List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

To help with the discussion of who should we target in the draft I thought I'd compile a depth chart to give posters a better idea of the breakdown of our list and where the are areas we need to address.

Rucks:
Ivan Maric 200cm 102kg 132 games 28 years old
Tyrone Vickery 200cm 97kg 87 games 24 years old
Shaun Hampson 201cm 104kg 74 games 26 years old
Ivan Soldo 200cm 104kg 0 games 18 years old

Key Position Forwards:
Jack Riewoldt 195cm 95kg 157 games 25 years old
Ben Griffiths 200cm 104kg 35 games 23 years old
Liam McBean 200cm 90kg 0 games 20 years old

Key Position Defenders:
Alex Rance 194cm 96kg 107 games 25 years old
Troy Chaplin 195cm 99kg 185 games 28 years old
David Astbury 195cm 96kg 37 games 23 years old
Todd Elton 197cm 97kg 1 game 21 year old

Medium Forwards:
Brett Deledio 188cm 88kg 214 games 27 years old
Nathan Gordon 188cm 86kg 14 games 24 years old
Ben Lennon 190cm 82kg 7 games 19 years old
Chris Knights 184cm 83kg 101 games 28 years old

Small Forwards:
Sam Lloyd 182cm 84kg 5 games 24 years old
Matthew McDonough 180cm 84kg 8 games 20 years old

Medium Defenders:
Bachar Houli 180cm 86kg 114 games 26 years old
Dylan Grimes 193cm 88kg 45 games 23 years old
Jake Batchelor 188cm 87kg 52 games 22 years old
Matthew Dea 186cm 87kg 31 games 23 years old

Small Defenders:
Steve Morris 185cm 83kg 64 games 25 years old
Chris Newman 181cm 83kg 251 games 32 years old

Outside Midfielders:
Dustin Martin 187cm 89kg 108 games 23 years old
Brandon Ellis 181cm 81kg 65 games 21 years old
Ricky Petterd 185cm 85kg 83 games 26 years old
Shaun Grigg 190cm 85kg 124 games 26 years old
Kamdyn McIntosh 192cm 87kg 0 games 20 years old

Inside Midfielders:
Trent Cotchin 185cm 85kg 131 games 24 years old
Anthony Miles 179cm 78kg 23 games 22 years old
Shane Edwards 182cm 83kg 152 games 25 years old
Reece Conca 185cm 83kg 71 games 22 years old
Nick Vlastuin 187cm 86kg 38 games 20 years old
Nathan Foley 178cm 79kg 154 games 29 years old
Matt Thomas 186cm 87kg 100 games 27 years old
Matt Arnot 180cm 86kg 8 games 20 years old

Age Breakdown:
6 players 18-21
19 players 22-25
8 players 26-29
2 players 30+

Games Breakdown
0-49 Games: 15
50-99 Games: 7
100-149 Games: 7
150-199 Games: 4
200+ Games: 2

Draft Picks: 12, 33, 52, 70, 88, 106(Miles Upgrade)

Needs:
Outside Midfielder
Small Defender & Forward
Medium Defender & Forward
Key Position Forward
Ruck

I hope this helps posters as they look through draft profiles and search the players they would like us to recruit. I'm not suggesting that this is as the club sees it, more an opinion piece to use as a guide. So please refrain from going too hard in any criticism of where I've placed players as it's how I see them.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
I'd call Vickery more a key forward than a ruckman. Also left out Ivan Soldo, but otherwise I pretty much agree

P.S Where do we discuss delisted free agents now that we only have draft thread?

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I have made up my mind , Im reasonably certain that the players i really wanted will not be available at our selection with maybe the exception of Weller which i really doubt also, Teams are going for quality talls which there is a few but then the mids are the gems that will be taken.
Patracca,Brayshaw,McCartin,Wright,Lever,Pickett,Leverde,Ahern,Moore,Weller,Durdin are the expected Top 11 and would be suprised if any team pulls a Conca TBH. So our selection is out of the next lot Duggan,De Goey,Langford,Marchbank,Lamb.

I would really like to know Why people dont see Nakia Cockatoo as a legitimate 1st round selection, This kid is exactly the type of player we need and fits the character requirments as well.

Born : 23.10.1996, 188cm, 86kg - This Kid Turns 18 next week , Yes thats correct is 9 months younger than Brayshaw/Patracca so he is effectively 1 year behind them as far as development goes, He probably has another 2-3 cm of growth left and is extremely powerfully built

Speed, Agility,Leap, Dual sided Kicking skills and excellent kick , Great reader of the ball , Fantastice to coach and Determined to succeed at afl level

Just some quotes from Emma Quayles article last week

" Powerfully built medium forward/midfielder with elite step through traffic. His initial speed out of the contest creates separation on his opponents. Uses the ball with precision on either side of the body and can impact the scoreboard when he pushes forward. Suffered stress fracture in foot causing him to miss the NAB AFL under-18 championships after impressing in 2013."

"He's pretty versatile. He does his homework and he looks after himself really well, he prides himself on working hard on his skills and training hard and being a student of the game. He's very coachable because of all that work he does, he wants to make sure he understands exactly how the coach wants him to play. He's the sort of kid who is always looking out for his family and his mates, he couldn't play in the nationals becuase of his foot injury but he supported the other players and spoke up in team meetings and said 'you blokes need to do this and this,' and ran water and helped in any way he could. He started back training at the end of June and that was modified until August, but he's done everything right with his rehab and he's in good shape now. I think he'll test well, his fitness is looking pretty good. He's a utility type player who could play forward, back or on a wing, and he loves the competitive stuff. At a pinch you could almost play him on a tallish forward and get him running off them. He respects people and is just a really mannered, good kid."

If this kid was playing all year and wasnt injured would be a top 3-5 selection, Pick #12 Is certainly worth taking a risk, But i dont think its actually is a Risk

FRANCIS JACKSON , BLAIR HARTLEY , LUKE WILLIAMS , DAMIEN HARDWICK , BRENDON GALE , MARK WILLIAMS - You really need to consider this kid as he is a massive talent and is exactly what we need and want at Richmond Football Club

Dragonss

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New Orlean Hornets
Thanks but I meant do you know who we want in the draft?
The last 3-4 years we have heard pretty far out on who we are keen on
Not so. I wanted Vlastuin the year before he was even drafted when his name came out in the list of prospects for the mini-draft. Feel quite good about that.

rammbo

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2011
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
This board is going to implode if cockatoo goes 11. As a non draftee follower, I can't remember so much hype about one 10+ prospect
It's because he is clearly exactly the type of player we need I don't think I've seen a more obvious first round pick for us ever but gut feel is we will take the more credentialed pick to try and b safe lmao

This board is going to implode if cockatoo goes 11. As a non draftee follower, I can't remember so much hype about one 10+ prospect

No this happens every year...last year was Dayle Garlett :rolleyes:

rammbo

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2011
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
No this happens every year...last year was Dayle Garlett :rolleyes:
Na disagree I know the gun raved on about garlett last year but he certainally acknowledged he was a risky pick .For the record I never wanted garlett like many others at the time.

tigerwill

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Nakia Cockatoo (Southern Districts/NT Thunder)

Height: 188 cm
Weight: 84 kg
Position: Utility
Strengths: Acceleration, athleticism, damage
Areas of improvement: Consistency
Player comparison: Patrick Dangerfield

The best prospect to come out of the Northern Territory this year, Nakia Cockatoo is an interesting utility who’s had his season destroyed by injuries. Missing the championships, Cockatoo hasn’t had much opportunity to prove his worth however his rare combination of height, strength and athleticism has allowed him to remain on many draft watchers’ radars. A very strong performance in the young guns’ game – a curtain raiser to the Grand Final – resulted in Nakia winning the medal for best on ground.

A big bodied utility, Cockatoo excels across the ground. With his height he’s often been used in a key defensive or third tall role in the Northern Territory, as at 188 cm he’s one of the taller juniors in the Territory. In that role he’s performed admirably, using his acceleration and speed to close down leads and his size to maintain a physical presence.

Offensively he’s able to use his abilities to provide a rebounding and running option. He has particularly excelled when playing small in defence, with his unique mix of abilities allowing him to cover and beat most opponents.

Through the midfield Cockatoo has a nice balance between inside and outside game. Possessing elite acceleration and a fantastic top speed, if Cockatoo decides to attempt to win a ground ball, he’s hard to stop as he just gets there first.

The speed at which he hits a ball coupled with his imposing body allows him a real ability to win his own ball. Upon winning a ground ball Cockatoo’s breakaway speed is elite. He’s almost always able to burst clear of a contest or create space to dispose of the ball.

By foot Cockatoo is reliable, with his kicks often furthering the play and hitting targets. However he rarely penetrates and really breaks open the game by foot. Cockatoo is also capable of working into space and providing a marking presence. When forward Cockatoo has shown some ability as a lead up forward, with his pace allowing him some separation.

The knock on Cockatoo is that he hasn’t played a full season. It’s often hard to judge a player based on their underage year, especially when that underage year is in the Northern Territory. He spent a week with North Melbourne earlier in the year as part of the AIS-AFL Academy and from all reports they were impressed with his skills and attitude.

While by foot Cockatoo is reliable, he is prone to occasionally blindly long bombing instead of lowering the head. When under pressure Cockatoo occasionally shows a lack of composure as well. With ball in hand he is prone to blazing away without thinking about the situation and as such leaves himself prone to being run down. He just tries to do too much some times – one evasive move too many or one run too many. It’s something which can be ironed out at AFL level though.

The worry with how Cockatoo will translate to AFL level is in the role he’ll play. At the moment he’s a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none. While he is able to win his own ball, he doesn’t do it with enough regularity and consistency to be a genuine inside option yet.

On the outside he’s not a damaging enough kick or consistent enough accumulator to be a genuine outside option either and in defence some of the issues that affected James Gwilt are also likely to effect Cockatoo, with him being just a little too small to play the role he’s suited to.

If Nakia is to make it, he’s likely going to have to improve his inside game to a level where he can command a place on that alone or improve his foot skills so he’d be a genuine and damaging outside option for a side.

Cockatoo is someone who could impact in season one with his matured body and versatility however it will not be until season two or three when he really begins to impose himself.

There are several players he shares some similarities with – his ability to burst out of a contest and accelerate so rapidly is not dissimilar to Patrick Dangerfield, and he shares a similar type of body and tendency to blindly kick with him too. The way in which he influences games is not dissimilar to Dangerfield as well.

When in defence he’s similar to Shaun Atley in a few ways with his disciplined defending but genuine running ability similar. He also shares a few similarities with Daniel Wells but really, Cockatoo is a bit unique with the way he plays – it’s rare to have a player with his athleticism and size. His performance in the grand final curtain raiser was impressive enough to see his draft stocks rocket.

http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-nakia-cockatoo/

Just for some balance. He has some deficiencies that can be eradicated and/or improved with experience perhaps.

SumTingWong

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 10, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, NY Giants, NY Mets
To help with the discussion of who should we target in the draft I thought I'd compile a depth chart to give posters a better idea of the breakdown of our list and where the are areas we need to address.

Rucks:
Ivan Maric 200cm 102kg 132 games 28 years old
Tyrone Vickery 200cm 97kg 87 games 24 years old
Shaun Hampson 201cm 104kg 74 games 26 years old
Ivan Soldo 200cm 104kg 0 games 18 years old

Key Position Forwards:
Jack Riewoldt 195cm 95kg 157 games 25 years old
Ben Griffiths 200cm 104kg 35 games 23 years old
Liam McBean 200cm 90kg 0 games 20 years old

Key Position Defenders:
Alex Rance 194cm 96kg 107 games 25 years old
Troy Chaplin 195cm 99kg 185 games 28 years old
David Astbury 195cm 96kg 37 games 23 years old
Todd Elton 197cm 97kg 1 game 21 year old

Medium Forwards:
Brett Deledio 188cm 88kg 214 games 27 years old
Nathan Gordon 188cm 86kg 14 games 24 years old
Ben Lennon 190cm 82kg 7 games 19 years old
Chris Knights 184cm 83kg 101 games 28 years old

Small Forwards:
Sam Lloyd 182cm 84kg 5 games 24 years old
Matthew McDonough 180cm 84kg 8 games 20 years old

Medium Defenders:
Bachar Houli 180cm 86kg 114 games 26 years old
Dylan Grimes 193cm 88kg 45 games 23 years old
Jake Batchelor 188cm 87kg 52 games 22 years old
Matthew Dea 186cm 87kg 31 games 23 years old

Small Defenders:
Steve Morris 185cm 83kg 64 games 25 years old
Chris Newman 181cm 83kg 251 games 32 years old

Outside Midfielders:
Dustin Martin 187cm 89kg 108 games 23 years old
Brandon Ellis 181cm 81kg 65 games 21 years old
Ricky Petterd 185cm 85kg 83 games 26 years old
Shaun Grigg 190cm 85kg 124 games 26 years old
Kamdyn McIntosh 192cm 87kg 0 games 20 years old

Inside Midfielders:
Trent Cotchin 185cm 85kg 131 games 24 years old
Anthony Miles 179cm 78kg 23 games 22 years old
Shane Edwards 182cm 83kg 152 games 25 years old
Reece Conca 185cm 83kg 71 games 22 years old
Nick Vlastuin 187cm 86kg 38 games 20 years old
Nathan Foley 178cm 79kg 154 games 29 years old
Matt Thomas 186cm 87kg 100 games 27 years old
Matt Arnot 180cm 86kg 8 games 20 years old

Age Breakdown:
6 players 18-21
19 players 22-25
8 players 26-29
2 players 30+

Games Breakdown
0-49 Games: 15
50-99 Games: 7
100-149 Games: 7
150-199 Games: 4
200+ Games: 2

Draft Picks: 12, 33, 52, 70, 88, 106(Miles Upgrade)

Needs:
Outside Midfielder
Small Defender & Forward
Medium Defender & Forward
Key Position Forward
Ruck

I hope this helps posters as they look through draft profiles and search the players they would like us to recruit. I'm not suggesting that this is as the club sees it, more an opinion piece to use as a guide. So please refrain from going too hard in any criticism of where I've placed players as it's how I see them.
Don't agree at all with needs. We need more than one midfielder. And the last thing we need is another KPF. Try again.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Division 2 is more about the standard of the states overall player pool rather than the individual.
Maybe so,Not knocking the kid but have seen this kind of hype before.
But wouldn't surprise,We did reach with Conca.

no orange peeler

Cancelled
Jan 21, 2007
livin the dream
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Yankees tottenham hotspur ny giants
Out of interest. Is his dad Jason Cockatoo. I played against him when i was in Darwin and he was an absolute gun, and a ripper of a bloke.

Don't agree at all with needs. We need more than one midfielder. And the last thing we need is another KPF. Try again.
We have the likes of Deledio Gordon Lennon Knights & McDonough who I've named as forwards that can play as outside midfielders so I don't see the need to go out and recruit 3-4 of them maybe 2 but no need to overdo it. Adding another outside type balances the list make up a little more.

Adding a couple of small defenders/forwards would be of more benefit to us moving forward than outside midfielders, given we don't really have that speedy small forward, while our small defender option is really only Morris and we saw this year that he had to play the season injured because we didn't have a genuine alternative.

Finally the KPF need isn't overly important and taking one as a rookie could work as it's more about getting someone in to develop. With the breakdown of the list we have 4 rucks 2 mature aged, Maric & Hampson, 1 developing in Vickery and a complete novice in Soldo. Same with the KPD position 2 mature aged Rance & Chaplin, 1 developing Astbury & and novice in Elton. Up forward it's Jack mature aged, Griffiths & McBean developing. Adding another KPF would give us that same balance in our forward structure and while plenty say that Vickery is a forward, IMO he will return to being a ruckman first as we look to develop him as the next number 1 ruck when Maric can't do it any more.

First post here boys, enjoying the read. Agree with the outside midfielder. We should have gone for Jeff Garlett, very surprised we didn't push for him.

Welcome onboard, GP.

There's bound to be some shouting about your opinion on Garlett. Don't let it put you off.

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
First post here boys, enjoying the read. Agree with the outside midfielder. We should have gone for Jeff Garlett, very surprised we didn't push for him.

Yeah agree with that...the exact type we needed.

When looking at our list it is extremely Vanilla...not much flair or speed there. I would be keen to take this Cockatoo kid just on what I am reading. He seems to have heaps of natural talent but it also sounds like he is a hard worker. Those comparing it to Tambling it is very different using a pick for to a pick 12. I think we need to take some risks with the draft because for us to get close to a flag we are going to need to pull another STAR from a pick 12.

If it doesn't come off then so be it.

From what Dan Richardson said it sounds like we are going another inside mid with pick 12 and then targeting speed with 33. I would prefer to target speed at 12 for quality and then target grunt at 33.

Back