List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Would have to be McKenzie if we were gonna go for a bolter KP.

after drifting back to mid - late first round after champs, i reckon goddard comes with a rush. he's beaten some quality young talls in the back half of the year playing CHB / FB. big, really athletic units that can play on all types of key forwards and have some ability to switch forward don't grow on trees.

i'm down for keeping pick 5/6. lever, goddard, durdin, laverde on my shortlist.

Lever may well be a gun, but for a club dearth of KPPs I don't think we need to be taking a risk on one with dicky knees
Tend to recall clubs not taking a chance on a injury prone Chris Judd. I don't know how one injury conjures up a " dicky knee". Best player at our pick then they pick him. Simple

Lever may well be a gun, but for a club dearth of KPPs I don't think we need to be taking a risk on one with dicky knees
Tend to recall clubs not taking a chance on a injury prone Chris Judd. I don't know how one injury conjures up a " dicky knee". Best player at our pick then they pick him. Simple

after drifting back to mid - late first round after champs, i reckon goddard comes with a rush. he's beaten some quality young talls in the back half of the year playing CHB / FB. big, really athletic units that can play on all types of key forwards and have some ability to switch forward don't grow on trees.

i'm down for keeping pick 5/6. lever, goddard, durdin, laverde on my shortlist.

Don't mind your list there. Lever sounds good, Laverde certainly. Goddard and Durdin seem to me to be ok players now but probably need a bit of time to develop, which is ok. The other one I really like and want to see more of is Kyle Langford.

This from Bound for Glory:

"He just scrapes into key forward height being 190 cm, but his 73 kg frame is what will put recruiters off. Langford is a match winner in every position on the ground. He finds his own ball, disposes of it well and is one of the best shots at goal that has come through the TAC Cup ranks. He will no doubt be able to put on size once he enters the AFL system. Based on talent, consistency and ability to impact the game, Langford is not only a safe option come draft day, he has one of the biggest ceilings in terms of potential. Don’t be surprised if he does go earlier than expected and shoots up the order by the time November rolls around."

Sounds a little like another Northern Night we drafted last year. I love these types....versatility plus, good size and they get their own ball and use it well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mind your list there. Lever sounds good, Laverde certainly. Goddard and Durdin seem to me to be ok players now but probably need a bit of time to develop, which is ok. The other one I really like and want to see more of is Kyle Langford.

"He just scrapes into key forward height being 190 cm, but his 73 kg frame is what will put recruiters off. Langford is a match winner in every position on the ground. He finds his own ball, disposes of it well and is one of the best shots at goal that has come through the TAC Cup ranks. He will no doubt be able to put on size once he enters the AFL system. Based on talent, consistency and ability to impact the game, Langford is not only a safe option come draft day, he has one of the biggest ceilings in terms of potential. Don’t be surprised if he does go earlier than expected and shoots up the order by the time November rolls around."

Sounds a little like another Northern Night we drafted last year. I love these types....versatility plus, good size and they get their own ball and use it well.

I think Langford looks more comfortable with the ball on the outside more then on the inside
and looks faster to me

Last edited:
That was a shoulder/s they can be taped and held together. You don't run and jump on your shoulders. Knees are critical. My point is clearly that we are not a club who can afford to take a risk on a kid who has blown out a knee at this point of our rebuild

I think Langford looks more comfortable with the ball on the outside more then on the inside
and looks faster to me

Thanks for that. The footage certainly shows him more outside and the Bont footage is a lot of his close in stuff. I remember seeing more footage last year of Bont which was more like the Langford stuff. But agree they look a bit different in style, but I really like him.

Thanks for that. The footage certainly shows him more outside and the Bont footage is a lot of his close in stuff. I remember seeing more footage last year of Bont which was more like the Langford stuff. But agree they look a bit different in style, but I really like him.

just look at Fyfe
looked bit of a scrapper, think its really hard to tell and glad its not my job
:p

I find it funny sometimes when people say
why didn't we draft x?
I always think, if they were at our side, would they be as good as they are now?
All about development, our development during 2006-2010 was pretty shocking.

I think you are alluding to a comparison there between Grant and Langford. Other than perhaps similar height and build at the time, Grant was a KP forward as an underage player. There was never a mention of him as versatile mid who can go forward or back. I think they are completely different players, the little I have seen of Langford.

I find it funny sometimes when people say
why didn't we draft x?
I always think, if they were at our side, would they be as good as they are now?
All about development, our development during 2006-2010 was pretty shocking.
Post of the year. Development is EVERYTHING! All these kids can play.

Look at Sydney last night. Guys like Cunningham, Lloyd, rampe, Pyke cutting up. Even Parker, Richards, Hannebery etc weren't really high picks. It's all about development. We have improved massively there since McCartney took over.

just look at Fyfe
looked bit of a scrapper, think its really hard to tell and glad its not my job
:p

I have been watching as a much as I can on the top draft fancies. I think it's hard to split guys like petracca, brayshaw, they look really solid. But I don't feel like they have anything super special. They look like they will make good AFL players. But the likes of Laverde and Langford look perhaps not as good as those guys as we sit, but I think they have more upside going forward.

If we can grab McCartin or Wright then be hard to pass. But my choice of mids is currently down to Laverde or Langford.

Ralph says on sen that st kilda are locked on petracca. Increases the chances of wright or McCartin falling to us?
I'd say it all depends on what Melbourne do with their Frawley pick, and who gets that pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back