List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if Quigley was a Lewis Taylor fan last year, that has probably changed now

Knew he was big on Billings, most of his pros/cons come from a fairly small sample size of games

Paige knows her TAC players

If we got Maynard it wouldn't surprise me, at around 39 when he was considered a first round pick start of the season
good burst of speed, strong and can play a variety of roles

McDonald and Menadue take the two Victorians first, more clubs to trade with if they wanted out
where as if Keitel wanted to head home, only have WCE & Freo to deal with
If Menadue and Mcdonald are available at 26 and 27 I would take those 2. Our lack of outside speed and ball use is still very problematic and I think our forward end is in slightly better shape than our defence. If we can't get Keitel at 39 then I'd look towards a Hammelman or Crisp. We need another KPD and McDonald is the one we could possibly get at that spot. He also showed a bit up forward too. I'd go for him most certainly.
Hmm tough but I'd probably go Menadue and McDonald, hope Keitel is there at 39 but even if not there's still a couple of options I don't mind around our later picks like Payne.
Menadue and McDonald.
Keitel is well behind the other two in performance. He may have a potentially higher ceiling as a KPF but McD has performed better as a KPF than keitel, although McD will probably be a better KPD than forward.
Would rather take McDonald and Menadue in the second and take Payne later to develop into an Athletic CHF to go with Boyd. Throw in elite skills at 39 and a bit more pace and we'd be doing alright.

Am I the only one who thinks that Keitel is a much better fit for our backline than McDonald??

Based on 3 minutes of video, McDonald looks a bit slow and clunky (similar Roughie & Talia) whereas Keitel looks like he moves really well for a big guy.
Is it possible that I have been decieved by 3 minutes of highlights?

2 minute highlight reel, snap judgement time. Reece Mckenzie looks very "meh". Anyone who's seen plenty of him got any thoughts?

Only seen one game of him live and he didn't look all that special to me either. He still kicked 3 goals the day I saw him, but it was really because of his size rather then his leading patterns, smarts or ground level ability that got him those goals. Seems still quite raw and a bit of a bully to me.

Am I the only one who thinks that Keitel is a much better fit for our backline than McDonald??

Based on 3 minutes of video, McDonald looks a bit slow and clunky (similar Roughie & Talia) whereas Keitel looks like he moves really well for a big guy.
Is it possible that I have been decieved by 3 minutes of highlights?

Keitel does look like he moves better, but I haven't seen enough to really make a proper judgement as a defender. In the limited viewings that I have seen him as a defender, I thought he lacked a bit of aggression to be able to play a close checking role and would turn out a bit like Mitch Brown has from Geelong.

Over to McDonald, I've often thought with Roughead, Talia and Roberts who aren't the quickest that maybe McDonald doesn't really suit us. But on the other hand it's really hard to argue with the results he's produced. He's shut down athletic forwards in Moore, Wright and McCartin. Got a 3.01 over 20m which is above average, had a good 3km time trial (somewhere around the 10.30 mark) and was apparently solid throughout the rest of the testing. He appears to be quicker then he looks and reads the play better then most. I rate a few outside players above him which I think will be available at our 2nd round picks, but I can understand if the club wants to pull the trigger on him.

Cal Twomey has the players around the mark for us as: McDonald, vickers willis, Neal bullen and blakely. I'd love blakely, absolutely love him

Of Blakely slides to our firat pick I would not know what to do looks a dead set gun so we'd have to consider him. Thoough we could miss out on Menadue or McDonald id we do take him. Glad I'm not Dalrymple

Neal-Bullen an inside mid :eek:
we don't know what will happen to Prudden/Smith yet and Neal-Bullen was one of/if not the best midfielder across the U18 Championship

Of Blakely slides to our firat pick I would not know what to do looks a dead set gun so we'd have to consider him. Thoough we could miss out on Menadue or McDonald id we do take him. Glad I'm not Dalrymple
Twoomey seems real cold on Menadue, he must know something :eek:
Blakely is good on the inside & good on the outside and I think he is supposed to be quite tall

Cockatoo is a player that I hope slides based on limited exposure in his last year and having two earlier second round picks could be worth a gamble with one of them

Daniel McKenzie he pumped up a lot and he isn't the most exciting player that is going around, but I suppose I could understand why he thinks he might go earlier

liking McDonald if he is at our second round pick, his athletic ability would compliment the key defenders we have now really well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

via afl website

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Pick 26
: Oscar McDonald has risen sharply towards the end of the season and is now viewed by some as a top-40 selection. The 196cm defender can shut down opponents, has strong endurance and tested very well at the recent national combine. He's a bit of a late riser, but ticks some important boxes. He's the brother of Melbourne's Tom McDonald, and the Bulldogs will be keen to add some key defensive youth.
Around the mark: Alex Neal-Bullen, Ed Vickers-Willis, Connor Blakely

2 minute highlight reel, snap judgement time. Reece Mckenzie looks very "meh". Anyone who's seen plenty of him got any thoughts?

Can't say I've seen him much but Carlton and St Kilda are super keen on him so I think he'll almost be definitely gone but our first pick.

Evaluation of his prospects: Normally the top tier KPFs are found early draft with the late ones often busts. Cripps looks to be no exception - while he's a nice player at junior level I don't believe he has the game to ever be more than a Liam Jones at AFL level, likely worse.

That is exactly what I thought about Cripps Skippos great minds think alike hey :p BTW pick 80 is in play for the dogs with Tutt most likely going to Carlton in the PSD

Thw only one I'd go near really is Payne because he has the attributes of a Defender so he could become either or both. Thing is he needs a fair bit of physical development I could see him making it though I just can't see Cripps making it at the level
Yeah exactly. I can't remember that many worthwhile KPFs who were selected late draft and weren't F/S or some other scheme.

Even if we miss out on a KPF, could still get one next year

I think if we get a KPD this year at the draft, Roberts can start to play more as a forward

interested whether we'll take more KPPs this season, given we traded for Boyd
Thw only one I'd go near really is Payne because he has the attributes of a Defender so he could become either or both. Thing is he needs a fair bit of physical development I could see him making it though I just can't see Cripps making it at the level
Think you'd be disappointed if we only took the one KPP in the draft? (National)
We might end up taking all midfielders/general defenders

I think if we get a KPD this year at the draft, Roberts can start to play more as a forward

Think you'd be disappointed if we only took the one KPP in the draft? (National)

If anything just go after Schache next year. You'll be in the range to do so.

If anything just go after Schache next year. You'll be in the range to do so.
That is what I'm thinking

What range would you say Tucker is at this stage?

Interesting to see who Twoomey thinks would suit the Dogs, but he is probably right
still plenty of time to go though

I just did a first three round phantom without writeups in a book so I'm think that might happen. Actually there is no KPP I'm willing to us 26 & 27 for and by 39 the one I wanted there where gone too had to deal up Payne & Howe at 45/46. I'm not sure on Hammelmann cause Brisbane didn't nominate him and Kietel is too much like Mitch Brown. Hammelmann could get through to 39 but I wonder about Fremantle at 34.

I just did a first three round phantom without writeups in a book so I'm think that might happen. Actually there is no KPP I'm willing to us 26 & 27 for and by 39 the one I wanted there where gone too had to deal up Payne & Howe at 45/46. I'm not sure on Hammelmann cause Brisbane didn't nominate him and Kietel is too much like Mitch Brown. Hammelmann could get through to 39 but I wonder about Fremantle at 34.
I don't like player comparisons for that reason, Keitel might not necessarily be aggressive at the ball right now but a new coach might be able to get the best out of him

definitely think he could be useful, but just the one KPP in the ND might be the way we go
I'd be pretty happy if that was McDonald
McDonald, Cockatoo/Menadue, McKenzie/Viojo-Rainbow would be the second round I'd be hoping for

I just don't think that Kietel has that aggressive streak that is needed to be a decent KPP. Don't think he has everything that is required and looks lackluster would rather we take the best kids we can and use the rookie draft for needs

At this present time in my write ups both McDonald and McKenzie are not available having been picked up earlier. Have us with DVR and Menadue on best available reasoning
I don't like player comparisons for that reason, Keitel might not necessarily be aggressive at the ball right now but a new coach might be able to get the best out of him

definitely think he could be useful, but just the one KPP in the ND might be the way we go
I'd be pretty happy if that was McDonald
McDonald, Cockatoo/Menadue, McKenzie/Viojo-Rainbow would be the second round I'd be hoping for

Last edited:
I just don't think that Kietel has that aggressive streak that is needed to be a decent KPP. Don't think he has everything that is required and looks lackluster would rather we take the best kids we can and use the rookie draft for needs

At this present time in my write ups both McDonald and McKenzie are not available having been picked up earlier. Have us with DVR and Menadue on best available reasoning
Do you mean Reece or Daniel?

I feel the same way about Reece McKenzie, don't think he has enough tricks to be a dangerous permanent forward in a side
and think at best he becomes a Chris Dawes type of player

just checking out videos of all the players now, I think Dan McKenzie would suit us a lot

I do have concerns over DVR, because I'm not sure what his athleticism is like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back