2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...-forward-saviour/story-fni5f22o-1226881315605

Are melbourne locked in for Wright or is everyone eligible for him?

Wright I a big lump of a guy. I think he will make an excellent ruck who can go forward and be effective. I am not sold that he is a full time forward though. From what I have seen he doesn't have true FF instincts. He is starting to get a bit of media chat but I do not think he is even certain of being in the top 5 atm. I in no way would say he is in the same class as Daniher as a forward prospect.

Who are the top Midfielders worth having a look over the KPP's? Personally I hope we can somehow get a priority pick so we can get a mid and a tall. Might be wishful thinking

Clem Smith and Jarrod Pickett are pretty good prospects from WA and both have really good pace. Smith a hard nut. Pickett showed in the Collingwood game that he is capable of stepping up. Ryan Lim the other sandgroper worth watching.

Brayshaw is getting a bit of attention and is another who will likely go higher than I think warrants. Duggan I don't mind but he can be a bit hit and miss from what I have seen. Maynard I will keep an eye on.

I quite like Heeney and Waterman as prospects but they will go to Sydney and WC respectively. Stretch will also go to Melb although I put him at a rung or two below those guys.

Sounds a bit stupid when you only pay for performance and not potential and then we over pay Hooper. Clark was a good player bordering on very good and Melbourne got to see some of his potential before he retired.
We were overpaying everyone on "potential" pre-Kerr. That's why our salary cap was in awful shape. Kerr brought that back under control by precisely avoiding that overpaying. Remember Clark had had a couple of fairly average years in the lead up to his departure.

Sounds a bit stupid when you only pay for performance and not potential and then we over pay Hooper. Clark was a good player bordering on very good and Melbourne got to see some of his potential before he retired.

I would use the words "immense talent" instead - KPF.Ruck and KPD...for me,Clark is one of the most disappointing players Brisbane Lions/Bears have had as far as what we got out of him compared to the football gifts he has.

Also,for me,it is way,way past the time that we had a red hot go at replacing Clark with a player of undoubted ability...I don't care if it is with a top 4 draft selection or going the way of Sydney when they got Lockett and some years later,Hall as experienced guns...to their credit,they did it TWICE.

I say this hoping that some of our current young Key Position prospects develop into quality players.

Alright, I've *very slowly* moved the game plan related stuff to the Leppa gameplan thread. This here's for draft talkin'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is so unfair, im on a phone and it takes me ages to type this stuff out, and in that time u move the discussion on me.. :(
No, it's good. I need the practice anyway :)

Hendo would have stayed if it wasn't for Fev. Hendo and Clark would have been a solid forward line if we decided to give Clark a pay rise and we wouldn't need to be recruiting talls with our first pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say it would have been a brilliant forward line and would have added versatility with Hendo being able to go back and Clark to pinch hit in the ruck. Add either Staker or Mc Guanne and all of a sudden our forward line dilemmas are over. Any chance we can pinch Hendo back?

Sorry to intrude fellas but ever since Leppa left the tigers i have some interest in following you guys.
I think Leppa leaving is partly the reason to our struggles this season.

I think you guys would be silly using a high draft pick on a tall I believe Leppa would choose a mid with pick 1 or 2. Surely with no concessions
you could use your 2nd rounder on a forward it would be around pick 19-20. I also wouldnt be against trading Vickery to you guys for around that pick.

Thoughts?

Sorry to intrude fellas but ever since Leppa left the tigers i have some interest in following you guys.
I think Leppa leaving is partly the reason to our struggles this season.

I think you guys would be silly using a high draft pick on a tall I believe Leppa would choose a mid with pick 1 or 2. Surely with no concessions
you could use your 2nd rounder on a forward it would be around pick 19-20. I also wouldnt be against trading Vickery to you guys for around that pick.

Thoughts?

We have plenty of not-quite good enough talls struggling to be second and third options. Vickery would be adding to that.

We need a real deal Browny replacement. Would be stunned if our first pick wasn't used on one of the talls in this draft.

Our second and third picks at this stage are likely to be used on Academy Players Liam Dawson and Matt Hammelman.

We have plenty of not-quite good enough talls struggling to be second and third options. Vickery would be adding to that.

We need a real deal Browny replacement. Would be stunned if our first pick wasn't used on one of the talls in this draft.

Our second and third picks at this stage are likely to be used on Academy Players Liam Dawson and Matt Hammelman.
Fair enough. Find a way to raid GWS.

If you look at the top tall forwards in the competition, most were taken with either high picks or as father/son. Rob Kerr (I think?) intimated as such too.

Looking at last year's Coleman Medal tally:
Roughead - pick 2
Cloke - F/S
Cameron - GWS pre-selection
Franklin - pick 5
Kennedy - pick 4
Riewoldt - pick 13
Schulz - pick 12
Hawkins - F/S

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news...ks-the-most-even-in-years-20140417-zqvq4.html

Article from the ever reliable Emma Quayle about how there is no lock so far the number one pick which worries me quite frankly. If we do have the first pick I hope by the end of the national champs someone really stands out.

Personally I can see it being out if Durdin and Goddard. Wright will slide (minimally) and McCartin will be there as well but the first two have the ability to play both ends and don't have the concerns as Wright (back) and McCartin (diabetic) have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back