2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

As I've said previously, when talking about players height measure 1 or 2 cm between your thumb and forefinger and then ask yourself if that's going to make much of a difference. Style of play, footy nous, work ethic, skill, composure and feel for the game are a far greater asset than a players height. I'm not saying it's irrelevant - obviously Dayne Zorko's never going to hold down CHB (although Campbell Brown did for at least one season with the Hawks) - but it goes hand in hand with other qualities.

I know that wasn't your assertion cotter101 in your post so this isn't a crack on you, but there's there seems to be a fixation with some on how high a guy stands, especially with KP players. "Our own" Patfull should be evidence that it's not the be-all and end-all. Likewise the assertion that a bloke can't play FF if they're under 6'4".

Last edited:
Style of play, footy nous, work ethic, skill, composure and feel for the game are a far greater asset than a players height. I'm not saying it's irrelevant - obviously Dayne Zorko's never going to hold down CHB (although Campbell Brown did for at least one season with the Hawks) - but it goes hand in hand with other qualities.

This post deserves quoting peeps. "Style of play, footy nous, work ethic, skill, composure" as the belg wisely says. Please consider.

As I've said previously, when talking about players height measure 1 or 2 cm between your thumb and forefinger and then ask yourself if that's going to make much of a difference. Style of play, footy nous, work ethic, skill, composure and feel for the game are a far greater asset than a players height. I'm not saying it's irrelevant - obviously Dayne Zorko's never going to hold down CHB (although Campbell Brown did for at least one season with the Hawks) - but it goes hand in hand with other qualities.

I know that wasn't your assertion cotter101 in your post so this isn't a crack on you, but there's there seems to be a fixation with some on how high a guy stands, especially with KP players. "Our own" Patfull should be evidence that it's not the be-all and end-all. Likewise the assertion that a bloke can't play FF if they're under 6'4".

Good post.

Height as a KPP is certainly overrated. Guys like Patfull(190cm), Gibson(189cm), Bradshaw, Taylor Walker(192cm), Fev(191cm), Roughead(192cm), McPharlin(192cm), Pavlich(191cm), May(190cm), Thompson(193cm), Schulz(193cm), Riewoldt and Darling(191cm) are/were all very good KPD's/KPF's. Height is clearly not everything in the grand scheme of things.

I think the smaller(I know, it's only marginal) KPP's are actually better overall. They may or may not provide the some brute strength or contested marking ability as guys like Hawkins but they are generally better at ground level, offer a bit more rebound and defensive pressure off the ball and they can also play on the medium sized forwards/defenders too. Bit more versatile, which is a big advantage nowadays.

Standing reach height would be an interesting one to measure and would provide a bit more of a guide when combined with pace and running vertical jumps. At the end of the day you don't spoil or mark the ball with the top of your head. Some people have much longer or shorter arms than others although I guess they would measure wingspan at the combine (just not published) as well as hand sizes. I wonder why combine results aren't published in full by the AFL? NFL do it and I don't see any particular reason why they don't.

As far as measurements go those would be the ones that would have the most bearing on ability to play back or forward, but at the end of the day it will come down to smarts most of the time. Physical attributes are handy but they aren't the be all end all.

Standing reach height would be an interesting one to measure and would provide a bit more of a guide when combined with pace and running vertical jumps. At the end of the day you don't spoil or mark the ball with the top of your head. Some people have much longer or shorter arms than others although I guess they would measure wingspan at the combine (just not published) as well as hand sizes. I wonder why combine results aren't published in full by the AFL? NFL do it and I don't see any particular reason why they don't.

As far as measurements go those would be the ones that would have the most bearing on ability to play back or forward, but at the end of the day it will come down to smarts most of the time. Physical attributes are handy but they aren't the be all end all.
Never understood the lack of information that comes from the combine and draft

Just wondering, what's the reason/strategy behind passing Rds and then taking players at later rounds? Hammelmann in round 9 for example?

We didn't ever technically pass. Hammelmann was a priority academy selection who we nominated prior to the rookie draft. These players get officially allocated against your final rookie picks.

Hey guys, sorry to intrude

Just thought id come in and say good stuff picking up Beasley, i know the kid personally and can tell you he comes from a fantastic family and he is a great kid. Very hard worker and has the drive to be successful. I hope he turns out well for you, will be keeping a very close eye on him this year.

Hey guys, sorry to intrude

Just thought id come in and say good stuff picking up Beasley, i know the kid personally and can tell you he comes from a fantastic family and he is a great kid. Very hard worker and has the drive to be successful. I hope he turns out well for you, will be keeping a very close eye on him this year.
How come you get 20 likes but I got 4?

#rigged

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im very good mates with his older brother, Tom. I spoke to Tom yesterday and he told me Hugh is very, very excited, he reckons it was a bit of a whirlwind experience, basically as soon as he got drafted he was on the plane to meet the team in noosa!

Im very good mates with his older brother, Tom. I spoke to Tom yesterday and he told me Hugh is very, very excited, he reckons it was a bit of a whirlwind experience, basically as soon as he got drafted he was on the plane to meet the team in noosa!
That is fantastic, can't wait to see him on the field :)

He's a good size for a lad and has a little bit of niggle too. Looks like a great pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back