2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are the top Midfielders worth having a look over the KPP's? Personally I hope we can somehow get a priority pick so we can get a mid and a tall. Might be wishful thinking

If we are lucky enough to jag a priority pick I would take the best two KPF's available.

We need more than one option, otherwise you become to one dimensional. Consider the following:
Brown/Braddy/Lynch
Ottens/Pods/Hawkins
Buddy/Roughead
Darling/Kennedy
Dawes/Cloke

It's going to be interesting to see what we do at the end of the year. Giving our lack of depth with senior players which will only get worse with Browy, Ash and possibly Staker retiring. then there's also Goose, Raines, Lisle and possibly Polks being delisted.

It looks like we'll probably have our second and third rounders locked in for academy picks which will make trading difficult. Do we pass them over and be aggressive during trade week to try to accelerate the rebuild?

We may get a 2nd/3rd round priority pick.

Who done the talent scouting last year? They have absolutely smashed last years draft and I am confident they can replicate again this year with possibly even more valuable picks. We have to go to the draft but I am open to the idea of recruiting through free trade much like Moloney to add some experience into the side.

I wouldn't be trading the opportunity to get the 14th best player in the draft with pick 23 and the 20th best player in the draft with pick 41.

Those numbers are all hypothetical of course but my point being that with a bit of luck and assuming they come on, Dawson and Hammelman might be a real draft coup for us and it would be pretty dicey to look a gift horse in the mouth. Would also do a bit of damage to the viability of the academy going forward.

We may get a 2nd/3rd round priority pick.

Who done the talent scouting last year? They have absolutely smashed last years draft and I am confident they can replicate again this year with possibly even more valuable picks. We have to go to the draft but I am open to the idea of recruiting through free trade much like Moloney to add some experience into the side.

No way will we get a priority pick. When the system was changed (if my memory is right) Vlad made it very clear that they would only be given in cases of extended failure,& not just for 1 bad season. If we are no better next year, then maybe.

We nedd to go down the Alisstar Clarkson path - "if he cannot kick, I don't want him". As to free agents - a big contested mark KPF please.

As a hypothetical and it is purely hypothetical. Would anyone here do a trade of pick 1 for Jaksch and Tomlinson? Add some possible swapping of later picks as well.

Yeah its hard to know about the academy kids so far this year. Freeman cost us a 3rd rounder IIRC, so we are going to maybe need 3rd and 4th round picks maybe for some academy kids. Will be interesting to see if anyone is traded, as getting back even 3rd or 4th round picks would keep us in the draft in those rounds, even if we have to take some academy kids. We will have a new coach and list manager, so it will be interesting.

We seem to have lucked out in the last draft, and as ive mentioned, I think we could afford to go big this year, maybe offer up our first and 2nd round picks, over pay slightly to land that KPF we need such as a Patton. We dont 'need' a high pick for a mid this year I dont feel, or at least I think we could afford to skip a year seems we nabbed Aish, Taylor and Robbo.

As a hypothetical and it is purely hypothetical. Would anyone here do a trade of pick 1 for Jaksch and Tomlinson? Add some possible swapping of later picks as well.

Nope, and I doubt they would go for it either.

Hypothetical; presume for a moment we finish above Melbourne and Carlton, and their respective free agents, Frawley and Gibbs depart. It has already been reported that Melbourne would get a pick after their first (e.g. pick 1 and 2, with pick 2 being the compensatory pick). Now if Carlton finished say second last, they would have pick 3, but if Gibbs were to go, would that mean they would get pick 4?

Now, if we were to have a mid season rejuvenation and say finished above St Kilda, and I don't know, GWS; if I'm reading it correctly, our pick 5 (without compensatory picks awarded to clubs for their loss of free agents), would then turn into pick 7.

Please tell me I'm completely wrong.

I think we still go best available unless it's a pure ruckman with no key forward ability.

No way will we get a priority pick. When the system was changed (if my memory is right) Vlad made it very clear that they would only be given in cases of extended failure,& not just for 1 bad season. If we are no better next year, then maybe.

We nedd to go down the Alisstar Clarkson path - "if he cannot kick, I don't want him". As to free agents - a big contested mark KPF please.

prob right, but we do have a half decent case to put forward

1) lost 5 high pick players to homesickness for pick downgrades
2) lost 2 uncontracted players (risky/brennan) to GC at a important time
3) Fev
4) Expansion clubs hoarding top talent hurt our drafting
5) No money for footy department spend has put our club back
6) Rugby League heartland... after 1 final in 10 years we cant afford to completely bottom out for 4 more years... not to mention the potential of further player walk outs if this occurs
7) retirements are going to leave us skinny on talent
8) The only non-footy state team to not get assistance... consequence of that is showing

Worth a crack... The Lions are in awful shape and need onfield and off field help. Can only be hopeful

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I do hope we don't get the number 1 pick. I think anywhere from 3-6 should get us a top end KPF talent as well as not losing every game which will be good for us commonly fickle fair weathered QLD supporter base

Hypothetical; presume for a moment we finish above Melbourne and Carlton, and their respective free agents, Frawley and Gibbs depart. It has already been reported that Melbourne would get a pick after their first (e.g. pick 1 and 2, with pick 2 being the compensatory pick). Now if Carlton finished say second last, they would have pick 3, but if Gibbs were to go, would that mean they would get pick 4?

Now, if we were to have a mid season rejuvenation and say finished above St Kilda, and I don't know, GWS; if I'm reading it correctly, our pick 5 (without compensatory picks awarded to clubs for their loss of free agents), would then turn into pick 7.

Please tell me I'm completely wrong.

You would be correct, assuming Gibbs and Frawley get paid above about $700k a year to change teams (and they probably would, if they were switching).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uu
Can't see Carlton finishing below us. Compensation picks for free agency are a farce.
Unless Luey goes back to WA next year of course. Am I the only one worried about this? Both WA clubs will be looking for a ready made replacement for Cox/ Sandilands, and no one would honestly begrudge Luey wanting to extend his career away from the GABBA cricket pitch. I cant help thinking after being screwed in the past few years with our picks being pushed down the order effectively because of movement between clubs (eg Goddard/Thomas etc), that they will scrap the free agent compensation next year and then we will get nothing if Leunberger was to leave.

Uu

Unless Luey goes back to WA next year of course. Am I the only one worried about this? Both WA clubs will be looking for a ready made replacement for Cox/ Sandilands, and no one would honestly begrudge Luey wanting to extend his career away from the GABBA cricket pitch. I cant help thinking after being screwed in the past few years with our picks being pushed down the order effectively because of movement between clubs (eg Goddard/Thomas etc), that they will scrap the free agent compensation next year and then we will get nothing if Leunberger was to leave.

Yep a decent chance it'll happen. At least we have West.

And Archie. :thumbsu:

We'd be mad not to let Leuey go if it meant we got another top 10 pick presuming we finish in the bottom rungs of the ladder next year e.g. we have a pick 6 and letting Leuey go meant we also got pick 7.

Archie would still be raw, but there is no reason that he couldn't have the same imact as say a Nicholls is having at the Suns.

You would be correct, assuming Gibbs and Frawley get paid above about $700k a year to change teams (and they probably would, if they were switching).

Thanks for the clarification. It'd almost be disastrous if either of those or both finish below us with that being the case.

We'd be mad not to let Leuey go if it meant we got another top 10 pick presuming we finish in the bottom rungs of the ladder next year e.g. we have a pick 6 and letting Leuey go meant we also got pick 7.
Yes but the point is, if they scrap the compensation (as they should - I agree with Bucking Beads, it's a joke) we won't get that extra pick.

Yes but the point is, if they scrap the compensation (as they should - I agree with Bucking Beads, it's a joke) we won't get that extra pick.

And knowing our luck, the compensation pick will be scrapped the year it would be applicable to the Lions.

THE AIS-AFL Academy level two squad is generally a fair representation of the wider draft pool.

Last year 11 of the top 12 picks were Academy graduates and the year before Jackson Macrae was the only non-Academy player in the top 10.

So after two weeks in Europe, with this year's 31-player Academy being put through a high-performance camp and two games, some questions about this year's draft can be answered. Others remain up in the air.

Is there a clear No.1 pick yet? The short answer is no.

Peter Wright might end up being the first player picked at this year's NAB AFL Draft, but he's not a certainty like Tom Boyd last year, or Lachie Whitfield the year before that, or probably most recent seasons with an obvious standout.

Wright is a 203cm forward/ruckman who has outstanding goalkicking skills, can mark well on the lead, and likes to roam up the ground where he has rucked at different stages. He might end up being more of a ruckman than a forward given his size, so the club with the first selection will weigh that up.

He kicked five goals for the Calder Cannons early in the season, but expect him to hit form in the under-18 championships after having a limited pre-season campaign with hamstring tendinitis.

Sam Durdin might also appeal for that No.1 position. At 197cm the South Australian is more mobile, and can play at either end of the ground and make that spot his. He hasn't played much recently as he recovers from thumb surgery but is the best player from his state this season.

Patrick McCartin and Jake Lever could push for early spots along with Tom Lamb and Hugh Goddard, while midfielder Angus Brayshaw looks an early pick at this stage as well.

Whichever club holds the No.1 pick could determine who goes where, such is the evenness of that group at the moment.

Link - More of an insight into the talls and other notables.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back