2016 Aussie Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Dayne Kelly won a futures tournament in Thailand. Jason Kubler and Andrew Harris are into the final of there tournaments in the Netherlands and USA.

A few Aussies playing this week in the American challenger Winnetka:

Kokkinakis Vs Dustov
Saville Vs (3) Donskoy
(5) Groth Vs Qualifier
Smith Vs Qualifier

Greg Jones is making his comeback in a challenger even in Equador.

Dissapointing results. Greg Jones pulled out.

Dustov Def Kokkinakis 7-6(5) 7-6(4)
(3) Donskoy Def Saville 6-1 6-2
(Q) McDonald Def (5) Groth 5-7 7-6(8) 6-3 (Lost to the world number 691)
Smith Def (Q) Nevolo 6-7(4) 6-4 6-3

The guy that beat Groth ended up making the semis, maybe he has some game but yeah disappointing result. Smith ended up making the semis but lost this morning.

Rogowska won a 50K tournament in the States. Should bring her ranking up to about 109. She should get the U.S Open Wildcard. Kokkinakis is through to a futures final in Canada after Ben Mitchell pulled out of the semi final match.

Kokkinakis had a good win over the 7th seed Krajicek 6-4 6-2. He will play Stakhovsky in the semis. Ben Mitchell and Luke Saville will play each other for a spot in the semis in Granby challenger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would guess it would have been mid 2001 with Hewitt, Rafter, Philippoussis, Arthurs, Ilie and Stoltenberg. Not 100% sure though.
My guess would be about the same, it's certainly been a rare sight.

There was a period when guys like Reid, Guccione, Luczak, A. Jones & Healey were all doing enough to potentially crack the 100, probably around 2004. I think Draper was still hanging around at the time as well. But I doubt more than 4 or so were in the 100 at any given time, maybe 6 in the top 150 at best.

Hopefully we can get back to the mid 90s, when various guys were making GS SF runs. Wishful thinking though, will probably never happen again.

My guess would be about the same, it's certainly been a rare sight.

Hopefully we can get back to the mid 90s, when various guys were making GS SF runs. Wishful thinking though, will probably never happen again.

I think Tomic and Kyrgio are both good enough and they'll have 6 to 10 years of playing together. It's just a matter of if they can raise their game that little bit to allow for it to be on a consistant basis

I completely agree, I think Tomic and Kyrgios are potential champions of the sport.

But I'm talking about a number of guys going deep in slams. Back in the mid 90s, guys like Masur, Woodforde, Woodbridge, Stoltenberg, etc. all went on GS SF runs. Cahill in the late 80s as well. Guys lucky to peak in the top 20. Would be good to have that sort of depth behind the likes of Tomic and Kyrgios.

In Lexington:

(6) Duckworth Def (WC) Quigley 7-6(5) 3-6 7-5
Reid Def (2) Polansky 6-4 3-6 6-3

Great win for Reid. His first match since Wimby which he got injured and had to be carried off the court. Duckys score is a bit worrying but also his first match since the Gasquet loss. Tomorrow we have:

(WC) Kokkinakis Vs Smethhurst
(SE) Mitchell Vs Gomez
(LL) Thompson Vs Saville

Remove this Banner Ad

Back