2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to see McCartin or Wright being available by the time we get our pick, be nice but hard to see Saints passing on McCartin or Wright, Melbourne needs a replacement for Mitch Clark so you'd think Wright would be the obvious choice, GWS probably need another decent defender so maybe they might let Petracca slip which could be good for us but he'd be hard to pass up even for them. They could get the defender they need via the trade period anyway which would make Petracca all the more appealing.

Wright from all reports is AFL ready so Melbourne would be crazy not to take him if he is available. Oh well we can dream.

I'll throw my two cents in with Wright. What is his set shot like from 55m? Looks to struggle outside of 50m. If he is more of a 45m or less goal kicker than it is a pass for me (as a earlier first rounder). I can see him sliding a bit.
Couldnt be further from reality. 50 to 55 is his ideal distance. Absolutely slots them.

Petracca is the stand out. Just dominating. Think St Kilda are desperate for a forward and if they keep their first pick and not trade it away they will probably use it on McMartin. But they must be thinking long and hard about Petracca. Next to no chance Petracca is available for us. I think Brayshaw is probably the player we look at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Saints are mad if they overlook McMartin for a midfielder.

Petracca is bloody exciting though, and they are likely to be in a decent ladder position to get another good forward in coming drafts.

That said, I would probably lean towards McCartin though if I was them, considering the development lead time on forwards.

Petracca is bloody exciting though, and they are likely to be in a decent ladder position to get another good forward in coming drafts.

That said, I would probably lean towards McCartin though if I was them, considering the development lead time on forwards.

I see both sides to the argument but it looks like the Saints are years away so getting the KPF now will help them more in the long run. They can still get a decent mid with their second rounder.

It seams Brayshaw is a clear number 4 pick behind McCartin, Petracca and Wright. It will be interesting to see the order those three come out.

Interestingly of the games I've seen I think Brayshaw is the most bankable of the 4 to become elite.
But the upside of first 3 is scarey.

Depends I guess what the KPF are looking like next year. They will have another high pick. There is always going to be a mid available, but not always the same caliber of talls.
So assuming we get pick 4... and Wright, McCartin and Petracca are gone.

What tall would we take over selecting Brayshaw?

Interesting that Wright played one of his better games playing as a forward flanker. Perhaps it better utilised his running ability and tank as opposed to playing deep forward and expected to play one out.

Not having a go at you here Jaz but the original tweet was incorrect. Wright doesn't run like a flanker and played as a deep target forward, regardless still had a monster game with 25+ disposals and 16 marks.

Not having a go at you here Jaz but the original tweet was incorrect. Wright doesn't run like a flanker and played as a deep target forward, regardless still had a monster game with 25+ disposals and 16 marks.

Not at all, happy to be corrected. I based it purely off the tweet and the dramatic improvement (from the last few games), and tried to put 2 and 2 together. Makes more sense that he'd play as a deep forward.

Out of interest, how do you see his running ability? He apparently runs a 3sec 20m and 14.4 beep which isn't too bad at all, how does that translate to on-field?

Seems controversial. Reckon Dylan12 will melt down hard at this :p

"FOR the first time in AFL draft history a player will select which club he graduates to — live on television.

The winner of reality television show The Recruit will receive pitches from clubs which want to select him after AFL club recruiters place the crown on one of the final three contestants.

Clubs will vote 3-2-1 in a secret ballot before the winner turns the tables in the AFL-sanctioned draft — and The Recruit’s AFL Category B rookie contract won’t cost his team a draft pick.

After the winner is chosen, all clubs must decide to “draft” or “pass” and those wanting the player will form the pool of clubs he can choose from."

http://bit.ly/1mFUxrk

Seems controversial. Reckon Dylan12 will melt down hard at this

Not at all, just perplexing to me that a guy can make his way onto an AFL list based on games against cops and robbers, 12 a side indigenous game on dirt and then activities against 6 year old girls, paddle boards and whatever other contrived activities they dream up. All the while playing in s**t leagues.

I could certainly understand if they were at a minimum VFL, SANFL, WAFL level players, but I reckon it is pretty insulting to most delisted players and guys at the state league level that would kill for a chance on a rookie list that these "reality stars":rolleyes: competing against little girls can somehow find their way on a list.

Not at all, just perplexing to me that a guy can make his way onto an AFL list based on games against cops and robbers, 12 a side indigenous game on dirt and then activities against 6 year old girls, paddle boards and whatever other contrived activities they dream up. All the while playing in s**t leagues.

I could certainly understand if they were at a minimum VFL, SANFL, WAFL level players, but I reckon it is pretty insulting to most delisted players and guys at the state league level that would kill for a chance on a rookie list that these "reality stars":rolleyes: competing against little girls can somehow find their way on a list.
But those girls were pretty tough!

After a measured start I reckon how it ended would seem you were correct TBD :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back