2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hendo would have stayed if it wasn't for Fev. Hendo and Clark would have been a solid forward line if we decided to give Clark a pay rise and we wouldn't need to be recruiting talls with our first pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Hendo wasnt average they wouldnt have chased Fev. He is not a 1st round quality

Clark didnt deserve a pay rise which the demons offered... play one good season as ruck

We certainly needed the talls, but our draft policy of taking them early has failed.

Need mids...we will have a better chance getting elite players in...mids can play small forward, mid, small defender.

Talls need to be exceptional if we use 1st round picks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hendo would have stayed if it wasn't for Fev. Hendo and Clark would have been a solid forward line if we decided to give Clark a pay rise and we wouldn't need to be recruiting talls with our first pick.

Sliding doors.

Hendo might have stayed and done 3ACL's and Clark mightn't have had so many foot injuries and been a star....or not....or both .....or neither.

We can only play with the cards we've been dealt and there's no point whatsoever in dreaming about hypotheticals,

If Hendo wasnt average they wouldnt have chased Fev. He is not a 1st round quality

Hendo had just completed his second year, so saying he was average for a KPF is a tad unfair. I've actually been impressed with his development. Sure he isn't an out and out A grader, but he's still pretty decent. Unfortunately first rounders aren't necessarily comparable from one year to the next depending on the quality and depth.

Clark didnt deserve a pay rise which the demons offered... play one good season as ruck

We certainly needed the talls, but our draft policy of taking them early has failed.

Need mids...we will have a better chance getting elite players in...mids can play small forward, mid, small defender.

u wot.

Hendo was in his third year if i remember correctly and showed plenty of promise as a forward and defender. He knew he wouldn't get any games if Fev joined so he asked to leave, you can't blame him. It's laughable that you think he's not first round quality.

Clark also showed so much potential as a forward in his last year with us, especially when Brown went down and he became our number one target. He deserved a pay rise since he showed that he can become A grade in two positions, although he isn't worth what the Demons offered him, it was 200+ more than what Freo were offering? I'd still offer what he was asking originally from us (450K?)

I'd usually say midfielders only first but we're in desperate need for a tall. This year's group has a few promising types with different strengths and weaknesses in the top ten so i'm hoping we can grab one and focus on other needs later in the draft.

Sliding doors.

Hendo might have stayed and done 3ACL's and Clark mightn't have had so many foot injuries and been a star....or not....or both .....or neither.

We can only play with the cards we've been dealt and there's no point whatsoever in dreaming about hypotheticals,

I know where you're going but i'm just saying that we just continue drafting best available - even if it's a forward because we have had good success in drafting those types.

I am over talk of us chasing a key forward with our early picks, we need to address lack of speed in the midfield. We could quite possibly have the slowest midfield in the comp. Rockliff, Redden, Moloney, Lester, Aish & Rich ( who isn't the quickest but breaks the lines with is penetrating kicks ) are all ball winners but slow. Our only quick mid would be Zorko. If Yeo & Docherty were still at the club I think it would of helped us release Hanley into the middle this season. Ideally we get pick 2 or 3 and get the gun we need or we do what Melbourne did this year, but to a better extent.

Wasn't Hendo just offered up as trade bait for Fev without his knowledge?

That seemed to be what happened to both Bradshaw and Riska.

I think there are a few urban myths surrounding Hendo/ Bradshaw/ Riska being "thrown out on the streets" and the Club generally selling it's soul, all in the name of getting Fev.

I thought the facts were:-

Hendo readily agreed to (and maybe even volunteered to ) go to Carlton as part of the Fev deal.

Bradshaw, as was his wont and not for the first time, played a fairly ruthless game of brinksmanship with the club in what he wanted by way of contract renewal going into 2010 and beyond. He wanted minimum 2 years + loads of dough. Club offered 1 year (and not so many loads of dough) + performance based option thereafter. Moreover Club (us), had formulated that position, based on the belief that Bradshaw's knees and general health made him a risky proposition going forward. Bradshaw got offered truckloads of dough by Sydney and a 2(3?) year contract.

Brisbane said "good luck" and off he went..........Bradshaw's subsequent inability to play any more than 7 (I think) games for the $wans, in my view, fully vindicated our stance at the time. It's been said before (but what the hell, let's say it again)......we actually got much better value for money out of Fev than $ydney got out of Bradshaw.

Riska......wasn't it the worst kept secret in footy that he had been offered $$$$ by the $uns in 2009 to defect to them in 2010?

Well, I thought so anyway and I thought furthermore that at our B&F dinner in 2009, (that he was awarded the Club B&F), it was pretty much accepted and acknowledged that he was off to the Suns for an offer he couldn't refuse and that we couldn't match and good luck and no hard feelings.

That's what I thought anyway.

The BF draft watchers seem to think that this year's crop of mids is pretty weak, particularly at the top end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Berger left? Henderson couldnt be traded out quick enough. Spllandermann (delist), wood (trade), Longer (poor selection considering ruck depth at the time)

I'd use that about an argument on a combination of "don't have a bad drafting team" and "don't draft rucks early". Henderson is the only KPF there, was a relatively later pick IIRC (teens?), and has basically ended up as a KPD.

u wot.

Hendo was in his third year if i remember correctly and showed plenty of promise as a forward and defender. He knew he wouldn't get any games if Fev joined so he asked to leave, you can't blame him. It's laughable that you think he's not first round quality.

Clark also showed so much potential as a forward in his last year with us, especially when Brown went down and he became our number one target. He deserved a pay rise since he showed that he can become A grade in two positions, although he isn't worth what the Demons offered him, it was 200+ more than what Freo were offering? I'd still offer what he was asking originally from us (450K?)

I'd usually say midfielders only first but we're in desperate need for a tall. This year's group has a few promising types with different strengths and weaknesses in the top ten so i'm hoping we can grab one and focus on other needs later in the draft.

Weren't the figures something like Melbourne offering $800k, Freo offering $600k and us not being able to match either because we were overpaying the likes of Brennan, Hooper, etc, thanks to Gubby's salary cap rogering? Too hard to look it up on an iPad, but the impression I got was that he wan't even considering our offers because Freo's was so much better plus going home.

Hilariously part of the reason Hendo suggested being part of the trade was so he could be a KPF at Carlton, because if he'd been ok with a KPD role he could've stayed here - we'd played him there a bit already. And he ended up being a KPD there... I think he was worth where we drafted him, but he's never going to be a true KPF and so isn't exactly a solution to our current woes. He'd be roughly equivalent to what we get from moving Merrett forward.

Wasn't Hendo just offered up as trade bait for Fev without his knowledge?

That seemed to be what happened to both Bradshaw and Riska.

Nope, Hendo volunteered to go after Riska knocked back Carlton because they wanted to re-sign him to a longer deal as part of changing clubs. Suspicious given the Suns' contract one year later. :)

You can build a decent side while not using your first couple of picks all that well. Look at Freo and Sydney. But they are both much better run off the field than our club is.

I am over talk of us chasing a key forward with our early picks, we need to address lack of speed in the midfield. We could quite possibly have the slowest midfield in the comp. Rockliff, Redden, Moloney, Lester, Aish & Rich ( who isn't the quickest but breaks the lines with is penetrating kicks ) are all ball winners but slow. Our only quick mid would be Zorko. If Yeo & Docherty were still at the club I think it would of helped us release Hanley into the middle this season. Ideally we get pick 2 or 3 and get the gun we need or we do what Melbourne did this year, but to a better extent.
We have Zorko, Green, Mayes, Hanley, Beams and Taylor in the middle or on the wings at times. Taylor will be there more and more often. I think Lester is genuinely slow, but the others you listed aren't particularly slow, they just aren't line breaking speedsters.
Hawthorn's main onballers are Lewis, Hodge, Shiels, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Sewell. Probably slower than our mids.
It's their guys on the outside who are quick (Rioli, Puopolo, Smith, Hill), but I reckon their kicking ability makes them move the ball quicker too. We need to give our midfield someone to kick it to up forward this draft.

The top end talent in this years draft are KPP. I can understand people's sentiments in regard to taking mids but as others have stated it isn't a strong draft in this area. I'm more in the McCartin camp as he is a true KPF, especially full forward. Hammelman in the later rounds and we'll have depth in the KPF area be it awhile prior to coming to fruition.

We do need a lot in most areas and can understand others point of view. KPF this year and mids after that.

We have McGuane or Paine as a 3rd tall, Paperone up the ground, Staker or Close as a roaming CHF, West/Leuy as a resting ruck, Freeman who knows- lots of options. The only true no. 1 KPF we have who is young is probably Jordan Lisle. We need a full forward to kick goals and provide a focal point in a few years. I'd like a skilled HBF, inside mid or speedster too, but the KPF is clearly the no. 1 priority IMO.

Weren't the figures something like Melbourne offering $800k, Freo offering $600k and us not being able to match either because we were overpaying the likes of Brennan, Hooper, etc, thanks to Gubby's salary cap rogering? Too hard to look it up on an iPad, but the impression I got was that he wan't even considering our offers because Freo's was so much better plus going home.

Hilariously part of the reason Hendo suggested being part of the trade was so he could be a KPF at Carlton, because if he'd been ok with a KPD role he could've stayed here - we'd played him there a bit already. And he ended up being a KPD there... I think he was worth where we drafted him, but he's never going to be a true KPF and so isn't exactly a solution to our current woes. He'd be roughly equivalent to what we get from moving Merrett forward.

Nope, Hendo volunteered to go after Riska knocked back Carlton because they wanted to re-sign him to a longer deal as part of changing clubs. Suspicious given the Suns' contract one year later. :)
Those figures do sound right. Wasn't Clark originally asking 500 k from us to stay and we didn't pay because "we only gave that kind of money for performance and not potential"? Also wasn't aware we were overpaying for Hooper. Any ideas how much ?

Those figures do sound right. Wasn't Clark originally asking 500 k from us to stay and we didn't pay because "we only gave that kind of money for performance and not potential"? Also wasn't aware we were overpaying for Hooper. Any ideas how much ?

Didnt Hooper go to the hawks prior to Clark leaving???? Not sure he was a factor at all!

Sounds a bit stupid when you only pay for performance and not potential and then we over pay Hooper. Clark was a good player bordering on very good and Melbourne got to see some of his potential before he retired.

Well if it makes you feel better I think we are paying Raines on "Potential" for him not to fall over and not shank kicks :p

Just to be clear guys this year is far and away the weakest I have seen for small / medium types and one of the deapest for KPs. The key positions are not at the same level as Boyd, Hogan, Daniher but there are quite a few at the level below. If we were ever going to load up on KPs this is the year as there is very little in the way of smalls to tempt us away.

On pace I think our current group doesn't have terrible pace I think they just lack the running ability to make full use of what they have.

Just to be clear guys this year is far and away the weakest I have seen for small / medium types and one of the deapest for KPs. The key positions are not at the same level as Boyd, Hogan, Daniher but there are quite a few at the level below. If we were ever going to load up on KPs this is the year as there is very little in the way of smalls to tempt us away.

On pace I think our current group doesn't have terrible pace I think they just lack the running ability to make full use of what they have.

Who are the top Midfielders worth having a look over the KPP's? Personally I hope we can somehow get a priority pick so we can get a mid and a tall. Might be wishful thinking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back