Mega Thread 2014 Drafts complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't there another list lodgement period after the ND? So blokes might get cut after the ND then nominate for the PSD?
From this, it seems I am right: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-26/key-trade-draft-and-free-agency-dates. Although there is DFA between the ND and the PSD too, so that is another option for picking up a castaway if we want.
OK, so in essence the only reason we would go to the PS Draft is if we wanted to hold out for a potential player who is delisted after the draft (in which case we could probably take them as a DFA anyway, unless they wanted to see whether St Kilda took them. PS Draft seemingly edging closer to redundancy every year.

OK, so in essence the only reason we would go to the PS Draft is if we wanted to hold out for a potential player who is delisted after the draft (in which case we could probably take them as a DFA anyway, unless they wanted to see whether St Kilda took them. PS Draft seemingly edging closer to redundancy every year.
Tutt (as an example) delisted himself. Dogs wanted to keep him and offered him 2 years but he wants to go to Carlton. Dogs did not entertain a deal though in the hope of changing his mind.

As a result he's not eligible for DFA so in order to get to Carlton he must go via the PSD. I'm sure he has the option of going into the ND but isn't forced to.

Plan A - petracca and brayshaw
Plan B - brayshaw and mccartin

We will most likely have another top pick next year and apparently its full of mids. Get another good tall while we can on the proviso petracca goes at no.1

It's interesting
The bulldogs have stocked up on mids and are completely fine there but can't kick or stop a score

Richmond has taken a few key backs / rucks / forwards but is short midfield depth

Collingwood built from the back in their premiership then topped up the midfield

What does that prove
Nothing

Take the best available and hope they compensate any weaknesses

It's interesting
The bulldogs have stocked up on mids and are completely fine there but can't kick or stop a score

Richmond has taken a few key backs / rucks / forwards but is short midfield depth

Collingwood built from the back in their premiership then topped up the midfield

What does that prove
Nothing

Love this. I'd say any method of building a list has been done and repeated; all will probably have failures and success.

Plan A - petracca and brayshaw
Plan B - brayshaw and mccartin

We will most likely have another top pick next year and apparently its full of mids. Get another good tall while we can on the proviso petracca goes at no.1

And I've thought this is the plan for a while now.

And on next year's 1st pick. I hope it's not a high pick. I want us in a position where we can lure a Shiel/Treloar/Hannebry etc. even if that puts us out of the 1st round of the draft.

It's interesting

What does that prove
Nothing

The funny thing is that their key backs, rucks and forwards are s**t outside of Riewoldt and Rance (who I still don't rate highly), their midfield is the only thing good about them and if one of Cotchin, Martin, Deledio go down they struggle massively.

Tutt (as an example) delisted himself. Dogs wanted to keep him and offered him 2 years but he wants to go to Carlton. Dogs did not entertain a deal though in the hope of changing his mind.

As a result he's not eligible for DFA so in order to get to Carlton he must go via the PSD. I'm sure he has the option of going into the ND but isn't forced to.

Given we have pick 2, there would need to be 2 good players in this position for us to pick in the PSD.

Given that I don't believe us or the Saints are interested in Tutt, I don't think there's even 1 player in it at this point.

Given we have pick 2, there would need to be 2 good players in this position for us to pick in the PSD.

Given that I don't believe us or the Saints are interested in Tutt, I don't think there's even 1 player in it at this point.

Saints have already committed to Membrey so they are irrelevant in the PSD, although I don't even think we'll bother with the PSD.

I agree. Just pointing out the other scenario where PSD is in use.

I didn't realise they ended up delisting him.

I have a feeling that the Saints were interested in Sam Frost, and when it became apparent that he may make it to the PSD, Membrey might not reach his preferred destination.

So Sydney did him a favour and delisted him.

Frost was then traded to us at the last moment anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda got word to us that they would take Frost at PSD1 and pick up Membrey as a DFA if we didn't trade for him.
Why would they tell us that, wouldn't it be better for them to take Frost in the draft than make us do a trade?

Fairly interesting article from Chris Pelchen on the AFL website regarding drafting. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-19/no-such-thing-as-a-smokey

The thing that stood out to me the most:

8. "Key position players are a priority over other types of players."
Fiction –
While talented key position players are highly regarded by clubs, they are not prioritised over other players - unless for genuine need. Clubs will target the player considered to provide them with the best return on investment and should this be a key position player, then under normal circumstances, it is simply considered a bonus. A player's ability will not be justified by his height but rather by his performance - despite clubs sometimes appearing to be enticed by key position players, it is rarely exclusive of others.

This confirms for me that Petracca will be a Saint unless StKilda go against convention and decide that McCartin is the best player. The genuine need angle is irrelevant as, like us, they are thin in a lot of areas.

The funny thing is that their key backs, rucks and forwards are s**t outside of Riewoldt and Rance (who I still don't rate highly), their midfield is the only thing good about them and if one of Cotchin, Martin, Deledio go down they struggle massively.

In a round about way they did similar to us

We took Watts, Cook and Traded for Dawes Hogan and Clark and in many ways that has cost us midfield depth ( and that Gysberts morton and co were s**t )

The Tiges took some talls early as well and havent nailed there later picks in the midfield

I think at the end of the day you would just take the player and only fish for needs if your overstocked in one area

Fairly interesting article from Chris Pelchen on the AFL website regarding drafting. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-19/no-such-thing-as-a-smokey

The thing that stood out to me the most:

This confirms for me that Petracca will be a Saint unless StKilda go against convention and decide that McCartin is the best player. The genuine need angle is irrelevant as, like us, they are thin in a lot of areas.

I wouldn't say that, McCartin and Brayshaw both have every right to be the no.1 pick - the media talking Petracca up as a clear no.1 are just looking for a story I think.

I just hope they don't take Brayshaw.

I wouldn't say that, McCartin and Brayshaw both have every right to be the no.1 pick - the media talking Petracca up as a clear no.1 are just looking for a story I think.

I just hope they don't take Brayshaw.

Fair enough. I don't follow it all that closely so am reliant on the draft "experts" in the media and forums and the consensus generally seems to be Petracca. At the moment at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back