List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you aware that highlight reel was from 1 match it's very impressive imo

Yeah, what impressed me was the way he used his leap marking and other evasiveness. To me he seems a smart player, doesn't shirk the contest either, seems to like a little hard ball so not just bling.

Seems to have a bit of strength in his thighs so solid enough and the way he runs is ideal for explosive evasive types we lack.

He has actually gone up in my ratings after seeing the vision. Seems to be more a right footer than left and his precision can be improved. I am not overly concerned by a few iffy disposals, the main thing is he has the physicals and footy prowess. You can see he has the footy ability in his genes from his father who seems to have put him on the straight and narrow in terms of focus as well as off footy stuff.

I actually think he is a bargin at 12 now.

I rate him as clearly well above Oakley Nicholls as a prospect and doesn't have the Garlett focus problems while also being a good strong size. I think he can be quite a player at AFL level tbh. If he is available at 12 RFC have to snap him up IMO!

Furthermore, if he is in the centre at times, massive burden comes off Miles and Cotchin trying to get the ball and win it IMO as they become a more cohesive team!

I think Cockatoos' evasiveness, speed, versatility and ball winning ability rally complements our team really well and tbh, he is one of the ingredients we need to really improve our team! Could be the difference whether we get into a premiership window or not IMO honestly.

Fact is he is on the younger side is a further boost to his prospects, potential and capability

Last edited:

Yeah, what impressed me was the way he used his leap marking and other evasiveness. To me he seems a smart player, doesn't shirk the contest either, seems to like a little hard ball so not just bling.

Seems to have a bit of strength in his thighs so solid enough and the way he runs is ideal for explosive evasive types we lack.

He has actually gone up in my ratings after seeing the vision. Seems to be more a right footer than left and his precision can be improved. I am not overly concerned by a few iffy disposals, the main thing is he has the physicals and footy prowess. You can see he has the footy ability in his genes from his father who seems to have put him on the straight and narrow in terms of focus as well as off footy stuff.

I actually think he is a bargin at 12 now.

I rate him well above Oakley Nicholls as a prospect and doesn't have the Garlett focus problems while also being a good strong size. I think he can be quite a player at AFL level tbh. If he is available at 12 RFC have to snap him up IMO!

Furthermore, if he is in the centre at times, massive burden comes off Miles and Cotchin trying to get the ball and win it IMO as they become a more cohesive team!

I think Cockatoos' evasiveness, speed, versatility and ball winning ability rally complements our team really well and tbh, he is one of the ingredients we need to really improve our team! Could be the difference whether we get into a premiership window or not IMO honestly.

Fact is he is on the younger side is a further boost to his prospects, potential and capability

So he gets the hard ball, then butchers it with his disposal....Big fan of Tuck were you?

So he gets the hard ball, then butchers it with his disposal....Big fan of Tuck were you?

He seems to be a better kick than Tuck . One of his right foot disposals had deft touch and give on contact. Tuck was very wooden in his kicking, Cockatoo has none of that and is far more natural in his action! Cockatoo possibly a better mark than Tuck but definitely better speed, evasiveness, and leap than Tucky though!

We miss Tuck a little though in the middle, wasn't the best but was strong and useful in his role!

The other thing I liked was Cockatoo seems a little weaker on his left but he wasn't afraid to pull out the left foot and back it in. Cockatoo IMO has a lot of room to improve through his seemingly good attitude!

Last edited:
He seems to be a better kick than Tuck . One of his right foot disposals had deft touch and give on contact. Tuck was very wooden in his kicking, Cockatoo has none of that and is far more natural in his action! Cockatoo possibly a better mark than Tuck but definitely better speed, evasiveness, and leap than Tucky though!

We miss Tuck a little though in the middle, wasn't the best but was strong and useful in his role!

Half his disposals missed their target!

and he was playing for NT....2nd div, far less pressure.

He was playing for the Allies wasn't he against the young All-stars and was his first game back. I think his mark under pressure, explosiveness and evasiveness to me suggests he will handle the pressure when more accustomed to the tempo.

Despite the combine I think it is far to say he is not an elite kick yet. But I think, as the combine showed, at his stage of development, as part of his overall package, it is good enough for me and pick 12 IMO. Like with KB I am sure his field kicking can be improved!

Last edited:

He was playing for the All Stars alongside Heeney and Weller in a pre GF exhibition match. Admittedly the opposition was next year's crop of AIS kids so yeah the pressure wouldn't have been intense.

He was playing for the Allies wasn't he against the young All-stars and was his first game back. I think his mark under pressure, explosiveness and evasiveness to me suggests he will handle the pressure when more accustomed to the tempo.

Despite the combine I think it is far to say he is not an elite kick yet. But I think, as the combine showed, at his stage of development, as part of his overall package, it is good enough for me and pick 12 IMO

I'll go with the people who have seen more than an iffy highlight reel who all seem to have him in the 20s.

I'll go with the people who have seen more than an iffy highlight reel who all seem to have him in the 20s.

You can't cut your nose of despite your face!. His kicking is not elite atm but you do not have to be D Jarman to be a star at AFL level!

IMO you can never deal in absolutes and make the best decisions, there always needs to be balance and a degree of measure in any astute assessment!

Just watched the Nakia cockatoo footage on afl.com.au. No way he gets out of the first round. Speed, power and agility is all there. Love his willingness to take on the tackle and put out the don't argue. Looks like a mix between dusty and danger. Blo@dy hell. Don't envy FJ. Choice between sure thing flanker in duggan, potential inside mid in de goey and potential game breaker in cockatoo. What was his form like last year. Anyone know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the Nakia cockatoo footage on afl.com.au. No way he gets out of the first round. Speed, power and agility is all there. Love his willingness to take on the tackle and put out the don't argue. Looks like a mix between dusty and danger. Blo@dy hell. Don't envy FJ. Choice between sure thing flanker in duggan, potential inside mid in de goey and potential game breaker in cockatoo. What was his form like last year. Anyone know.

Don't forget he has only played 1 game this year and all those players in that game on the AIS team were in the age group below. 6 months can be huge in development terms at that age.

An AA team (excluding Heeney and Weller) from the u/18 would have destroyed the Allies teams, heck Metro or SA or WA on their own would have probably beat the Allies team.

Lol...more shanks than hits
Exactly my point! Highlights the inaccuracy of combine testing. Remember back in 2004 when Tambling beat Deledio in every test...

....well every tigers supporter does :(

However, the kicking test is actually quite good.
"Each player takes six kicks form various distances and angles. He receives the ball from a caller, who then randomly requests a specific kick (20 metres left or right, 30 metres left or right and 40 metres left or right) be made to a target judge.

The player has 25 seconds to complete the six kicks and is allocated between 1 (for a poor kick) and 5 (excellent) points for each kick."

Nakia Cockatoo scored 29/30 which means pretty good kicking skills!

Last edited:
Exactly my point! Highlights the inaccuracy of combine testing. Remember back in 2004 when Tambling beat Deledio in every test...

....well every tigers supporter does :(

However, the kicking test is actually quite good.
"Each player takes six kicks form various distances and angles. He receives the ball from a caller, who then randomly requests a specific kick (20 metres left or right, 30 metres left or right and 40 metres left or right) be made to a target judge
The player has 25 seconds to complete the six kicks and is allocated between 1 (for a poor kick) and 5 (excellent) points for each kick."

Nakia Cockatoo scored 29/30 which means pretty good kicking skills!
I don't believe the kicking test always provides a good reflection. Cam McIntosh was 1 or 2 in kicking test but he is not a great kick. I think you can't beat a good recruiters eye with kicking. Assessing ball drop, how it stands up under intense pressure. I.e you have very little time in AFL. I Don't think kicking is a strength of a cockatoo.

Geez, Cockatoo is impressive.

The problem is if you're a professional recruiter and you've invested 100+ hours into the available players who played all season and you're sure they are safe bets, you've analysed everything about them... there's no chance you'll take an unnecessary risk on a 1-gamer that could cost you your job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back