2014 AFL U18 Championships

Remove this Banner Ad

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fair but he still has taken 6 years to get to even 17 disposals per game. If he has someone who gives him attention he disappears and when he doesn't he is still only capable of low 20s on a very good day. This is his best year by a fair margin bit he still has had almost half his games when he has only managed 13 disposals per game.

Thunderstruck

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2003
Seaford Meadows, SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central District
Inside players rarely have a high DE% as they get the ball the hard way where it isn't pretty and where being a lace out player is not necessary. You need the inside bulls and the outside silky types. It is rare to get both in a player. Ablett is the clear master of this. But nobody is Ablett....

Crouch will be fine, and nothing will change my mind on that. I back what I see.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Fair but he still has taken 6 years to get to even 17 disposals per game. If he has someone who gives him attention he disappears and when he doesn't he is still only capable of low 20s on a very good day. This is his best year by a fair margin bit he still has had almost half his games when he has only managed 13 disposals per game.
Number of disposals is how we rate players, now i know why you love crouch.

May 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Number aren't important but don't go over valuing uncontested ball that is "given" to players after the hard work has already been done by more well rounded or contested players.

Look, I agree, but you need outsiders who deliver the ball too. Yarran might have his flaws but at the end of the day he's second in the comp for 'goals resulting from his kicks inside 50' with 37%, behind Harvey on 44%

At the end of the day when Yarran disposes of the ball something happens. Often it's something that wouldn't happen had someone else had the ball.

I'd take 17 Chris Yarran disposals ahead of 27 Jackson MacRae disposals, for example.

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
If other players played as loose, wide and as negatively or over positively positioned then they'd get similar space and time to hit targets inside 50.

I can't rate such linear players, the way they win their ball is precarious and reliant on space being given as much as anything else. They make their team mates work harder.

A good user that can articulate effectively from a contested situation, works into space and uses the ball well is pretty much always better than someone who sits wide and is an elite user. If Yarran was brilliant with his back to goals it would be a different story, but he's merely average in that regard.

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Clem Smith's highlights are not that great - or am I missing something?
His kicking is ok at best.
He is not super quick and he fumbles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Clem Smith's highlights are not that great - or am I missing something?
His kicking is ok at best.
He is not super quick and he fumbles.

His kicking is very hit and miss, when he is under pressure he tends to bomb away with this real unconventional looking air balls!

Their is a stark contrast between this years carnival and last. I wouldn't have said he was an elite kick last year but it was a hell of a lot more composed.

He is still quick though.

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
His kicking is very hit and miss, when he is under pressure he tends to bomb away with this real unconventional looking air balls!

Their is a stark contrast between this years carnival and last. I wouldn't have said he was an elite kick last year but it was a hell of a lot more composed.

He is still quick though.

His kicking problems were obvious last year, they were just glossed over.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton

God Save Max King

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
May 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-15/phantom-draft-form-guide

Looking at Callum's phantom draft can anyone tell me how South Australia actually won the championships with 1 expected in the top 20 and Vic Metro having 10 in his top 20?

He said on twitter that Neal-Bullen and Wigg were close.

Which surprises me ahead of someone like Bampton who IMO pushes for 15-20. That's about it though.

Underrates Lever, Weller and Hammelmann, overrates Pickett, Ellis, Lamb and Smith imo

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Feel free to suggest some SA names that should be in the top 20 that missed out.

I actually have no idea, that is why I'm asking. To have 1 player in this guys top 20, yet win the championship seems very odd to me. Is it typical Victorian media bias, did Vic Metro chronically under perform, is the SA coach a tactical genius, I honestly don't know.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
I actually have no idea, that is why I'm asking. To have 1 player in this guys top 20, yet win the championship seems very odd to me. Is it typical Victorian media bias, did Vic Metro chronically under perform, is the SA coach a tactical genius, I honestly don't know.

Their gun players were short, they had a more even spread of talent. Those were the main reasons for SA winning the champs and not having top 20 picks.

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hassan Ahmat-Watkins - 12 goals yesterday. Must be getting some attention from recruiters you would think

Remove this Banner Ad

Back