2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Not many pure lockdown small defenders though. I suspect the job description now includes "must be able to rebound". In some respects, the most defensive minded "smalls" are now best suited to the forward line where forward half pressure is so vital.

Not to say there are none (Nick Smith etc) but you need to be virtually elite at your primary skill if, as a small, you rely on your ability to shut down an opponent.

Not many pure lockdown small defenders though. I suspect the job description now includes "must be able to rebound". In some respects, the most defensive minded "smalls" are now best suited to the forward line where forward half pressure is so vital.

Not to say there are none (Nick Smith etc) but you need to be virtually elite at your primary skill if, as a small, you rely on your ability to shut down an opponent.

You're right. There's a couple players worth looking at in the later rounds who'd be worth looking at with pick 67.

We need another Yeo. One who won't leave though.

We have to get Adam Saad. This guy is going to be a quality AFL player and is a joint best and fairest winner for Coberg, VFL side at the age of 20.

AFL Bio:
Adam Saad
Height: 178cm
Weight: 78kg
Pos: Defender

Inside Word:
The lightning-fast forward asked to transition from attack into defence this season in an attempt to find more of the ball and it proved an inspired move. Saad (no relation to former St Kilda small forward Ahmed) tied for Coburg's best and fairest and was named in the VFL team of the year in the back pocket. He's a great mark for his size and has a damaging left foot. Saad's extremely agile and very well balanced

Video:
1). http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=699093

2). 2014 Jim Sullivan Best and Fairest: Daniel Venditti & Adam Saad (No. 1 jumper)

Last edited:
i think we should be in the market for another tall defender too, mature age maybe in the rookie draft. Also every year there has been a highly rated junior which has slid past pick 70, often to the preseason/rookie draft. Eli templeton, jonno marsh, sam coloquhan I like our odds of striking gold here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sean Tighe and Tyler Chalwell still available?

I read that as Saul Tighe for a second... Frack!

tigh12.jpg

folks thorp has been appointed coach of Devonport down here in Tassie , he has returned from SA where i don't believe he set the world on fire last season , don't know if he had lnjuries

I read that as Saul Tighe for a second... Frack!

tigh12.jpg
Hard at it and in Galactica's leadership group but I hear he has drinking problems and is a pretty divisive figure around the club. Also reported to hang around pretty exclusively lately with another 4 players. To much like Go Home 5 for my liking.

folks thorp has been appointed coach of Devonport down here in Tassie , he has returned from SA where i don't believe he set the world on fire last season , don't know if he had lnjuries

Injured his shoulder and only played 9 games but did SFA when not injured.

Just 9 live picks to go in the BF Phantom Draft before Quigley selects for Brisbane at 67.
With few opportunities and such a late first selection this year, it will be interesting to see whether Mr. Q pulls one out of left field - he usually does (Div 2 bolter on the cards ??????).

Out of interest, there have been no major surprises to date (maybe where taken, but not who). If the real thing plays out similarly, there may still be a few good options available to Brisbane's Recruiting team.

From my "board", I still have available:
Med Defender - Daniel Capiron
(Short) Tall Defender - Hugh Beasley (Patfull type replacement ??)
Sm/Med Defender - Jason Castagna (I think he would supply the sort of run off Half Back that suits Leppa's game plan)
Mids:
Jordan Cunico (outside)
Matt Goodyear (inside)
Billy Gowers (Lions connection - son of Andy)

(Of course, all could go in the 9 picks left before 67).

Interestingly, Matt Hammelmann not yet taken.........

Last edited:
Jay Clark's latest effort at a mock draft.
Which includes some poor comments re. Garlett:
Rising up the order with a bullet. Can play inside or outside, has pace and can kick cleanly on either side. Some rate his on-field side better than Pickett and if Suns want him they could pull trigger at eight. Cousin of drug addict and ex-Hawk Dayle Garlett.
Not sure why that is relevant but anyway... I can't see durdin and wright slipping that far.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back