2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I've heard some talk some of those that do mock drafts are involved in club recruiting. Id take that with a grain of salt but ya never know. I know if I was a recruiter I would be trying to get as many opinions as possible as everyone has bias towards certain play styles and such
I personally don't think that is true.

A handful of mock drafters have been hired by clubs over the years. You can usually tell because they generally stop putting up mock drafts/contributing as much.

Just watched the recruit. My god Waylon Mason has the potential to be the most exciting player in the AFL. I hope he gets it together be amazing to watch him running around out there no matter who he plays for.

Waylen Manson was considered by many to be a top 10 pick in the 2011 draft. His lack of professionalism and fitness saw him go undrafted and unrookied.

That should have been the wake up call but it appears it wasn't.

Would love to see him make it but it is the longest of long shots.

Waylen Manson was considered by many to be a top 10 pick in the 2011 draft. His lack of professionalism and fitness saw him go undrafted and unrookied.

That should have been the wake up call but it appears it wasn't.

Would love to see him make it but it is the longest of long shots.

still hasnt improved those 2 areas. finished last in that run with the 10kg brick, and he "plays football for the chicks"
hes a lost cause imo

still hasnt improved those 2 areas. finished last in that run with the 10kg brick, and he "plays football for the chicks"
hes a lost cause imo
I've seen that thrown around a lot and I didn't get that impression at all. From what I gathered he said he attracts women by being good at football not he plays footy to get women. Can't really expect him to improve his fitness still living where he is. I think the fact he is even sticking the show out after being unable to spend more than two days in Melbourne the first time he came is a huge improvement. Remember Rahn Hooper got homesick at Brisbane and he was from Ipswich. The indigenous players face a lot more challenges than we know when trying to forge afl careers. I'd be more enclined to give him a shot and put a good support base around him. What are ya gonna lose especially seeing as they only take up a rookie selection. If it works out he'd be great addition to any team. Also really like the look of that quick queenslander from aspley. He looks a real class player, Michael someone I think his name was. I'd put money on him to win it.

Manson would be the dumbest football player if he ever makes it... he makes Fev look a genius. Openly admits he wanted to quit after the first challenge and also that he puts effort in for the girls if they are watching... you don't say that stuff if you want to win a competition like this.

Manson would be the dumbest football player if he ever makes it... he makes Fev look a genius. Openly admits he wanted to quit after the first challenge and also that he puts effort in for the girls if they are watching... you don't say that stuff if you want to win a competition like this.
Like you've never tried harder at something because a hot girl is watching you. Geese all this negativity towards him I have no idea where it came from. Plus thinking about quitting and actually quitting are two different things. He didn't quit all it showed to me is he needs support to make it. If brisbane thinks it can provide adequate support for him I'd be pumped to give him a shot. Then again I do have a soft spot for people like him, I think everyone deserves a second chance. And it kinda irks me I haven't read one positive thing about him not only on this board and website but anywhere!!! He just seems like a pretty normal bloke to me, who's never had to work hard before.

I personally don't think that is true.

Hell, I watch a fair bit of junior football and know a couple scouts and a recruiter. We talk about potential draftees as a topic of interest, but at the end of the day, I hardly think they take notice of my opinion when the assess players. They back themselves in, and I think it generally pays off.

Although I do imagine bias towards playing styles would come in somewhere.

The only person I could almost by as a scout/recruiter on here would be Quigley. I don't always agree with a lot of his overall rating of the players, but the amount of work he puts in is second to none.

Hey man love your work
Just wondering if you have seen Jack hayes play (Nicks Brother) Have been reading he is really pushing up into the midfield
just curious what kinda draft range you think he will go and and would he be a good fit at lions

He openly admitted to only trying when girls are watching, more so he runs to the part of the ground where they are to make sure they see him. To even come close to playing 1 game of AFL you need hard work, dedication and some sort of professionalism. He has none of it.

I dont think he actually wants an AFL career as much as some blokes do. As a club, I wouldnt touch him unless he went and played a year or two of senior footy in a state league away from home.

You guys need to remember you're seeing this all through the prism of a "reality" TV show. He could have talked for an hour on the importance of the forward press in the modern game, the controversial interpretations of the holding the ball rule, and the need for a better video review system but the TV producers chose to run the throw-away line on playing where the girls are because that's the portrayal they want to give of him, and that's the bit that would make interesting TV.

You can't make any determination about his personality through the prism of a TV show, other than he's surprisingly honest. The proof will be in the pudding - if he improves his fitness and acts as a professional throughout the show, we'll probably only see it portrayed as a slow improvement to give us all a "story".

I'm not saying he's not going to flame out because he won't knuckle down, I'm just pointing out that anything you see on the show has been filtered through what the producers want us to think about particular participants and how they're going to manage their storyline across the show's run.

Geese all this negativity towards him I have no idea where it came from.

Have a cone and calm down Billy. ;) I thought my post above gave some insight. Was a huge talent in 2011 and plenty of mock drafts here featured him high. He missed out for several issues and hasnt seemed to do much to address them since.

He's a likeable kid and I'd love to see him make it but wasted talent can be frustrating to see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't watched the TV show but I'd have thought he was a bloke who needed to prove his dedication to a footy career, given that was a major reason why he's gone undrafted so far.

Definitely agree that reality TV distorts perceptions but, unlike most reality "stars", we've actually got some background on Manson so it isn't like this TV show is the only insight into him as a footballer and as a person.

Have a cone and calm down Billy. ;) I thought my post above gave some insight. Was a huge talent in 2011 and plenty of mock drafts here featured him high. He missed out for several issues and hasnt seemed to do much to address them since.

He's a likeable kid and I'd love to see him make it but wasted talent can be frustrating to see.
I'm so sick it's been like 4 days :(

Plus TV producers love the narrative of "the other". They know that their audience is going to be a majority white male 18-35 and they will play up to perceived stereotypes that audience has so they don't disturb their world view and turn them off the show. Mainstream Australia has no idea of what it is really like for people in remote indigenous communities and it's not their job to shake up what we think we know and tell us different.

These communities are so remote that they have a completely different culture and this is reflected in personalities that are often "foreign" to what would be considered the social norm in the highly homogenized and bland settled areas of coastal Australia. The producers play on our institutionalised racism and it is something we should rise above.

Judge Waylen on his actions on the show, not what he says - I can assure you that he has relatively little experience with television to even care about how he is portrayed on it and a show looking to manufacture drama will take advantage of that.

The one that stuck in my mind was the gay guy in the very first Big Brother - the show was cut and advertised such that he was hugely manipulative and playing people off against each other, but every interview with housemates and even with him after the fact showed that that was purely producer-driven to make a story and increase viewership.

I've seen that thrown around a lot and I didn't get that impression at all. From what I gathered he said he attracts women by being good at football not he plays footy to get women. Can't really expect him to improve his fitness still living where he is. I think the fact he is even sticking the show out after being unable to spend more than two days in Melbourne the first time he came is a huge improvement. Remember Rahn Hooper got homesick at Brisbane and he was from Ipswich. The indigenous players face a lot more challenges than we know when trying to forge afl careers. I'd be more enclined to give him a shot and put a good support base around him. What are ya gonna lose especially seeing as they only take up a rookie selection. If it works out he'd be great addition to any team. Also really like the look of that quick queenslander from aspley. He looks a real class player, Michael someone I think his name was. I'd put money on him to win it.
I think youll find if you re-watch it he says "thats why I play football, to get the chicks"

There are "script writing" courses for "reality TV". The courses are based around using 10 sec grabs out of hours of shooting to develop the characters the producer wants to develop. Mason's 9 words that have been highlighted could have been a throw away line after he thought the interview was over.

Hey man love your work
Just wondering if you have seen Jack hayes play (Nicks Brother) Have been reading he is really pushing up into the midfield
just curious what kinda draft range you think he will go and and would he be a good fit at lions

Living in Melbourne I've only seen a bit of him. He has a few similar skills that his brother Nick possesses and will probably be developed the same way as Nick has been, in the sense that he is a clever, smart, leading strong marking half forward in the lower levels but has showed promise as a midfielder and will be developed as one at the next level. Needs to bulk up though. Really liked what little I have seen of him and has some good wraps from coaches. Comes across as a team orientated young man, who will get the best out of himself.

I think he'll probably go somewhere between 35-55. I'd like to have him at the lions but I can't see us getting him with the amount of likely academy players we will be selecting.

I am wary of over rating Academy Players against the rest of the draft. If line ball - yep academy for me but it's a worry.

I know we tend to, but looking at the results last year the club seems to have a better idea of values.

I guess actual recruiters have skin in the game on rating Academy kids, whereas my mindset is presently best served by assuming Hammelmann is a lock for 80+ goals per season. I'm sure we wouldn't systematically over-rate them as a club.

I always personally find everyones rating of the academy players interesting. Everyone seems to have the same opinion on ll the players. Hammellman seems pretty highly rated by a lot on here, whereas I can't buy into the hype. I do however need to see him actually playing in his right position for more than one quarter though. Played defence when I seen him.

Keays is looking bloody good though. Can't wait to see more of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back