Mega Thread 2014 Drafts complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
He was certainly up there, but how many clubs would have taken Martin higher than 3?

Watching the last few games of those U18 champs, I thought we should have picked two of Trengove, Martin and Rohan. Scully was thin as a rake (still is) and his kicking was pretty poor. Was bulleting handballs around but didn't scream #1 pick to me. Trengove looked in complete control, Martin was dominating and hitting targets off either foot and Rohan looked capable of anything. So we definitely should've drafted Fyfe and Gunston.

Watching the last few games of those U18 champs, I thought we should have picked two of Trengove, Martin and Rohan. Scully was thin as a rake (still is) and his kicking was pretty poor. Was bulleting handballs around but didn't scream #1 pick to me. Trengove looked in complete control, Martin was dominating and hitting targets off either foot and Rohan looked capable of anything. So we definitely should've drafted Fyfe and Gunston.
Scully was a clearance freak and tackling machine. Sold himself really. Best two way game of any junior midfielder in quite a few years at the time, I reckon.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Scully was a clearance freak and tackling machine. Sold himself really. Best two way game of any junior midfielder in quite a few years at the time, I reckon.

Meh. My impression was a kid who didn't have a frame to stack the weight on and seemed well over-hyped. Was definitely handy around the clearances against other kids and his work in tight by hand was good, but his kicking was honestly shithouse - little dinks sat on leading forwards heads rather than lace out in front. Probably was fairly critical given he was the consensus #1 pick, but he didn't seem better than a dozen other players floating around. He might have been more professional as a youngster and done the hard yards, but plenty of his fellow draftees have overtaken him once they've gotten a few pre-seasons under their belts. Anyway, all academic now.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Scully was over rated because he was athletically so far infront of the other juniors he dominated
But he didn't show great afl skills at any time

His kickin is horrible , it has no penetration and just asks to be spoiled

Trengove looked set to be a star and well Martin was what he was because he was a trouble maker

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I thought Scully looked the goods as a junior.

Superior fitness which translated into leg speed later in games. Had excellent hands inside, and whilst his kicking was average, he would dominate possession and was good for a goal or 2.

Pretty happy he's a B grade tagger now, mind you.

thetank

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Always thought this. Watts was just the best in his his draft class, ahead of Nic Nat and Rich. But, Scully and Trengove were miles in front as top prospects in their draft.

Watts - Niknat was No. 1, but Watts was a Pick 1-2 range anyway.

In any case, everyone knows it's all to do with development. Melbourne would have screwed up Judd and Joel Selwood if they picked them.

thetank

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Scully was over rated because he was athletically so far infront of the other juniors he dominated

This is revisionist.

Scully was the clear No. 1 prospect the entire season. Melbourne would have been a laughing stock had they not taken him 1 or 2.

Also - Dustin Martin would have ended up rubbish had he come to Melbourne, can't say that Melbourne drafted "wrong".

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is revisionist.

Scully was the clear No. 1 prospect the entire season. Melbourne would have been a laughing stock had they not taken him 1 or 2.

Also - Dustin Martin would have ended up rubbish had he come to Melbourne, can't say that Melbourne drafted "wrong".

I think it's widely agreed that none of our picks were outrageously out of order at the time.

Lucas Cook perhaps having raised the most eyebrows.

A combination of bad luck and a terrible football department saw out the results.

I think it's widely agreed that none of our picks were outrageously out of order at the time.

Lucas Cook perhaps having raised the most eyebrows.

A combination of bad luck and a terrible football department saw out the results.
Cook and Gysberts would be the only ones. The rest were fairly consensus. Tapscott for example could have gone top 10.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Enjoyed this from one of the rookie phantom drafters over on the drafting board..

Pick 3 – Melbourne: Paddy McCARTIN, Geelong Falcons (193cm 95kg) old-fashioned full forward.

Plays like: Taylor Walker

To watch Paddy McCartin play football is to be transported back to the days of full strength beer, moustachioed ruckmen and fearful key defenders. McCartin is an old-fashioned full forward in the Lockett and Dunstall mode, with a simple approach to the game; see ball, get ball, kick goal, and if anyone gets in your way, put them in traction. Aggressive at the man and the ball, he will put bums on seats and instantly lay claim to crowd favouritism. Like Brayshaw, to class McCartin as a simple footballer is a long way from the truth. His workrate and leading patterns point to a young man with significant ‘footy smarts’. Whilst he will most likely never be a particularly wide-roaming player, his inspirational attack and infectious personality will bring his teammates into the game.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Enjoyed this from one of the rookie phantom drafters over on the drafting board..

What I would give to have a Lockett or Dunstall playing in our modern era, this is the type of player that is a threat to give bags of 8-10 goals in a game something that we sadly don't see very much anymore.

I'm sold McCartin at FF and Hulk at CHF!

Jarman94

Draftee
Sep 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Should St Kilda pick a KP forward and not take Petracca with thier first draft pick, do Melbourne take Petracca and Brayshaw with picks 2 & 3 or take one of the mids and KP player? What are the views and thoughts out there.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I had a dream where St Kilda took McCartin with pick 1, but instead of taking Petracca, we took Brayshaw and some complete random who was rubbish, so even in my dreams we still screw ourselves over and bewilder everyone.

It's ok mate, Prenderghastly isn't here any more. He's all gone.. You're safe now.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
This is revisionist.

Not revisionist, he was clearly a superior athlete in his junior days but was never a better footballer, Trengove looked a better footballer from game 1

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not revisionist, he was clearly a superior athlete in his junior days but was never a better footballer, Trengove looked a better footballer from game 1

This. Scully dominated his age group, yes. He was also a clear top 2 pick. He wasn't playing against men like Trengove was though, so his small frame didn't get exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back