2014 ARIAs

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a bit of a shame isn't it. As a kid the ARIAs had a fair bit of cultural cache at the time. No one cares anymore. I think the last time that I sat down and watched it was when Daniel Johns did that PG 4 PM spray paint stunt (wow that did not age well in hindsight). Think it was 2006.

Last edited:
Regained a tad of credibility when Tame Impala swept them the other year. Chet Faker probably deserves album of the year (I assume he is nominated at least)
Any credibility it regained is now gone seeing as I just found out that 5 Seconds of Summer won Song of the Year.

It's a bit of a shame isn't it. As a kid the ARIAs had a fair bit of cultural cache at the time. No one cares anymore. I think the last time that I sat down and watched it was when Daniel Johns did that PJ 4 PM spray paint stunt (wow that did not age well in hindsight). Think it was 2006.

Who was pj?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Garrett was just getting into federal politics around that time from memory. He had been elected as a HoR member in the 2004 election, and started to take on portfolios following the 2007 Rudd victory.

I got that I just didn't get pj.

All sorted.

Thanks BigFooty community.

Chet made a real dick of himself. If he thought he was too cool to be there, why go. Those speeches were an embarrassment to himself and anybody who may of helped him along the way.

Not to thank a single person in 2 speeches. Nice touch Chet.

Wow, this Chet Faker guy's music is atrocious. With a name like that, I figured he would have the ironic hipster beard and I wasn't mistaken.

Sounds like the kind of dreck an 18 year old chick would put on a 'chill playlist'.

Wow, this Chet Faker guy's music is atrocious. With a name like that, I figured he would have the ironic hipster beard and I wasn't mistaken.

Sounds like the kind of dreck an 18 year old chick would put on a 'chill playlist'.
He's ******* shocking.

I have no idea how the bloke has become so massive. I saw him live once at a festival, he was a big draw card, and the dude was just dull. Every single song sounded the same. It's all tender piano ballads with a few wob-wobs taken from the second James Blake album and some indifferent, unmemorable lyrics. When he told the crowd he was playing that Talk Is Cheap song next, I was expecting some festival-extravaganza where the girls with eyes like those black marbles would all sing the chorus in unison. But it had absolutely no zeal. There was no melody. There was no power. It was just soft, it just floated around and I felt cheated of at least being in the middle of a big chorus.

Plus that beard and haircut. The dude doesn't even dress cool. He just wears boring clothes like every other arseclown in Abbotsford.

You know Australian youth culture is rooted when the people leading the call are just saying what we already know. And wearing what everyone else is – in the worst way.

At the end of it, Chet Faker's just fooled Australia again – latching on to a sound cool in other place and claiming it as his own. He's just another opportunistic scenester. I remember reading some article where he was trying to infer he had this Huck Finn existence of riding around bikes by himself... only not from Otway National Park to open drains, but his mum's house in Kew and his dad's in Hawthorn. What a harsh, nasty upbringing in affluent upper-middle and lower-upper. What can a man like that sing about that's apparently For All The People? It's barely Common People.

He stands for absolutely nothing too. The kids who listen to him probably cry to his songs thinking they're listening to someone Who Hell Gets Them. They're probably voting Liberal and they're probably, let me guess, into Flume, and Lame Impala, and Allday...

And that's without yet mentioning that snarl permanently affixed to his face. That smug, arrogant twat of a face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back