot higher for Sydney...

Cannot believe Stevic got a gig after the Port game..... :eek:

He payed frees to the Hawks all night and was responsible for the soft Gunston hold from 50m away early to give the Hawks a sniff and a free goal not to mention over 7 frees for them in the 2nd Qtr alone.

What a joke and Sydney will be up against another man now.

He payed frees to the Hawks all night and was responsible for the soft Gunston hold from 50m away early to give the Hawks a sniff and a free goal not to mention over 7 frees for them in the 2nd Qtr alone.

lulz

Meanwhile Port actually had a higher free-for count.

All I can tell from the past week is that the Hawks MAY mess with their team to the point that they compromise what has actually got them this far.
It started with the Box Hill Hawks a few weeks ago where they twisted the rules to allow McEvoy to play & in the GF Rioli was on & off the ground to Clarko's wishes & sat out the whole last quarter when the team needed him.

This made a mockery of the VFLs show piece game.

I think Clarko is smart enough to know that Rioli isn't best 22 at this point in time & unlike supporters, he won't think of what Rioli can do when he is at peak fitness. In a high intensity GF, you play a match fit Simpkin every day of the week ahead of a player that hasn't played for 9 weeks at the highest level.
Even as a sub would be risky should there be a Lewis like injury to a player early in the game, where he needs to be subbed. Rioli just won't be up to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this game is going to come to one thing. the midfield. which ever midfield dominates will win. both have gun forwards and a decent backline but the efficiency of the midfield will be the decider.

very hard to choose who will win. awesome game for the neutral. and i cant choose any sides for a variety of reasons.

so heres to a decent contest.

Not sure if serious.

Roughead being held no free kick
Spangher being held no free kick
Free Kick against Gibson to Monfries
Polec throw in the midfield

Congrats to Simon Meredith, Matt Stevic and Matthew Nicholls, who will be the field umpires for Saturday's 2014 Toyota AFL Grand final.

Cosy dinner at Gil's - "hey Matt Stevic loves the Hawks so let's make sure he gets a gig in the GF, if he can get them across the line in the PF". There's polite laughter amongst the Melbourne presidents and coaches (well, Eddie sfellows) and it's made to happen.

Haha, getting the excuses in early I see

First quarter will be critical. If Sydney start well and we're off our game, then we are almost certain to lose. Playing catch up footy will kill our chances. We really need to start well and put some score board pressure early to give ourselves a chance of winning this match. We have the edge in the ruck and on the outside with Hill and Smith.

Sydney's inside midfielders are a huge threat and may be the difference come saturday. I think Kennedy is the one we really need to shut down, but then again Jack, Hannebery and Parker are just as damaging and prolific threw the midfield which makes it even harder to nullify altogther. The only way we can get on top of the Sydney midfield is by denying them the footy.

Not overly confident about our chances. We are limping into the Grand Final and our form has been patchy whereas Sydney have beaten Fremantle and North Melbourne quite comfortably. It will be the best offense against the best defense. Generally the the strong defensive team usually ends up winning.

On that note I think Sydney will win.

Buddy v Roughy will be the telling stat methinks

Whichever of the 2 gets the most opportunity and takes them goes a long way to setting their side up for victory

Whichever of the 2 gets the most opportunity and takes them goes a long way to setting their side up for victory

Fair call. Roughie beating Richards is one of the few matchups were Hawthorn have a substantial edge. Could come down to Buddy's kicking

Laughable is the only proper conclusion one can come to given Stevic's performance on the weekend. It's a shame my love for the AFL will overcome my disdain for the administration of the AFL and the AFLUA.

Buddy is surrounded by a better midfield, but Roughead gets better delivery. I just can't see Roughead having a big influence like Franklin. For Hawthorn we need Gunston, Breust and Hale to step up if we are going to win. I think the Swans will drop an extra down back and close down the Hawks space inside 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back