Fantasy 2014 BigFooty Mock Draft - Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rules
•Commences Friday, March 21 at 12pm (AEDT)
•Only post your selection, all discussion to be posted in the discussion thread.
•When drafting, please post the name of the player, his position, his school, and a picture of the player.
•Each person has 8 hours to make their pick from when they are on the clock. NB: the deadline between picks may be varied at my discretion.
•If you do not make your pick within the time you will be auto-picked. The BPA will be selected from a consensus view in the discussion thread.
•If you don't think you can make your pick send me a preference list.
•Only trades involving picks for picks is allowed.
•If an NFL trade occurs, our draft board will be adjusted only for picks not yet selected.
•Aiming for a seven round comprehensive draft, but will play by ear when we reach the later rounds.
•Compensatory selections cannot be traded.

Helpful Links
http://walterfootball.com/
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft
http://www.drafttek.com/default.asp

Trades
Rich (BB code):
Jaguars get: Browns 1st + 6th
Browns get: Jaguars 2nd + 3rd
--------
Tampa Bay gets: Browns 2nd (pick 35), Browns 3rd (via Pittsburgh) (pick 83) and Browns fourth (via Indianapolis) (pick 127)
Cleveland Browns get: Tampa Bay 2nd (pick 38), Tampa Bay 3rd (pick 69) and Tampa Bay 5th (pick 143)
--------
Detroit Lions receive: Jacksonville 4th (pick 105) and Jacksonville 7th (pick 222)
Jacksonville Jaguars receive: Detroit 4th (pick 111) and Detroit 6th (pick 189)
--------
Seattle Seahawks receive: Terrelle Pryor
Oakland Raiders receive: Seattle 7th (pick 247)

2014 BigFooty Mock Draft Board
Link to Draft Board Spreadsheet

Spreadsheet is editable. So people can just go to spreadsheet and update it directly. But please still post your selection in the thread and tag the next person up.

Last edited:

47311_e82e808a59d9ea388a1fa5ad2a6cb522.jpeg

With the second overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the St Louis Rams select..........

Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

clowney.jpeg

DE isn't a massive need for the Rams, with All-Pro Robert Quinn and the reliable Chris Long already gracing the locker room, but when you have a talent on the board like Clowney it's hard to go past him. In this league defensive rotation is vital and this provides the Rams with one of, if not the most, fearsome group of pass rushers in the league. We all know what he can do, you just have to watch the tape. There's questions about his work ethic, but I think that having competitive professionals around him, like Quinn, Long and Laurinaitis, that he'll be bought into line pretty quickly.

Striker475 you're on the clock

With the third pick in the NFL draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select...

Greg Robinson, T, Auburn

461033885.0_standard_709.0.jpg

While not the #1 prospect in terms of 'ready-now' on the offensive line, Auburn's Greg Robinson has so much raw talent that he's just too good a prospect to pass up. Robinson has the raw aggression to play tackle. He blocks any and all comers, understanding both current scheme and what occurs when a play deteriorates but there is still ability to come away with something. He can block in both zone and man schemes. While he still has kinks, if he can work through them he'll be a surefire #1 tackle, and with Luke Joeckel on the other flank the Jags' O-line will be secure for years to come.

Oh, and I rate him a top-5 prospect for sure. With Clowney and Mack gone and Watkins not really a need (pending suspensions ofc) the O-line becomes the next look-in for the Jags who still have talent gaps on the board.

Blacky - Cleveland is on the clock.

Last edited by a moderator:
nfl_g_goodell_576.jpg

With the fourth pick in the 2014 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns select...

Teddy Bridgewater QB - Louisville.

teddy-bridgewater-louisville.jpg

We were banking on one of the A+ grade defenders falling to us, but instead we take who we believe is the best QB in the draft.

His ceiling isn't has high as Bortles but can contribute right away and is a safe bet for a franchise which has always lacked QB talent.

Jordan Cameron and Josh Gordon will provide a great tandem to facilitate Bridgewaters transition.

manureid - Oakland is on the clock.

Probably would have liked Mack here, and I know GG wants Manziel, but given news has it Schaub is on his way, best option is to give him the best WR in the class (which I would have done anyway Schaub or not).

With the 5th selection in the 2014 draft The Oakland Raiders pick:

Sammy Watkins - WR - Clemson.

Sammy+Watkins+Citadel+v+Clemson+3rxT6PFQSoMl.jpg

Last edited:
Phew. Thought I was in a world of trouble when all the DEs and OTs were going early but thankfully a QB snuck into the mix to delay the order for me so with Clowney, Robinson and Mack all gone this selection is easy.

With Pick 6 the Atlanta Falcons select:

Jake Matthews - OT - Texas A&M

You're up superfreak .

NFLdraft21.jpg

With the seventh pick in the 2014 NFL draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...

Mike Evans WR, Texas A&M

hi-res-185942967-mike-evans-of-the-texas-a-m-aggies-has-the-ball-go-off_crop_exact.jpg

Could have gone any number of ways with this pick. QB, OL, LB, TE all needs for the Bucs.

Manziel and Bortles were tempting, but I'm not sold that either can be a franchise QB at this stage. I'm much more comfortable looking to next year's draft class should we still need to find a signal caller.

I really like Taylor Lewan but seeing that we just added Collins, and have Dotson as our RT, it didn't make much sense, whilst there wasn't a guard worth taking this high.

I like Anthony Barr as well, and Eric Ebron was a consideration, but ultimately, the opportunity to grab another big, physical WR to put across from Vincent Jackson was too great to ignore.

McCown had success in Chicago thanks in part to Marshall and Jeffrey on the outside, and VJ and ME can do the same in Tampa.

Also, VJ is slated to earn $11m next year as a 33 year old. There is a slight chance that we could release him and ME would be the perfect replacement as out No. 1 WR.

Buzzasto DaSilva / Vikings on the clock #8

Last edited:
Pick 8- Minnesota Vikings

UCF_Temple_Football.JPEG-01055_t607.JPG

I planned on taking a certain safety or tight-end at this point as I truly expected the big three to be off the board. In fact, my number #1 plan was to draft Kalil Mack, but he has risen deservedly so over the past couple of weeks and is a secure top 3 pick imo. So why Blake Bortles? I see him as a very solid and safe pick that can carry an up and down Minnesota Vikings on his back into the future. He is excellent at reading the game and has a fast release that will help against some of the fast charging defences of the NFC North. But most effectively, I think that he can be high-class quarterback that will take the pressure of Adrian Peterson and provide the Vikings with a more even spread across the field. Far too much load is placed AP's shoulders and by taking the best available quarterback early on in the draft- the Vikings will be more difficult to read and can gain some big yards downfield rather than rely on the small man.

Last edited:
With the 9th pick in the draft the Buffalo Bills select.

Marquise Lee, WR, USC.

Lee has all the physical tools to be an elite deep threat in the NFL. Explosive speed will challenge all corners in the league to keep up with him. His sophomore season was one of the best by a USC wideout in school history.

With less talent around him in 2013 and some mild injury conerns, lee's production dipped in his junior year but has shown he could be a dangerous threat especially with a strong armed quarterback like EJ Manuel.

By putting Lee with Stevie Johnson and Robert Woods, in addition to dangerous runningback tandem fred Jackson and Cj Spiller.

The Bills offense is becoming as exciting as any in the AFC.

I contemplated going defense here and O line, but I felt the BPA in each position was gone, and I feel Lee is being undervalued int his years draft and will put this years sub par year behind him quickly. Could be anything, worth the risk at pick 9

shiny_on_top and the lions are on the clock

With the tenth pick in the 2014 NFL draft the Detroit Lions select
Anthony Barr - OLB - UCLA
AnthonyBarr_UCLA-520x245.jpg

To tell the truth, I wasn't sure about this pick. I was hoping to trade up for Sammy or hope Mike Evans fell. I also thought long and hard about Odell here (mancrush of mine). Anyway, Barr is a freak of nature - has the athleticism with the best of them. Whether he can put it all together seems a question in itself. I see him playing the 'Von Miller' 4-3 OLB role for the Lions. They really need another player who can regularly get after the QB. He also seems quite under-rated against the run from what I've seen. In coverage he may struggle on the LOS against some of the stronger, bigger TE's; however he seems to have to speed and agility to be elite in this area. His awareness is under rated too. I've seen him drop off coverages to make an impact play in space. He'll also need to work on his motor if he's to make the leap.

Last edited:
NFLdraft21.jpg

With the eleventh pick in the 2014 NFL draft the Tennessee Titans select...

Darqueze Dennard - CB - Michigan State

Dennard-Darqueze-Michigan-State-Spartans-2013-ARTICLE.jpg

Got sidetracked. Darqueze was one of two players I was looking to take at this spot, and Shiny made the decision for me. This bloke was brought in to replace Verner and the new DC loves him a Cornerback with skills, so this just seemed like the right fit.

wce_all_da_way you are now on the clock.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the 12th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the New York (not so) Giants select...

Eric Ebron - TE - North Carolina

Ebron.jpg

Had a real big think about this one. There were some targets on the board that could be real difference makers for the Giants. Could have gone OL or DL quite easily with some of the talented options available, but decided in the end to go the flashier pick. Ebron is a ridiculous receiver that will really help out the Giants receiving game and give them that extra option over the middle. He's got safe hands and is a very difficult matchup with his size and speed for any linebacker or CB. I think the value is there, he could go anywhere from 8-25 on draft day and he is by far the best receiving threat left on the board. I really struggled not to make a pick on one of the lines, and to be honest I see it as more likely that the Giants would draft these positions on draft day, but Ebron is the pick.

LouisvilleLip is up next.

With the 13th pick the St Louis rams select....

USATSI_6917598.jpeg

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Safety, Alabama

The hard part about a draft having lots of depth is that there is multiple players to choose from. But you can only choose one and luckily for me, this guy fills a massive need. Clinton-Dix will slot in nicely and further improve the Rams defence.

TennisPlayerAndy you are on the clock...

Last edited:
With the 15th pick Steelers select WR Jordan Matthews of Vanderbilt.

Jordan+Matthews+Mississippi+v+Vanderbilt+gjNKOGmyb6ll.jpg

Lots to like about Jordan Matthews here.. a Jordan Nelson like playmaker with more UPSIDE. I did look at the Steelers CB needs and felt that Gilbert is 'overrated / diva' material to be worthy of a first round pick. He possibly isn't the third nor fourth best CB in the draft IMHO. As some are aware… Jordan Matthews is a second cousin to one of the all-time greatest WR's, Jerry Rice. That's a pedigree one does NOT overlook so lightly.

Balanced route-runner with a sizeable catching radius. Size allowed him to be moved inside and out in Vandy's offense, allowing the team to find him favorable matchups. Detailed and reliable route-runner. Very good hand-eye coordination to haul in tough passes, including one-handed catches.

Career totals: SEC's all-time leader with 262 receptions and 3,759 receiving yards including 1,477 yards on 112 receptions with 8TD's.

Biggest soft hands in the combine… 10 3/8" is a big PLUS. Can curl in one handers and has great eye-hand co-ordination. Ran a 4.40 which is not extremely fast but quick enough. Some may think that Matthews is a qualified second rounder.. he probably is but I see TOO MANY BUSTS on other options being touted as first round looks on many mock drafts. Benjamin may be a bigger gorilla than Matthews but I simply do not like Benjamin at all… certified BUST right there.

I can see Matthews lasting the NFL journey (12+ years) and that's what you want in a drafted pick regardless where they are picked.

Next up: Cowboys larkis

With the 16th pick Cowboys select Aaron Donald - DT - Pittsburgh

8b4521cb03be4c8a9d6e55f2b9129864.jpg

"He starred at the Senior Bowl, ranking as arguably the week's most disruptive defender throughout the all-important week of practice. This, of course, comes off of a 2013 campaign in which the unanimous first-team All-American was recognized with the Outland Trophy, Chuck Bednarik Award, Bronko Nagurski Award and CBSSports.com Defensive Player of the Year with 59 tackles, 28.5 tackles for loss, 11 sacks and four forced fumbles in 13 games."
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...tts-aaron-donald----not-clowney----big-winner

Even with his talented physical stats, Aaron Donald is just a player with it all. Stoked that he fell this far but for someone as talented as Donald he will be a Cowgirl for the upcoming season.

quin_stick with the next pick

With the 17th pick the Baltimore Ravens select...

USATSI_7574856.jpg

Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State

Everyone talks about needing a jump-ball WR to replace Boldin, but IMO what wee really need is someone who can get open underneath and gain YAC, which is what we get here. Sharp route-runner and a beast after the catch. We have most of our short term needs covered, so while this isn't exactly best available, he can learn from Steve Smith for a year or two and be a serious threat from inside and outside in years to come. Martin was tempting but I really reckon Ricky Wagner, who fared well when required outside of the Denver game, will get a shot.

Dixie Flatline and the Jets on the clock

Jets pick Odell Beckham Jr - WR - Louisiana State University.

13454361-standard.jpg

In selecting Beckham, the Jets lean heavily on the scouting report from former LSU special teams coach, Thomas McGaughey, whom the Jets hired as a special teams coach in the off-season.

Beckham Jr and Jarvis Landry (still available at time of writing) combined to give LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger a 1-2 punch at wide-out. Beckham Jr ran a 4.43 second 40-yard dash at the NFL combine and 3.94 seconds in the 20-yard shuttle drill (a top performer at the combine). Over three seasons with LSU, Beckham Jr set LSU's single-season record with 2315 all-purpose yards in 2013. Beckham Jr was named All-SEC first-team selection as an all-purpose player and named All-American third team pick as an all-purpose player.

At 5'11" and 198lb, Beckham Jr is not likely to ever evolve into a no. 1 receiver, unless he learns to achieve separation from his defenders at an elite level. Indeed, Beckham Jr demonstrated his ability at college level to sink hips and change gears to create separation from his defender, but he lacks the elite top end speed to burn his defenders. Nonetheless, the Jets will be intrigued by his undoubted play-making ability.

Although LSU used Beckham Jr as a punt- and kick-returner, he wasn't a stand-out special teamer and the Jets will likely use Beckham Jr as an alternate to Jeremy Kerley in that role. Indeed, there is a great degree of similarity between Beckham Jr and Kerley in the fact that Beckham Jr looks to be best suited to playing out of the slot in the NFL.

Last edited:
goodell-gestapo.png

With the 19th Selection in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select....

OT Taylor Lewan Michigan

200px-TaylorLewan.jpg

SUMMARY
The Miami Dolphins are rebuilding the OL after the Bullygate scandal, and lo and behold, one of the best Tackles in the draft, Taylor Lewan, magically falls to us at pick 19. Thank-you very much to the other 18 teams picking before us. Lewan will slot into the RT position, and bring the kind of off-field and on-field character currently lost with Incognito suspended.

Sticks_Of_Fury cardinals on the clock

With the 20th pick Arizona select Justin Gilbert - CB - Oklahoma State

Justin+Gilbert+TCU+v+Oklahoma+State+ZUO78nPpquil.jpg

In terms of pure athleticism, Gilbert is the class of the 2014 draft. He possesses remarkably light feet, allowing him to quickly drop in his backpedal while keeping his eyes trained on his receiver (and also sneaking a peek on the quarterback). The depth gained allows him to be patient when flipping his hips to turn and run downfield or plant and explode in either direction as receivers attempt to cross in front of him. Gilbert changes directions fluidly and has impressive acceleration to handle deep coverage responsibilities against speedy receivers. Gilbert possesses prototypical height and overall frame for the position with broad shoulders and long arms. He extends well to snatch the ball out of the air and times his leap well. Gilbert is a willing tackler, who closes quickly and effectively.
Whether on kick returns or after interceptions, Gilbert's patience, vision and acceleration make him a threat to go the distance.

With the 21st pick Green Bay select Ra'Shede Hageman - DT - Minnesota

hageman.jpg

With Pryor and Clinton-Dix the Packers decide to chose the 6'6" 141kg monster from Minnesota to add to their defensive line. The potential that Hageman has and his physical attributes are just too good to ignore and at 21 the Pack have no problems pulling the trigger. Won't be asked to come in and start straight away as he will be behind Raji, Daniels, Jones, Peppers, Neal and Boyd in the rotations but the Packers see him taking over from Raji in 2015.

Oscarman you're now on the clock.

Dee Ford, DE/OLB, Auburn. Thought about Johnny Manziel but QB is not a need, and it would be a reach for any of the remaining cornerbacks or safeties still on the board.

Dagless all yours to give Fat Andy someone to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back