2014 AFL Pre Season betting

Remove this Banner Ad

Just take it easy, there is no rush. Plenty of good punters in here offering good advice.

Be cautious and only bet what you can afford to lose. It is a learning process and make sure you keep good records of your bets so you can make a descent analysis during and at the end of the season. Importantly learn from your mistakes and remember every bet no matter how good it is has the potential to lose.

Good advice, I'm learning to carefully research and analyze before betting.
Overall last year i lost about $900-1k over time and won back only about $400 so i'm down about $600
I used to have a bit of a problem with the horses where i would have some $$ in my sportsbet account
Chuck some on Horse when the race is about to start (less than 10mins) i would quickly look on skyracing but more often than not lost.

Good advice, I'm learning to carefully research and analyze before betting.
Overall last year i lost about $900-1k over time and won back only about $400 so i'm down about $600
I used to have a bit of a problem with the horses where i would have some $$ in my sportsbet account
Chuck some on Horse when the race is about to start (less than 10mins) i would quickly look on skyracing but more often than not lost.

I dont bet on horses, but the same principle applies to all betting. You should always do your research and homework before parting with money.

Good to see that you are on the way up again in the AFL, as I said be careful and patient. Just like how the AFL season is a marathon and not a sprint so is the grind in making money long term in punting.

Last edited:

I dont bet on horses, but the same principle applies to all betting. You should always do your research and homework before parting with money.

Good so see that you are on the way up again in the AFL, as I said be careful and patient. Just like how the AFL season is a marathon and not a sprint so is the grind in making money long term in punting.

Yoda-Meditation.png

2012 I didn't really bet on Nab cup and I had a what you call successful Afl betting season.
2013 I went hard on Nab cup and make a reasonable amount. I won big on a few games especially with Lions. Because of that I bought the Nab cup hype with lions and lost big on the 1st game against Bulldogs. I never recovered from that loss.
This year I'm staying away from Nab cup so I can read team more accurate once the real season started

2012 I didn't really bet on Nab cup and I had a what you call successful Afl betting season.
2013 I went hard on Nab cup and make a reasonable amount. I won big on a few games especially with Lions. Because of that I bought the Nab cup hype with lions and lost big on the 1st game against Bulldogs. I never recovered from that loss.
This year I'm staying away from Nab cup so I can read team more accurate once the real season started

No one expected that Big Bulldogs win, stuffed alot of punters up.

NAB Challenge - Carlton Blues vs Adelaide Crows:
1.5U - Adelaide +10.5 @ $1.92 (Sportsbet)
0.5U - Adelaide SU @ $2.50 (Betfair -5% Commission)

In a rush so won't be able to write out my reasons. So much so, that I forgot about the commission and should have taken the $2.50 at Sportsbet/IASbet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1U Essendon -10.5 @ 1.92 (Sportsbet)
1U Over 186.5 @ 1.90 (Bet 365)

Essendon have put in one of their best teams which I feel is slightly better than Ports. They looked good last week against GC even with a fairly depleted team whereas Port hardly showed up for the first 3 quarters of their game. Port haven't named much of a defense for this game which is why I've gone for the over for total points. These two played last year with Essendon winning 118 to 88 with Watson going down early with injury. Even though its preseason and anything could happen, feeling like these two bets are worth it.

Leaning towards Port myself, however i will wait to see final teams before making a bet on them.

My reasons

Port play Etihad well and also match up against Essendon well.
Many of the Essendon team coming off a fairly taxing game in the humidity of QLD
Port have their first choice ruckman where as Bellchambers is out for the Bombers.

Just a side note but
Port paying 13.00 to win by 40+ i feel that is overs...

Leaning towards Port myself, however i will wait to see final teams before making a bet on them.

My reasons

Many of the Essendon team coming off a fairly taxing game in the humidity of QLD
Port have their first choice ruckman where as Bellchambers is out for the Bombers.

Just a side note but

I never considered that issue, good point to raise.

Essendon is going to be a difficult team to gauge this year, their form dropped off last year as a result of the ASADA fiasco and they obviously lost games towards the end of the year with the stress mounting against their Club. Viewing data from those games in particular the latter half of the season is fraught with danger.

I never considered that issue, good point to raise.

Essendon is going to be a difficult team to gauge this year, their form dropped off last year as a result of the ASADA fiasco and they obviously lost games towards the end of the year with the stress mounting against their Club. Viewing data from those games in particular the latter half of the season is fraught with danger.
i think laying it all at the feet of the ASADA stuff is probably more fraught with danger. it's a back end of the year issue they've had for a while

2013: 13-3 to 14-8
2012: 11-4 to 11-11
2011: 5-2-1- to 11-11-1 (this one is a bit of a stretch)
2010: 5-5 to 7-15
2009: 8-7 to 10-1-12 (again a bit of a stretch)

it's a pattern, not a one off caused by the investigation

My reasons

Just a side note but

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-25/finals-teams-bombers-v-power

Coupled with Bellchambers as well.

Bellchambers is out until R5/6 so I had already put a line through him. I think Paddy can do a good job of holding up the ruck duties with the occasional chop out of the new bloke Thurlow.

Paddy seems to thrive and play better when he has to ruck the majority of the games by himself anyway, seems to look a bit lost/disinterested when he plays up forward for long stints.

Port fits the criteria for "team embarrasses self in first match, will try harder in second match", which is a good way to pick winners in the preseason

1U Essendon -10.5 @ 1.92 (Sportsbet)
1U Over 186.5 @ 1.90 (Bet 365)

Essendon have put in one of their best teams which I feel is slightly better than Ports. They looked good last week against GC even with a fairly depleted team whereas Port hardly showed up for the first 3 quarters of their game. Port haven't named much of a defense for this game which is why I've gone for the over for total points. These two played last year with Essendon winning 118 to 88 with Watson going down early with injury. Even though its preseason and anything could happen, feeling like these two bets are worth it.

Well spotted, just looked into it abit aswell.

- Average total score for the past 4 games between these 2 teams is 210
- 7 out of the last 8 games between the 2 teams has covered 186.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back