2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the draft - there are so many talented kids that even at the end,you can see a potential AFL gun.

Second last pick used (81), and we get an 189cm All Australian that averaged 26 touches at 85%!

Could McGuiness be a bit of a Drummond type?

Not athletically gifted but just a calm and composed hand down back who uses it well and makes good decisions?

No. He stepped in and played the KK role for tasmania and he was nowhere near KKs quality. He likes to get a lot of the ball and works to receive it but I struggle to see him doing that at afl level. His kicking is light years from drummonds.

Watts is a more interesting prospect for me. Needs to work a bit on his kicking but I think he will get there and his vision seems really good. Mobility is interesting as well.

McGrath has really good agility but he needs to get more of it and I struggle to see him getting a spot in the 22.

Was our draft strategy to pick the absolute skinniest kids that will take 5 years to be AFL ready?
Good grief your posting is negative and terrible. Now I know why you have so much trouble with the clique.

You keep at it though slugger. You'll get there eventually.

No. He stepped in and played the KK role for tasmania and he was nowhere near KKs quality. He likes to get a lot of the ball and works to receive it but I struggle to see him doing that at afl level. His kicking is light years from drummonds.

Watts is a more interesting prospect for me. Needs to work a bit on his kicking but I think he will get there and his vision seems really good. Mobility is interesting as well.

McGrath has really good agility but he needs to get more of it and I struggle to see him getting a spot in the 22.
With Watts do you see him having the potential to reach a suitable weight for a KPP? Could the Lions be thinking outside of the box and play him as a midfielder/winger or mobile flanker? Personally I wouldn't have drafted him to be a KPP just doesn't have the body for it.

It strikes me that we already got our main presents before Christmas this year and then today we got some good stocking fillers. Who knows though, perhaps one of these kids is that $5 scratchie from your old uncle that wins a thousand bucks.

Last year was very different. We opened our big presents on the day itself and each one was an exciting surprise.

Different year, different strategy but in the end, if each strategy takes us forward we can be happy.

We can. It's not automatic, we can now choose which, if any, we want to prelist. We also have our Qld zone selections if there's any non-academy boys that look interesting, plus an early rookie draft pick.
Just as a reminder, these were our academy nominees this year:

Harris Andrews (Aspley Hornets/Wilston Grange)
Darcy Cameron-Reeves (Redlands/Morningside)
Liam Dawson (Aspley Hornets/Wilston Grange)
Matthew Hammelmann (Redlands/Morningside)
Daniel Henderson (Maroochydore)
William Kristelly (Maroochydore)
Cameron Stevenson (Aspley/ University of Queensland)
Matthew Ubergang (Redlands/ Western Magpies)

Good grief your posting is negative and terrible. Now I know why you have so much trouble with the clique.

You keep at it though slugger. You'll get there eventually.
If you don't like what I write then don't ******* read it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't swear at me! I have a very delicate disposition! :cry:
I like disposition.
contortionist.jpg

Can't hold a candle to Fergus.
haha went to school with Ferg. was a gun at APS school level, was really unlucky with injury, broke his leg twice.. also has the unenviable distinction to be the one who put the knee into a backtracking Leppa and begin the end of his career.. good bloke though..

Wow, with the Phil Hughes incident and me going out, I had completely forgot the draft was on at all.
AFL sent the draft up to the Gold Coast to show of in a developing market and get some publicity, with the tragic events around Phillip Hughes 99% of the population didn't give a rats arse about the AFL draft. Once again 2014 has turned into a PR nightmare for the AFL, the once well oiled publicity machine that didn't miss a beat or chance to push itself has again broken down

AFL sent the draft up to the Gold Coast to show of in a developing market and get some publicity, with the tragic events around Phillip Hughes 99% of the population didn't give a rats arse about the AFL draft. Once again 2014 has turned into a PR nightmare for the AFL, the once well oiled publicity machine that didn't miss a beat or chance to push itself has again broken down

OMG o_O

Did you do a survey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back