List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you seen him play ?
No I haven't seen any of the kids play. I'm a spectator only at draft time (aside from 2min highlight package judgements which are rock solid as we all know:)

I've just heard we're very keen on macdonald.

Hrovat24

Club Legend
May 8, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No I haven't seen any of the kids play. I'm a spectator only at draft time (aside from 2min highlight package judgements which are rock solid as we all know:)

I've just heard we're very keen on macdonald.
No one on here really mentioned MacDonald or liked him until we were linked to him haha

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ok I'll have a go.

So here's my predictions, I've tried to consider needs where possible.

1. STK - Christian Petracca
2. MELB - Patrick McCartin
3. MELB - Angus Brayshaw
4. GWS - Peter Wright
5. COLL - Jayden Laverde
6. GWS - Jake Lever
7. GWS - Paul Ahearn
8. GCS - Jordan De Goey
9. COLL - Darcy Moore (F/S)
10. GEEL - Brendan Goddard
11. WCE - Lachie Weller
12. RICH - Sam Durdin
13. FRE - Caleb Marchbank
14. ADEL - Jarrod Pickett
15. GCS - Kyle Langford
16. NORTH - Nakia Cockatoo
17. HIRD - Connor Blakely
18. SYD - Isaac Heeney (Academy)
19. CARL - Liam Duggan
20. HIRD - Jarrod Garlett
21. STK - Reece McKenzie
22. STK - Corey Ellis
23. GWS - (PSD/Rookie Upgrade)
24. GWS - Jack Steele (Academy)
25. NORTH - Ed Vickers Wallis
26. WB - Connor Menadue
27. WB - Brayden Maynard
28. CARL - Alex Neal-Bullen
29. GCS - Toby McLean
30. COLL - Damian Cavka
31. HAW - Peter Bampton
32. WCE - Clem Smith
33. RICH - Dean Gore
34. FRE - Tom Lamb
35. ADEL - Oscar McDonald
36. NORTH - Keenan Ramsay
37. SYD - Jackson Nelson
38. SYD - Jack Hiscox (Academy)
39. WB - Daniel McKenzie
40. MELB - Billy Stretch (F/S)
41. STK - Mitch McGovern
42. MELB - Tyler Keitel
43. ADEL - Nathan Drummond
44. BRIS - Liam Dawson (Academy)
45. WB - Josh Glenn
46. WB - Christian Buykx-Smith

Some thoughts and reasoning

So I think McDonald will be available and I have a feeling we pass on him for Maynard. A BF meltdown will erupt.
I don't believe McDonald is the best player available here, but I don't think he will be available at 39 so I think we have to pull the trigger if we want him.
I'm not a great fan of Maynard by the way, just a gut feel Dalrymple will go with him or another quick small.

We are apparently very keen on Menadue and he fits our needs to a tee. I think we all agree on this. Yeah?

I think Daniel McKenzie at pick 26/27 is too high. He's had a lot more poor/average games then good games. But he did have a very good last month of the year. Pick 39 is more around the mark IMO.

The Josh Glenn selection was really only me listening to another poster. If we have interviewed him 3 times then that's a pretty good chance we will take him, but I really know nothing about him.

With the last selection I went with Christian Buykx-Smith who hasn't had the greatest of years due to injury, but I liked what I saw of him last year. Very quick tall defender, that has run a 2.89s over 20m (by this) and has a decent beep test of 13. He's a competitive beast that doesn't give an inch to his opponent. With our tall defenders in Talia, Roughead and Roberts being a little on the slow side, I think he would be a good one to add to the side. Decent Morris replacement too.

Others I was looking at

Dan Howe - Tall defender/3rd tall with some X factor - Really like him, but he might be tough to fit in with Wood and Cordy already
Jordan Cunico - X factor Forward/mid - Just doesn't do enough of the hard stuff.
Matthew Hammelmann - KPP - Has a heap of potential and the tools to make it he's just not aggressive or physical enough for my liking.

Just some other general thoughts

I reckon Ellis is around the mark and is a decent chance to get through to one of our picks. Been inconsistent this year. I had him and Menadue at our picks for a while.

The more I look into it, the more I'm convinced Blakely will not be available. He was one of the best (if not the best) clearance winning midfielder's of the champs and played 15 games in the WAFL seniors (and played very well in them by reports). Add to that he has the height and speed to play in a number of positions. When it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Iluvdalhouse

Debutant
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thinking...
Boyd
Menadue
McKenzie
McDonald
Maynard
Gore-Glenn-Nelson ???
Cordy
Jong
Redpath

2 power forward
1 left footer swingman
2 tall backs
2 fast outside wingman H-f
2 inside onballers

This is the draft that will cap of our list.......

scooter600x

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2003
Behind the goals, Geelong Rd end
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It seems to me there are 18 kids almost certain to be gone by our pick. If one slides, you probably grab him.

Moore, Heeney & Steele.
McCartin, Wright, Level, Durdin, Goddard, Marchbank.
Petracca, Brayshaw, Ahern, De Goey, Pickett, Weller, Laverde, Duggan, Ellis.

Langford, Lamb and McKenzie would also be highly likely to be off the board but I'm not as keen on them and wouldn't necessarily take them just because they were still there.

My first choice is Cockatoo & McDonald, followed by Maynard, Menadue, Garlett, Blakely

D. McKenzie, Gore, Nelson, Cavka, Bevan or Howe with the last 3 picks.

Lester Fox

Debutant
Feb 27, 2014
Lara, Victoria
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Leicester City
I hope our recruiters are having a really good think about Josh Glenn from Central Districts in SA. I understand we have spoken to him at least 3 times now which is a good sign. He has been starring in the SANFL as a running half back with a beautiful kick into the forward line particularly to a lead. Only 21 years old and is ready to go.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I hope our recruiters are having a really good think about Josh Glenn from Central Districts in SA. I understand we have spoken to him at least 3 times now which is a good sign. He has been starring in the SANFL as a running half back with a beautiful kick into the forward line particularly to a lead. Only 21 years old and is ready to go.
Serious de ja vu right now!

Third time lucky right? :p

It seems to me there are 18 kids almost certain to be gone by our pick. If one slides, you probably grab him.

Moore, Heeney & Steele.

Langford, Lamb and McKenzie would also be highly likely to be off the board but I'm not as keen on them and wouldn't necessarily take them just because they were still there.

My first choice is Cockatoo & McDonald, followed by Maynard, Menadue, Garlett, Blakely

I wouldn't say Ellis is a lock to be gone at our pick. A couple of industry chaps can see him sliding into the 40s and maybe beyond. Nobody really knows at this stage.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

Moore, Heeney & Steele.

Cavka won't get past Collingwood at 30.

hatescaptcha

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
Truganina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wouldn't say Ellis is a lock to be gone at our pick. A couple of industry chaps can see him sliding into the 40s and maybe beyond. Nobody really knows at this stage.

Ellis is fairly bottom aged from memory, plenty of development left in him, he could very well end up a steal at our pick. Classy player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TempleKelvington

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2009
Out searching for omens pointing to our next flag.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think we will go with mostly pacy mids with good skills and at our pick I think these guys might be there.

Menadue, Cockatoo, Caleb Daniel, Rainbow, and a KP player. I be happy with either McDonald, Carey, Mclaren or Hammelmann.

I think we will use the Rookie draft to pick a mature aged mid for insurance and at least one KP player and or ruck who will need a lot of time.

Chris Cain, Jayden Foster, Michael Foggarty, Marc Pittonet/ Darcy Forte (Ruck)

Gary Ayres will bring Cain accross with him. :D

Clem Smith is a massive fall from grace. 2013 AA, dashing, crashing bottom-aged player who had a real point of difference. Should have been a top 10-12 lock.

This year he's been on the nose and looked like he should be playing in the Amateurs.

hatescaptcha

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
Truganina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If Cockatoo slips to 26 and then Menadue at 27. That'll set us up with a huge amount of speed and skill in one draft.
Then we can pick up some developing talls later in the draft. Fingers crossed.

(However for what it's worth i can't see Cockatoo going past North at 25).

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is no way that oscar McDonald will be available by pick 39
I haven't seen the kid play so admittedly i'm just going off highlights & what has been said about him, but to me shutting down TAC cup forwards when you haven't really got any other strings to your bow isn't the best resume.

If you've seen a different side of Oscar or have any other input I'd be interested to hear it.

I just think there are enough talented kids in the draft to push McDonald back to 39

I haven't seen the kid play so admittedly i'm just going off highlights & what has been said about him, but to me shutting down TAC cup forwards when you haven't really got any other strings to your bow isn't the best resume.

I think there are enough talented kids in the draft to push McDonald back to 39
39 seems a bit too far for him. If we passed on him at 26 & 27 he'd surely be gone soon after imo.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If Cockatoo slips to 26 and then Menadue at 27. That'll set us up with a huge amount of speed and skill in one draft.
Then we can pick up some developing talls later in the draft. Fingers crossed.

(However for what it's worth i can't see Cockatoo going past North at 25).
Cockatoo draft range pick 8-14
Menadue draft range pick 14-27
If Menadues weight was 80 kg instead of 69 kg he would be
a lock for top five, think Jarrad Grant with an eating disorder.

Have just watched his highlights on the AFL website. Yes he does have a very nice left foot and yes he appears quite quick. However, as typical with the SANFL there is a lot of free flowing footy with minimal pressure. Notice how all of his possessions are when he seems to be by himself and/or left unattended. AFL is much different. I remember watching Fuller's highlights late last year and all/most of his possessions were not under any pressure also.
I'm sure this guy has talent but we have to keep SANFL highlights in perspective! Hopefully, if we are interested our scouts have seen more than what we see here.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have just watched his highlights on the AFL website. Yes he does have a very nice left foot and yes he appears quite quick. However, as typical with the SANFL there is a lot of free flowing footy with minimal pressure. Notice how all of his possessions are when he seems to be by himself and/or left unattended. AFL is much different. I remember watching Fuller's highlights late last year and all/most of his possessions were not under any pressure also.
I'm sure this guy has talent but we have to keep SANFL highlights in perspective! Hopefully, if we are interested our scouts have seen more than what we see here.
Have a look at Dan McKenzie's highlights. Fast outside player but most of the possessions are under real pressure. A lot to like imo.

Have a look at Dan McKenzie's highlights. Fast outside player but most of the possessions are under real pressure. A lot to like imo.
Yes he looks very promising. Attacks the ball strongly, good overhead mark for a 6 footer, and runs strongly, a bit lightly built at this stage. Ranked 15 - 50 in the AFL Draft Hub. Out of the 2 you suggested I'd prefer him but who knows what the recruiters are thinking. I'm glad I haven't got the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back