2014 Div 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think they'd want to give the Stars a five goal start like the second semi either! Heard a bit about the conditions not being extremely conductive to talls so there could be some tough decisions.

Take nothing away from Mernda's start but to be fair, 2 of Merndas first 4 goals were directly from extremely poor umpiring decisions. 1 was a double goal for a late attempted tackle which ive only ever seen paid as another kick when the goal wasnt kicked. The other a down field free kick from the goal square which was also mind boggling.

In the semi it was north, stars , stars , north. Hardly a five goal start. If dowling is fit, he plays. Agile enough when the ball hits the deck and forecast is mostly sunny light wind top of 18. But i do agree a good start is crucial. Too hard playing catch up against the stars as they are a confidence team.

Last edited:
In the semi it was north, stars , stars , north. Hardly a five goal start. If dowling is fit, he plays. Agile enough when the ball hits the deck and forecast is mostly sunny light wind top of 18. But i do agree a good start is crucial. Too hard playing catch up against the stars as they are a confidence team.

So blowing a gale at preston then

It was quite warm in the sun on Saturday and the doggies had to work a bit harder than they would have been expecting to.
With the weeks rest I'm tipping the Stars in a close one.
Good luck to both teams.
PS go Mernda maggos

Div 2 History
Fitzroy Stars
2012 - Lost a preliminary final to North Heidelberg and were legitimately the 3rd best side that year
2013 - Were probably the equal 2nd best side with North Heidelberg behind Whittlesea and lost in their first Div 2 grand final for a long time
2014 - Were the 2nd best home and away team but arguably on par if not in front of North Heidelberg right now.
North Heidelberg
2012 – Lost in their first Div 2 grand final in a rippa to the best team in epping that year.
2013 – Lost a prelim to whittlesea the eventually premiers and best team that year without Harvey.
2014 – Best home and away team but lost their only home and away game and first final to the Fitzroy stars.
Important players
Fitzroy stars – Dow, Murray, Hayes, Whyman, Davis
North Heidelberg – Harvey, Ryan, Dowling, Gilbert, Florence
The game plan
Fitzroy stars – The game plan of stars will be to win the clearances and provided quick entry into their forward line and let their marking small forwards do the rest. They must also not allow marks inside their defensive 50 and must hurt the dogs on the way out with quick ball movement. Thorpe must also limit Harvey. Their pressure must be manic and they also must stick their tackles as they did in the first semi.
North Heidelberg – Will need to dominate the ruck to help the mids get first use. Clearances must result in quick forward entries to allow their tall forwards one on one contest’s. Dowling’s fitness is crucial here. They must shutdown the stars defensive run out of the backline, taking marks up forward will help this as well as forward defensive pressure. I assume holmes will be 1 playing that role. Scoreboard pressure - opportunities must be converted because the stars are a high scoring and confidence team. The dogs must also find at least 1 small defender shutdown hayes or whyman, ideally 2. Shutting down 1 of these two will go a long way to winning the game.
Prediction
Having both been at the big dance in the last 2 years I don’t think the occasion will be a factor too much here. Both mid fields will give their team a chance so it will come down to which forward line operates best. North’s talls v stars smalls. Stars by 8pts.

big move by the doggies taking out there quickest player in Justin Bentley, especially against a quick side like stars.
A repeat of the semi i think

Dowling is in for Doggies which is a big boost, will try to stretch Stars defence. JB unlucky as I think there are a couple of North's smaller forwards who probably have not done enough over last 5-6 weeks eg. Taylor/Taggett or a tall perhaps Habchi. Holmes is a big plus, a jet but first 20 mins will be interesting to see whether North are more physical without overdoing it than 2nd semi. Can't afford Stars to run it coast to coast like few week's back. North by 4 points.

Think Stars will get up, and it'd be a fairytale for Jacko after last year. Stars by three goals.

North finished five games ahead of us in the magoo's but three of the games we've played against them this year finished within five goals. We're a chance tomorrow.

St Mary's should quite frankly win by 10 goals in the 19s.

Grand Final.
These two have been the standout teams of the division and rightly deserve, if there is such a thing, of going around in the big dance. The questions are: have the Doggies learnt from their semi final loss and did last weeks match take anyting out of them giving this game will be a fast and furious one. And of course, will the Stars benefit from the weeks rest and use the same, or a different game plan from the semi. Both teams have good finals experience although nerves in teh big game can appear from nowhere. Think it will be which team settles down quickly and sticks to their game plan. Doggies by 7 points.

Well done to north Heidelberg on winning flags in both grade. Were the best teams this year and played accordingly today. Missed opportunities in the first lead to a deficit and therefor indiscipline. North forward line operated the best over the course of the day and overlap run by stars was not a issue. Perhaps the heat had something to do with that or maybe just a good all ground defensive effort. North were really good but cant help but feel that stars failed to shine on the big stage once again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty quiet here already few posers:
I thought north were brilliant early Saturday and brought a real heat that was too good for stars to cope with, yes they cut the margin but clearly the better side won
Any truth to the rumour stars turned nasty on Saturday night and the next day? Over selection maybe

Can they get over the loss again in a granny? A lot of freakish talent but imagine someone could get that group fit or even half fit ?
I think north will be ok next year they'd have to pick a few up as a couple of oldies won't make the grade but they definitely ain't the worst to go up and seem to have good depth
Will all the old firm head back to whittlesea again? Harro? Blockbuster that game would be against stars

Harro won't be back nth were 2 good and I was wrong I won't get sucked into fitzroy again that's twice in granny's they've failed to perform and that will have to scare some blokes

North were amazing and clearly took their last quarter prelim final form into the Grand Final.

Stars will clearly be disappointed. Still think they will finish top two next season, they're too good not to drop.

As for next year I'll wait until we see some recruits before I decide anything. Anyway all eyes are now on the senior B&F next Wednesday night. Just got my invite this afternoon.

What about Fitzroy stars surporters over near the scoreboard pulling down the bunting so there mates could see the game from outside the fence and jumping the fence this happened last year as well what a disgrace they are .

What about Fitzroy stars surporters over near the scoreboard pulling down the bunting so there mates could see the game from outside the fence and jumping the fence this happened last year as well what a disgrace they are .

As if it had any impact on your day at the footy. The league employ security at the game, I'm sure if they were extremely concerned they could have easily got out a couple of zip ties and hung it back up and had someone occupy the space. Glad you got that off your chest, must have been eating at you all week.

Last edited:
As if it had any impact on your day at the footy. The league employ security at the game, I'm sure if they were extremely concerned they could have easily got out a couple of zip ties and hung it back up and had someone occupy the space. Glad you got that off your chest, must have been eating at you all week.
Why didn't they just do what everyone else does and pay at the gate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back