List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say we get Menadue - how many games do people think he's likely to play next year?
depends how he goes putting on muscle over the pre-season

the new coach as well might decide to not play him much, he might choose to play him a lot
Sky is really the limit, don't think you could put a figure on it? :eek:

depends how he goes putting on muscle over the pre-season

the new coach as well might decide to not play him much, he might choose to play him a lot
Sky is really the limit, don't think you could put a figure on it? :eek:

Understand. Just that he is touted as being quite slight, so thought he might be the type of player that may struggle to make an impact in his first season? I know it's all speculative, a lot of people thought Bonts would struggle this year and look how that turned out...

Didn't realise Paige's new phantom was up, thanks for the heads up VitalDread.

Considering three of her picks (four if you count Cordy) were the same as mine...I approve.
No problem man
Wasnt sure if someone had already posted it

Ideally if we picked up Menadue, he'd play maybe 1 or 2 games right at the end of the year. Waaaay to thin to play many more than that. Kid is a stick. He's a similar build to Ayce when he first arrived. Little arms like chopsticks and legs like spiderwebs. Has to have a massive preseason in which he puts on 4-5kgs, then the same next year and the same the year after that. His ideal playing weight at 188-190cm would be close to 85kg's. He's currently 17kg's away from that just to put it in perspective for you guys. Would definitely be a long term prospect.

Ideally if we picked up Menadue, he'd play maybe 1 or 2 games right at the end of the year. Waaaay to thin to play many more than that. Kid is a stick. He's a similar build to Ayce when he first arrived. Little arms like chopsticks and legs like spiderwebs. Has to have a massive preseason in which he puts on 4-5kgs, then the same next year and the same the year after that. His ideal playing weight at 188-190cm would be close to 85kg's. He's currently 17kg's away from that just to put it in perspective for you guys. Would definitely be a long term prospect.
Macrae and Bontempelli have been able to put on weight very fast so hopefully Menadue could do the same. I reckon Dalrymple will be interested to meet his parents, to just make sure he isn't genetically restricted like Jarrad Grant.

Macrae and Bontempelli have been able to put on weight very fast so hopefully Menadue could do the same. I reckon Dalrymple will be interested to meet his parents, to just make sure he isn't genetically restricted like Jarrad Grant.
We don't need another spindleshanks, that's for sure.

Surprised no-one has suggested we pick up Keitel with one of our second rounders. I see him as an ideal option as that 2nd KPF now that we have Boyd. Imagine lining up with

Bontempelli/Stringer Keitel Hunter
Resting Ruckman Boyd Crameri

Would be insanely difficult to match up on

I'm hoping Ryan Lim is someone we are looking at for a late pick, even though he is from WA and we seem to go nearly exclusively Victorian recently. Is close to the most underrated player in the draft in my opinion. Medium-tall outside midfielder with a lot of pace and agility. Has a very high kicking efficiency stat ,but opinion is divided on how he is as a kick. Some consider him elite, yet others think it's not good enough. To me he has an ugly kicking action and the ball tends to go a bit too high and loopy for my liking, but for some reason it always finds it's target. A little like Macrae.

Was last year considered a first round selection. Has improved this year but for some reason fallen off the draft board. Some WA combine stats have been posted in the Knightmare draft page which have backed up his speed. Got a sub 8 agility test score which is better than anyone at the National combine.

Last edited:
Surprised no-one has suggested we pick up Keitel with one of our second rounders. I see him as an ideal option as that 2nd KPF now that we have Boyd. Imagine lining up with

I'm a big fan of Keitel, reading this right up from EQ in the age, he seems like he would fit in with the young guys quite well.

Tyler Keitel (East Perth)

Born 7.2.1996, 194cm, 86kg

AFL biography: Tall forward who provided a strong marking target up forward and has good speed to get space off his opponent. Averaged 6.2 marks and 15.8 disposals as Western Australia's most dangerous forward during the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Can also transition into defence when called upon with great effect making him an extremely versatile footballer.

Raff Guadagnino, WAFL: "Tyler is probably the most professional player in our group. He leaves no stone unturned and he really plans everything out and make sure his training, his recovery, all the little things are done well. He's been seen as a tall forward but he could easily be manufactured into one of those players who plays well at both ends. He's a really nice kid who just wants to play well and has a great mindset."

I'm a big fan of Keitel, reading this right up from EQ in the age, he seems like he would fit in with the young guys quite well.

Tyler Keitel (East Perth)

Born 7.2.1996, 194cm, 86kg

AFL biography: Tall forward who provided a strong marking target up forward and has good speed to get space off his opponent. Averaged 6.2 marks and 15.8 disposals as Western Australia's most dangerous forward during the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Can also transition into defence when called upon with great effect making him an extremely versatile footballer.

Raff Guadagnino, WAFL: "Tyler is probably the most professional player in our group. He leaves no stone unturned and he really plans everything out and make sure his training, his recovery, all the little things are done well. He's been seen as a tall forward but he could easily be manufactured into one of those players who plays well at both ends. He's a really nice kid who just wants to play well and has a great mindset."
Sounds terrific.

Paige Cardona's write-up on her Phantom Draft:

Pick 28: Carlton - Tyler Keitel

Position: Key forward/defender
Height: 194 cm, Weight: 86 kg, DOB: 07/02/1996
Club: East Perth
Projected draft range: 15-30
Plays like: Lachie Henderson

Tyler Keitel has been immersed in first round discussions for a few months now. However, he realistically may fall through to the second round, depending on movement higher up the board. Thanks largely to a well-documented growth spurt, Keitel’s development as a key position player rather than a flanker has seen him taste action in a variety of roles, including defence and even in the ruck. In terms of his abilities as a key position prospect, his recovery is fantastic: if he goes to ground, he bounces straight back up, and has a willingness to play high half forward, which is a natural instinct that has stemmed from when he was a smaller flanker. He is mobile and athletic, and possesses a terrific leap at the ball. With those traits alone, he is highly regarded as a player who could mature into a damaging swingman at the next level. In defence, he is aggressive and physical, given he spoils well and doesn’t mind body-on-body scraps in a duelling contest, which was on full displayed in battles with Patrick McCartin and Darcy Moore. Keitel has a lot of swagger about him, possessing a certain cockiness and arrogance in small doses that you want out of your key forward or defender. Overall, he strikes me as your second best key forward or defender as opposed to the number one, which is why he falls down the order fractionally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the acquisition of Boyd, Keitel becomes a bit more draft relevant for us in my opinion. My biggest concern was essentially that I wasn't sure he'd cope with having to be the number one target, and thought he'd struggle to develop in a system where he was expected to be one. Certainly has enough in his game to make it as a second or third option for mine. Will watch with interest.

I did a few pages ago mention him
thought he was going to have a huge Champs, it didn't happen
but seeing him last year and again this year, I definitely believe he has some talent that he is yet to display
maybe our first two second rounders might seem high, but our third one he might just be a slight bargain by that stage

Agree
he would be a player we'd have to be drafting for at least 3 years away
Twoomey seems convinced he'll go later rather then earlier, but I'm sure he had Membrey in his draft going to us

that said, not many of the U18s are built to play the next year; out of the whole draft

I seen kietel play down back and was very impressed got a lot of ball and spoiled well

With the acquisition of Boyd, Keitel becomes a bit more draft relevant for us in my opinion. My biggest concern was essentially that I wasn't sure he'd cope with having to be the number one target, and thought he'd struggle to develop in a system where he was expected to be one. Certainly has enough in his game to make it as a second or third option for mine. Will watch with interest.

Would our club draft a WA player though?

Would our club draft a WA player though?
Hard to say. We have been extremely Vic-centric in recent times. Judging by our most recent non-Victorian draft pick (Fuller)...maybe we should stick with the Victorian bias.

total football I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Hammelmann. Looking around he seems pretty divisive, with some seeing him as a late 20s pick at the latest and others thinking he could go undrafted.

Honestly, I can't say I watch a whole lot of the Division 2 sides and when I do it has traditionally only been when they cross over to get pummeled by the boys in Division 1 so I haven't seen a lot of him. From what I have seen and from his short highlights reel on youtube, I can't say I'm much of a fan.

Reminds me a lot of Marco Paparone as a junior which isn't exactly a compliment... good mover and all that but just doesn't look like a footballer, kicking looks ok-ish when it's on and atrocious when it's not.

Also, I refuse to buy into the notion that athletes can make it as key position players, especially key forwards. I'm racking my brain trying to think of someone who has done it but I just can't. It's late, so surely I'm missing the obvious? Key position players, especially forwards, don't have the luxury afforded to other 'outfield' players in that they literally spend the entire 4 quarters being worked over by their opponent/s. I just think it's going to be extremely difficult, almost impossible, for someone like Hammelmann to step into the game at the next level and compete every week against guys who have had a lifetime of football behind them in that 1-on-1 style. Midfielders etc can get away with it because at times they will find themselves isolated from their opponents and are free to do as they wish, if you understand what I mean.

It's late. This probably won't make sense to me in the morning.

Gold Coast were happy to play that Jack Martin kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back