2014 cricket winter

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 4, 2009
kanamaluka
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Hurricanes
There may be a few contributors in this thread every month or so I thought I'd put it up. When I have the time I'll see if anything internationally interests me.

England tour of the West Indies

Both sides aren't at full strength but I rate England's squad far higher than the Windies and I never expected odds any higher than $1.60.
  • 1u England to defeat WI 1st ODI @ $1.81
  • 1u England to win ODI series @ $1.95
  • 0.5u England most sixes @ $2.75
Asia Cup
  • 1u Sri Lanka to defeat India @ $2.20

Last edited:

There may be a few contributors in this thread every month or so I thought I'd put it up. When I have the time I'll see if anything internationally interests me.

• 1u England to defeat WI 1st ODI @ $1.81
  • 0.5u England most sixes @ $2.75
Asia Cup
  • 1u Sri Lanka to defeat India @ $2.20
1-0-2 (-0.3u)

• 1u England @ $1.90
Sheffield Shield
  • Have decided to leave the Tas-Vic game but I lean toward Tas @ $2.10.

Omg England - I guess side ratings and value does not factor in their pathetic attempts to lose games which are very difficult to lose. Looking at 2/2. 81 runs to win, 8 wickets, and 30 overs left and you might lose? Shucks

How's it going Tassieboy? Nice thread, hope it brings out some good discussion and tips. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be round here too often to post, too busy.

Wasn't going to come here but 4.5U – SA Under 236.5 @ $1.83 (Bet365)

Last time in Adelaide SA were 4/77 end of day 4 and only ended up with 230-odd after batting out the whole fifth day.

Expect AUS to win before tea today. Haven't showed any signs of not being able to bowl teams out.

Was going to stay away from cricket but this should be $1.40 ish, not $1.83

1.5u No century @ $1.66
0.5u England win @ $1.84
1-0-2 (-0.3u)

• 1u England @ $1.90
Sheffield Shield
  • Have decided to leave the Tas-Vic game but I lean toward Tas @ $2.10.
Lucky I didn't play Tas.
1-0-0 (+0.9u). YTD: +0.6

West Indies - England 3rd ODI
  • 1.5u no century @ $1.66
Effectively have 1u on England. I hope Morgan and Hales aren't rested...

I tailed the under 224.5 at $2.35 at the TAB (it was about 3 overs in so went up despite about 3 runs in this time - odd). But since du Plessis has come in the run rate's gone up slightly and I reckon we're likely to see edges through slips for 4s etc with the new ball. Pretty happy to trade out by taking centrebet's over 220.5 at $1.88

4.5U – SA Under 236.5 @ $1.83 (Bet365) L

Sorry guys, first big-ish bet that hasn't come off for me in a while.
Disappointing to say the least. Not sure why Duminy/Philander started hitting out after a while.

Philander looks far more comfortable when playing shots than when defending, so it was always going to be a risky bet if he stayed in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1.5u No century @ $1.66
0.5u England win @ $1.84

Lucky I didn't play Tas.
1-0-0 (+0.9u). YTD: +0.6

West Indies - England 3rd ODI
  • 1.5u no century @ $1.66
Effectively have 1u on England. I hope Morgan and Hales aren't rested...

YTD: +0.05u

Bangladesh v Afghanistan
  • 0.75u Afghanistan most sixes @ $2.60
  • 0.5u Tamim Iqbal most runs Bangladesh @ $4.50
Bangladesh aren't a six hitting team and Afghanistan have proven they don't mind striking the ball over the rope and I have this market about $2.10 - $2.15 apiece. I think this is excellent value unless someone like Mortaza blitzes at the end for Bangladesh.

I always like openers for most runs in T20 games. I have Iqbal around $4 so I'll take the money. Shakib and Rahim are the dangers. I would save on Shakib had he bat at 3 or been $6, but I suspect he will bat 4.

Bangladesh aren't a six hitting team
Got burnt on this twice recently; batting first against India and then chasing against Sri Lanka. Also, Anamal Haque has failed in the last two games, but his year to date has been terrific. I'm on him for most Bangladesh runs for the tournament, at $4.50.

Got burnt on this twice recently; batting first against India and then chasing against Sri Lanka. Also, Anamal Haque has failed in the last two games, but his year to date has been terrific. I'm on him for most Bangladesh runs for the tournament, at $4.50.
I think whether he opens or not will make a big difference. Rumors suggest he may.

I've had some success in the last couple of World Cups with hi bats for minnow countries - picking guys that are in OK form during the qualifiers that bat 5-8 in the batting order at big odds. Reasoning behind it is that I reckon top orders can easily be 3-10 for the minnow sides and thus there's some value with those lower-middle order players.

From memory I got some Canadian bloke up at $26 last World Cup and the one before that my pick got pipped in the last game at $17 but gave a good option to trade out given he went into the last game about 30 ahead.

These two are with TopSport - I've confirmed with them that the rules are that the qualifying games don't count, so they'd need to actually make the main draw for these to have action. I think that actually helps as the chances of a top order collapse vs the likes of Nepal are less likely. Don't take my word as gospel though as it's not on their website - I've just taken details of a phone conversation should an issue arise where they end up counting the qualifiers

Afghanistan: Shafiqullah Shafiq @ $26 - a really strange one to be so over the odds, he scored 39 & 31 in the two warms up batting at 4 & 5.
Ireland: Stuart Thompson @ $51 - scored 19* & 35 in the warmups

OK. With the World Cup next year, I am to see how viable cricket punting is. In a bit of a look and see stage - i.e to see if I can make money - but have found what I think is good value.

Sri Lanka South Africa - 2nd ODI - 9/7/14
  • 1u Sri Lanka H2H @ $1.92
  • 1u South Africa most sixes @ $2
  • 0.5u Sangakarra most runs for SL @ $4
  • 0.33u Dilshan most runs SL @ $5
  • 0.5u Amla most runs for SA @ $4
  • 0.33u AB most runs SA @ $5
  • 1.5u AB most runs v Jayawardene @ $1.90
Sri Lanka have won the ODI/Test/T20 series in England and the Asia Cup beforehand. SA have a poor record in Sri Lanka and I am happy to put a line through the first game. Sri Lanka were actually @ $2 with 100 runs to win, but collapsed badly.

Sangakarra is probably the best bat in the world at the moment and $4 is good value. I'm not sure about Dilshan's form at the moment, but he averages nearly 100 at Kandy with 5 centuries in 10 innings so it's necessary to save. Amla is a fabulous one-day batsman who thrives in Asia and also happy to take the $4. He has been working on his technique in Surrey, and despite not being fluent in his first match century may well be coming into top form. I also have a good priced saver on AB who, despite batting below his current position of 4, was dominant against Pakistan/India when Amla failed or didn't play. Moreover, AB is an A+ ODI player and at $1.90 is great value against a B - B+ ODI player in Jayawardene whose ODI career may be coming to a close. Should be closer to $1.60 odds.

Ordinarily I don't like taking South Africa in 'sixes' markets, but at evens, they are a good prospect again I side that just doesn't clear the rope, unless Perera gets going late. Always fade Sri Lanka if their opponents are paying $2+.

Sri Lanka - South Africa series
  • 0.5u Sri Lanka to win @ $3.20
England - India 1st Test - 9/7/14
  • 0.5u Shami most 1st innings wickets India @ $4
  • 0.33u Rahane most runs India @ $8
  • 0.33u India to win @ $4.08
Shami has been a terrific find with the ball for India. Big overs, especially in England. True odds should be around $3. Would like to make this a 0.75 - 1u play, but will start cautiously.

For the Test series, I think it's a lottery. England are abysmal atm and India are notoriously useless away from home and have an inexperienced team, although it does look better on paper than England. As such I have a lean toward India @ $2.80. Happy to leave the series alone for the time being.

However, for the First Test, I am having a small play on India at odds. I rate them around $3.50. Their form line is now worse than Sri Lanka, so a value play. Rain may be a concern, but with a dry pitch expected and overcast conditions, I'm not sure five days will be needed. Trent Bridge has seen low first innings scores since the new drainage system ahead of the 2009 World T20.

Last edited:
Sri Lanka South Africa - 2nd ODI - 9/7/14
  • 1u Sri Lanka H2H @ $1.92
  • 1u South Africa most sixes @ $2
  • 0.5u Sangakarra most runs for SL @ $4
  • 0.33u Dilshan most runs SL @ $5
  • 0.5u Amla most runs for SA @ $4
  • 0.33u AB most runs SA @ $5
  • 1.5u AB most runs v Jayawardene @ $1.90
Result: +0.41u
Total: +0.41u
Sri Lanka - South Africa - 3rd ODI - 12/7/14