2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Picks 67, 81, 99
Lost 9 senior listed players.... Brown, McGrath, Raines, Crisp, Lisle, Weardon, Lisle, Maloney, Patfull
Picked up 5..... Beams, Christensen, Dawson, Andrews, Clayton

Who else will we pick up/sign?

You would think I with Patfull out Bourke definitely deserves an upgrade leaving 3 spots. ZOB a chance too although i probably wouldn't at this stage as I see him for cover if on of our kids goes down with a long term injury.

I think we may take 2 delisted FA and only use pick 67 in the draft. I reckon they've got a kid in mind who they think will slide to this pick.

You would think I with Patfull out Bourke definitely deserves an upgrade leaving 3 spots. ZOB a chance too although i probably wouldn't at this stage as I see him for cover if on of our kids goes down with a long term injury.

I think we may take 2 delisted FA and only use pick 67 in the draft. I reckon they've got a kid in mind who they think will slide to this pick.

I think you are spot on with the upgrade of Bourke, 2 DFAs and the 1 live pick at 67.

So 9 players out, 2 in = 7 spots remaining. 2 Academy,1 F/S selection 1 rookie upgrade = 3 live picks. So does that mean the live picks for
Brisbane are 67, 81 and 99? With Clayton being taken in the 8th Rd?

Another possibility I guess is go with 1 live pick and 6 Cat A rookies.

That pick 21 seems to be the draft pick that will not die! It has been rattling around since Jared Brennan went to Gold Coast I think. It has passed through our hands twice, been to GC, GWS and Geelong before lobbing up at St Kilda.

Pick 21 is cursed. :(

But it comes with a free frogurt!! :)

The frogurt is also cursed. :(

So 9 players out, 2 in = 7 spots remaining. 2 Academy,1 F/S selection 1 rookie upgrade = 3 live picks. So does that mean the live picks for
Brisbane are 67, 81 and 99? With Clayton being taken in the 8th Rd?

Another possibility I guess is go with 1 live pick and 6 Cat A rookies.

I think that will be the go. Looks like Burke and O'brien may be elevated. Swann only referred to pick 67 being live whilst on 3AW tonight.

That pick 21 seems to be the draft pick that will not die! It has been rattling around since Jared Brennan went to Gold Coast I think. It has passed through our hands twice, been to GC, GWS and Geelong before lobbing up at St Kilda.

Pick 21 is cursed. :(

But it comes with a free frogurt!! :)

The frogurt is also cursed. :(

Do you get a choice of topping?

Those feeling flat about not having an early draft picks, take heart in the fact that we've filled two specific needs in selecting Dawson and Clayton.

The only gap I can see is an athletic key back and someone like Oscar McDonald may still be around at 67.

Those feeling flat about not having an early draft picks, take heart in the fact that we've filled two specific needs in selecting Dawson and Clayton.

The only gap I can see is an athletic key back and someone like Oscar McDonald may still be around at 67.

We already took big Harris too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So after compo picks and everything, our Academy bargains got just a little bit better :p

Richmond bid 31 on Dawson, we get him at 44.

North bid 34 on Andrews, we get him at 63.

Cumulative draft discount of 42 places. :D

Last edited:
So after compo picks and everything, our Academy bargains got just a little bit better :p

Richmond bid 31 on Dawson, we get him at 44.

North bid 40 on Andrews, we get him at 63.

Cumulative draft discount of 36 places. :D

Thank you for shopping at the Academy.

We value your custom and hope to see you again.

Not sure if this has been discussed but, in Leppa's interview on the Lions website he said that the recruiting team valued Dawson at around the pick 16 mark and Andrews in the 20's.
Pretty certain he said some clubs rated the boys that highly. Either way it doesn't matter. We got em:)

Think there are 4 spots to fill on the main list (but we can run with 38 players and upgrade during the year).

2 definitely need to be used (1 can be Clayton as the last pick).

With all the F/S and Academy players already taken, pick 67 is actually the 59th live pick this year :thumbsu:

Think there are 4 spots to fill on the main list (but we can run with 38 players and upgrade during the year).

2 definitely need to be used (1 can be Clayton as the last pick).

With all the F/S and Academy players already taken, pick 67 is actually the 59th live pick this year :thumbsu:

Woohoo!

Will be watching the draft with bated breath as per usual....just waiting an hour or so I guess for our first pick. :eek:

Woohoo!

Will be watching the draft with bated breath as per usual....just waiting an hour or so I guess for our first pick. :eek:

Latest Lions Fancast suggested that Bourke is just about a lock to be upgraded to the senior list; with pick #67 a "live" pick for a player.

Schwab said we'd likely run with 38 or 39 players next year with an option for more if they see fit.

Potentially a delisted free agent :footy:

Taylor Hunt is an interesting proposition; fairly young (24 next month).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back