2014 - an amazingly deep draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, definitely a deep draft class. Looked like being the case for a while. Unfortunately at the top end it doesn't have the quality of 2013/12.

Yes, definitely a deep draft class. Looked like being the case for a while. Unfortunately at the top end it doesn't have the quality of 2013/12.

Not sure how you can state that with any certainty. Your kid will take a year or two to develop, Petracca did his knee so we won't find out for a little longer and Brayshaw has been very impressive so far.

Jaden McGrath was looking really good for us before getting injured and he was pick 73.

You've got guys like Brayshaw, Duggan, Cockatoo, Heeney, McGrath, Miller, Lonie, Gregson, Andrews, and a couple of others who look like being good players. And you've got guys like Petracca out injured. Not to mention there are some good rookie draft picks in Sinclair, Vandenberg, Glenn and Saad.

But when you take a look at 2013, you've got Boyd, Kelly, Aish, Bontempelli, Billings, KK, McDonald, Salem, Cripps, McCarthy, Dunstan, Taylor, McStay, Robbo, Cutler, Brown, Langdon and a whole lot of others.

There's no doubt it's a deep draft but I personally like the 2013 class better. Better all round imo.

2013 was pretty impressive. Merrett, Taylor, McStay & Gardiner will all be long term players & were selected in the second round. Brown, Langdon & Honeychurch were amazing value for third & fourth rounders. Brisbane, in particular, absolutely cleaned up and will reap the rewards in a few years.

I don't like the 2014 top ten as much, but a few players I really like (Duggan, Lever, Langford, Laverde) were selected later than I expected, so it's not a knock on the draft, really.

Been super impressed by D. McKenzie, Webb and Miller so far. I'd be pretty happy if it was my club that had landed Gregson or Lonie with a third rounder, too.

2013 was pretty impressive. Merrett, Taylor, McStay & Gardiner will all be long term players & were selected in the second round. Brown, Langdon & Honeychurch were amazing value for third & fourth rounders. Brisbane, in particular, absolutely cleaned up and will reap the rewards in a few years.

I don't like the 2014 top ten as much, but a few players I really like (Duggan, Lever, Langford, Laverde) were selected later than I expected, so it's not a knock on the draft, really.

Been super impressed by D. McKenzie, Webb and Miller so far. I'd be pretty happy if it was my club that had landed Gregson or Lonie with a third rounder, too.

What is the Reason behind saying you did not like the Top 10 Much? I think the Whole 1st Round could be quite Strong

What is the Reason behind saying you did not like the Top 10 Much? I think the Whole 1st Round could be quite Strong
Oh don't get me wrong, I think it can be a strong top end too, but I'm not as enamoured with the likes of De Goey, Marchbank, Ahern & Wright as I was Kolodjashnij, Aish & McDonald, for example.

I did say a few players I really liked were selected just outside the top ten, so if they went a bit earlier I'd probably look at 2014 in a similar light to 2013.

As an aside, I love what the Dogs' head of recruiting managed after entering the draft at pick 26. Lukas Webb (#27) looks a long term player, and Bailey Dale (#45) will play his first game tomorrow after pressing for selection for a number of weeks. Toby McLean (#26) will likely follow suit in the near future, and Caleb Daniel (#46) would've debuted in Round 1 if not for a meniscus tear.

It's not that I don't like the draft - the Dogs look to have done well and a number of my pre-draft favourites were selected even later on - Drummond, McDonald, etc. I just really, really like 2013.

Not to mention Lamb, will be a very good player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh don't get me wrong, I think it can be a strong top end too, but I'm not as enamoured with the likes of De Goey, Marchbank, Ahern & Wright as I was Kolodjashnij, Aish & McDonald, for example.

You should be. De Goey is a star, I'd take him over KK, Aish and probably even McDonald. Everything he does is just top notch. Defensive pressure and tackling, wins his own ball with skill, disposes well under pressure, exceptional overhead, has goal sense. Kid is a genuine star. I'd be taking him #2 after CP. Only at this stage. Give it time, he'll sell you too.

You should be. De Goey is a star, I'd take him over KK, Aish and probably even McDonald. Everything he does is just top notch. Defensive pressure and tackling, wins his own ball with skill, disposes well under pressure, exceptional overhead, has goal sense. Kid is a genuine star. I'd be taking him #2 after CP. Only at this stage. Give it time, he'll sell you too.
I'll take your word for it. I manage to get along to more than a few Collingwood games, so I'll keep an eye out for him - well, moreso than usual.

Personally i think 2013 has 2014 covered really comfortably particularly at the top end. That said an extra year makes a big difference so it could certainly even up.

Lets not forget that there were a lot more "talls" at the top end of last year's draft (5 in the top 16- 6 if you include Marchbank, who some say has grown to KPP size- compared to just 3 in the first 19 in 2013) and that they will generally take longer to show something at AFL level than most of those shorter types who were taken in the first round in particular in 2013. So it could take a few years to get a good idea of which will be better overall, because we're not really comparing apples with apples.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back