List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Are we assuming Laverde will be gone
If you mean by our second then yeah sounds like its certain he will be. He should be there at our first unless maybe GWS jump on him or if Pies get 4th I reckon they might like him, as much as I'd love to add him to our midfield squad (seriously he fits perfectly) I think we just have to go best available KPP. Then hope Menadue slips to our 2nd and its best of both worlds :thumbsu:

Foster missed about 14 weeks with a stress fracture in his foot last year but slotted 49 goals from 16 games in his over-age TAC Cup season.

Calder Cannons talent manager Ian Kyte believes he has done enough to land at an AFL club and Foster worked with Footscray last pre-season and spent time under Dogs strength and conditioning coach Mathew Inness this year, improving his agility.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Quote from Woof

"The Dogs are one of a handful of clubs also tracking GWS academy player Jack Steele.

The powerful midfielder from Canberra was overlooked last year after knee troubles but Giants list manager Stephen Silvagni has praised his decision-making and execution."

Don't think its been mentioned here, thoughts?

EDIT:

From Skippos -

Pick 40 - GWS: Jack Steele - Academy (NSW, Intelligent and skilled FWD/MID)
186cm, 80kg, 13/12/95
Range: Top 50
Style: Robbie Gray
Highlights

Despite being an overager, I really think Jack Steele could just be one of the better players to come out of this draft. Injured last year, he was overlooked and has come back this year and dominated, winning All Australian honours. Since the championships he's had a 25 disposal, 7 tackle game against the Swans reserves and last week he had a 39 disposal, 8 tackle and 7 mark game. While he was eligible last season, he was an extremely bottom aged player and is only 3 weeks older than Christan Petracca to put his performances in some perspective. Irrelevant of the standard if you're getting 39 touches in the NEAFL you're probably pretty good, especially at 18. Steele's just a natural footballer. He's not that quick or athletic (though he's agile with his evasion a highlight) but he's excellent in nearly every other aspect. He's a good kick with his vision, creativity and decision making highlights, below the knees he's very clean with his pickups and rarely fumbles, in the air he reads the ball better than most and is excellent one on one providing a real marking option through the middle. Under pressure he executes his skills as if he weren't and he just creates time and space for himself. When forward he hits the scoreboard but I prefer him through the middle with his clearance work exceptional with a natural read of the tap as well as his accumulation excellent.

Sounds familiar!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Quote from Woof

"The Dogs are one of a handful of clubs also tracking GWS academy player Jack Steele.

The powerful midfielder from Canberra was overlooked last year after knee troubles but Giants list manager Stephen Silvagni has praised his decision-making and execution."

Don't think its been mentioned here, thoughts?

EDIT:

That's good news. Steele was arguably even better than Heeney in the U18 champs, but obviously didn't get the same attention because he has the advantage of being an overager. Takes a lot of marks for a midfielder too.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's good news. Steele was arguably even better than Heeney in the U18 champs, but obviously didn't get the same attention because he has the advantage of being an overager. Takes a lot of marks for a midfielder too.
Yeah his hands look great, something we definitely need across the park. He's an overager but born mid december so really not even that old. Really like the look of him. Cool name too.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
We need to pick Jack Steele. That is the greatest name since Max Power.
Seriously he sounds like the alter ego of a superhero.
Somebody needs to photoshop him into a Dogs jumper with an arc reactor.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Somebody needs to photoshop him into a Dogs jumper with an arc reactor.
I was thinking more this...
steel.jpg

Doggies7

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks Manchester City
I remember saying the Dogs were interested in Matthew Hammelmann (Brisbane Lions academy prospect) in this years draft a little while ago. Does anyone know if Brisbane have nominated him, or shown interest in picking him up?

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
DAY TWO DRAFT COMBINE RESULTS
20 metre sprint results
Marvin Baynham 2.81secs
Oleg Markov 2.87
Jarrod Pickett 2.87
Reece McKenzie 2.87
Connor Menadue 2.88
Nakia Cockatoo 2.90
Ed Langdon 2.92
Paddy Brophy 2.93
Conor McKenna 2.93
Nathan Drummond 2.93

Agility results
Clem Smith 8.09secs
Daniel McKenzie 8.10
Conor McKenna 8.12
Jarrod Pickett 8.13
Teia Miles 8.27
Lukas Webb 8.28
Josh McGuinness 8.33
Billy Stretch 8.33
Kyle Langford 8.36
Jack Lonie 8.37

Repeat sprint results
Nakia Cockatoo 23.93secs
Nathan Drummond 23.95
Daniel Nielson 23.99
Daniel McKenzie 24.02
Ed Langdon 24.06
Oleg Markov 24.14
Connor Menadue 24.14
Conor McKenna 24.16
Matthew Goodyear 24.49
Jack Hiscox 24.36

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees
Reckon Cockatoo will be a huge bolter in the draft. Not a top 10 chance, but I reckon we'll need to use our second round to get him. Since coming back from injury, he's looked amazing. Hope we take the punt.
I'm thinking the same....... Kid can play to

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Reckon Cockatoo will be a huge bolter in the draft. Not a top 10 chance, but I reckon we'll need to use our second round to get him. Since coming back from injury, he's looked amazing. Hope we take the punt.
His size really sets him above a lot of guys with a similar skill set.

Maybe we get a later 2nd round pick for Jones which could come in to play.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
me too.
i wonder how he went in the agility test...good speed is less of a weapon if you've got the turning circle of a tram.
I haven't seen much of him so couldn't tell ya but everything I read about him was that he's quite agile because of his basketball background, but just a bit slow. So happy to see his results, same 20m as Pickett?! I know big blokes can run fast in straight lines but still, thats some fantastic speed off the mark which is what you want in a big bodied full forward.

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
me too.
i wonder how he went in the agility test...good speed is less of a weapon if you've got the turning circle of a tram.
I haven't seen much of him so couldn't tell ya but everything I read about him was that he's quite agile because of his basketball background, but just a bit slow. So happy to see his results, same 20m as Pickett?! I know big blokes can run fast in straight lines but still, thats some fantastic speed off the mark which is what you want in a big bodied full forward.

I've seen him play once. Never thought he could move that quick, though I was concentrating on Foster and Wright heavily at the time. His lateral movement seemed to be ok.

I guess he would at least be an upgrade on Redpath, better hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back