List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the highlights I thought that McDonald looked a little bit small. I loved Menadue, I think he would be great in our midfield and even though we now have Boyd I really liked Reece McKenzie's highlights. His contested marking looks like a massive strength. I know he is a but limited in terms of position but he could be very useful as a second big up forward.

DVR looks like he has great kicking skills and off half back he could be good but he looks a bit small to me and I am not sure how quick he is, whereas Menadue looks really fast. I hope we get him with one of our first two picks.

Menadue's highlights are very impressive, whoever said the Bob Murphy comparison is spot on. Hope we get him.

As I've mentioned before, I'm not the best at keeping up with draft prospects, my exposure usually limited to reading BF and watching highlight videos. That being said, is the following draft a possibility or is it a bit of wishful thinking on my part that these guys would get to our picks?

26: C. Menadue
27: R. McKenzie
39: O. McDonald
45: D. Viojo-Rainbow
46: H. Wigg/N. Drummond

Have Reece McKenzie's combine results been posted on this thread? Tested well above what I expected in most of the athletic areas and not a long way off Naitanui, apart from the jumps testing.
I'll take that as a no. :D

Reece McKenzie
197cm, 106.9kg
Agility test 8.59s (beat guys like Duggan and Lamb)
2.87s 20m sprint
1.01s over first 5m
1.71s over first 10m
24.88s repeat sprint
Standing vertical jump 72cm
Right run vertical jump 74cm
Left run vertical jump 84cm

Nic Naitanui
200cm, 94kg
Agility test 8.53s
2.86s 20m sprint
1.05s over first 5m
1.74s over first 10m
25.10 repeat sprint
Standing vertical jump 78cm
Right run vertical jump 96cm
Left run vertical jump 102cm

Credit to Sezzac1 for the numbers. The sprint surprised me a little; I knew he was quick but not that quick. It's the agility test that really surprised me though - pretty decent effort for a big guy. 107kg, 2.87s 20m sprint, 8.59s agility. Crazy.

Dannnnnnnnnn, what are your thoughts on Tom Wilkinson? Seen much of him? His write up is pretty impressive.

Watching the highlights I thought that McDonald looked a little bit small. I loved Menadue, I think he would be great in our midfield and even though we now have Boyd I really liked Reece McKenzie's highlights. His contested marking looks like a massive strength. I know he is a but limited in terms of position but he could be very useful as a second big up forward.

DVR looks like he has great kicking skills and off half back he could be good but he looks a bit small to me and I am not sure how quick he is, whereas Menadue looks really fast. I hope we get him with one of our first two picks.
DVR is bigger then he looks

Bound for Glory has him at 185cm
but I think he is closer to 187cm, walked past him a few times

I think he would be better on the wing then in defense, delivering it to our forwards

Reece McKenzie
197cm, 106.9kg
2.87s 20m sprint
1.01s over first 5m
1.71s over first 10m
24.88s repeat sprint

Nic Naitanui
200cm, 94kg
Agility test 8.53s
2.86s 20m sprint
1.05s over first 5m
1.74s over first 10m
25.10 repeat sprint

Credit to Sezzac1 for the numbers. The sprint surprised me a little; I knew he was quick but not that quick. It's the agility test that really surprised me though - pretty decent effort for a big guy. 107kg, 2.87s 20m sprint, 8.59s agility. Crazy.
His combine results surprised me too, but isn't his main problem his ability at his feet? In that if he doesn't take the grab, he's lost it?

But I still think if he's available at 26 or 27 we should take him, because I think we need another big guy up forward to help Boyd.

Reece McKenzie
197cm, 106.9kg
2.87s 20m sprint
1.01s over first 5m
1.71s over first 10m
24.88s repeat sprint

Nic Naitanui
200cm, 94kg
Agility test 8.53s
2.86s 20m sprint
1.05s over first 5m
1.74s over first 10m
25.10 repeat sprint

Big risk kicks bags on lesser opponents and struggles against good defenders , meant to be a nut job as well might be a good idea to pass if someone is available at that pick that has shown they are willing to train hard and have a never give up attitude , I think Mckenzie lacks a bit of heart

Reece McKenzie
197cm, 106.9kg
2.87s 20m sprint
1.01s over first 5m
1.71s over first 10m
24.88s repeat sprint

Nic Naitanui
200cm, 94kg
Agility test 8.53s
2.86s 20m sprint
1.05s over first 5m
1.74s over first 10m
25.10 repeat sprint

Geez that's pretty impressive, you'd think an AFL club would strip him down to about 100kgs too.

Not sure how well he fits alongside Boyd but hey it would be nice to have the problem of trying to fit in two quality tall forwards for once in our life.

Dunno if he will be available anyway though.

Wish the AFL had put up highlights of Payne in those bits of footage. Also would have liked to know more of his results combine testing only know he ran a 13.5 beep (best of the key forwards) and got 27/30 in the clean hands test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reece McKenzie
197cm, 106.9kg
2.87s 20m sprint
1.01s over first 5m
1.71s over first 10m
24.88s repeat sprint

Nic Naitanui
200cm, 94kg
Agility test 8.53s
2.86s 20m sprint
1.05s over first 5m
1.74s over first 10m
25.10 repeat sprint

Sheesh. Those are some impressive numbers. You sure they're not Dan McKenzie's results??

Reckon the blues might take him at 19, you don't do that Jacksh trade unless there is someone you like later in the first round.

A 2.87 second 20m is ridiculous for a 107kg guy. Wow.

If Reece doesn't make it it won't be for lack of ability.

I wonder if having him behind Tom Boyd might motivate him? Don't know much about Reece but he probably likes to be no. 1.

Dannnnnnnnnn, what are your thoughts on Tom Wilkinson? Seen much of him? His write up is pretty impressive.
I've seen a bit of him. He's a solid player. He's a bit like Macrae with his uncanny ability to win the ball on the outside and find space. He's just not a very good kick and he's even worse under pressure. He'll give some run and carry but he's not the kind of guy that's going to tear the opposition to shreds with lace-out passes or the like. I like him as a late-draft kinda guy.

His combine results surprised me too, but isn't his main problem his ability at his feet? In that if he doesn't take the grab, he's lost it?

But I still think if he's available at 26 or 27 we should take him, because I think we need another big guy up forward to help Boyd.
Yeah, he's not fantastic at ground level. The biggest issue for me though is that he doesn't use his athleticism on the field; he's not natural and the speed and agility looks wasted at times. A guy like Durdin tested worse than McKenzie in most aspects yet he looks much more athletic on the field. If a coach can teach him to harness that athleticism, he'll be a good player. I'd argue that when you've got a big guy that is that strong, that quick and that agile, ground-level ability isn't a huge concern. How many defenders that can match him for size and strength can match his speed? His agility? His repeat sprint? Not many. He's a risk, and is no guarantee to make it, but I think he's got enough tools at his disposal to make it.

Big risk kicks bags on lesser opponents and struggles against good defenders , meant to be a nut job as well might be a good idea to pass if someone is available at that pick that has shown they are willing to train hard and have a never give up attitude , I think Mckenzie lacks a bit of heart
A few things: first, while he didn't dominate against the good defenders, he still rarely went goalless - and when he did, it was more because he sprayed his set shots than it was because he wasn't getting the opportunities. Secondly, you realise he hasn't played much football at all for about two years yeah? He's been focused on basketball. His results this year were pretty amazing all things considered. Third, what are you basing the "nut job" comment on? That he came on BF and pumped himself up a bit on the Saints board? I don't think that's a big issue at all; just a kid trying to pump up his tyres. From what I've heard he's a pretty intelligent guy that needs to work a bit harder - but so do a lot of these U18s. I still think our first picks might be a little early for him, and wasn't suggesting we take him there, but found his combine results interesting.

If Menadue is there at 26 or 27, I think we'll take him. We've interviewed him 3 times now, so I'd assume we're pretty keen. Unless someone else from our list is still there. We're still into Maynard too for anyone interested.

Question for the draft watchers, If Mcdonald, Menadue and Mckenzie are all there at 26/27, which 2 do you take?

Of this mid size options
I really fancied McLean
Has all the skills something between
Wingard/Howe

It has been well-documented that McLean has all the skills and is pretty spectacular in the air etc etc, but personally I think his greatest asset is his decision making. Makes very good decisions very quickly. He'd be right up there with the best in this year's pool in that regard.

Eventually, he should end up in the midfield so maybe the Robbie Gray comparisons aren't far away.

If Menadue is there at 26 or 27, I think we'll take him. We've interviewed him 3 times now, so I'd assume we're pretty keen. Unless someone else from our list is still there. We're still into Maynard too for anyone interested.

Question for the draft watchers, If Mcdonald, Menadue and Mckenzie are all there at 26/27, which 2 do you take?

Menadue for sure, we need run desperately, then very tough decision McDonald you know what you will get an honest hard working defender, McKenzie is a bust or greatness type. Unless he is outstanding his type of build won't make it at AFL level.

In the end I would take the punt and go mcKenzie only because we already have Zaine Cordy locked in and he is similar in type to McDonald.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back