List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Blakely's speed is the biggest question mark - I've heard he ran a 3.19s 20m sprint which isn't good at all.
Yeah saw that too, but he doesn't really look slow. He has a good first couple of steps & good awareness which is what you need in tight. Might be a bit of a liability on the spread though.

Pottzy

Rookie
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Apologies if this has been asked before, but are we trying to recruit EVW in the hope that he will transform into a midfielder and not a backman? Even though he was the AA full back I understand that he is not big enough to play KPD but thought he might have been targeted as an attacking 3rd/4th back.

Zgope1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Apologies if this has been asked before, but are we trying to recruit EVW in the hope that he will transform into a midfielder and not a backman? Even though he was the AA full back I understand that he is not big enough to play KPD but thought he might have been targeted as an attacking 3rd/4th back.
I imagine his ability to play midfield AND back are why we rate him so high. He's a flexible leader with absolute ability.

Will we get a KPF at 39, 45, 46? Assuming big Reece is gone by 26/27. Really think we need one more and don't want a 5 year project type like Redpath either.
Almost all genuine size KP forward prospects taken at that range would take 3+ years as an absolute minimum.

Zephiisdaman

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2010
Whitten Oval
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With my McDonald and EVW question, regarding if they can fit in our defense. I just thought to look up the geelong premiership side from 2011. Very interesting.

This is my proposed defense:

Wood Talia JJ
Roberts McDonald EVW

Now here is the geelong 2011 team defense:

Enright Taylor Wojcinski
Lonergon Scarlett Hunt

Now I'm not sure about you guys but-
Enright=wood
Taylor= Talia
Wojcinski= JJ
Lonergen=Roberts
Scarlet= McDonald
Hunt= EVW
Big difference between the Geelong list and the WBD list.
The Geelong players foot skills are about 35% better per player.
Wood awful kick and decision maker
Talia bad kick
JJ bad kick
Roberts ok
McDonald has a lot to show before he can be compared to Scarlett
EVW don't know, but Hunt was a superb kick

Iluvdalhouse

Debutant
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
so we end up with a 2014 draft of
6-Boyd-The key forward we all dreamed off
26-Menadue-Pace to burn kicks it 60 on the run
26-Mckenzie -HBF left footer one :)
39-McDonald-Key back
45-Webb left footer-Project player that has massive upside kicking amazing
46-Glenn-Left footer with poise and smarts think Guarra
60-Cordy-the perfect prototype for back flank long reach and great disposal
78-Jong-The pick up of the draft please watch rd 5 vs Richmond and afl grand final could be anything
96-Redpath-a power forward that will help with Boyds development

So we had 3 problems that needed looking at
Speed-McKenzie,Menadue
Tall forwar-Boyd -Redpath say no more
CHB McDonald

I think we love his versatility, it's been a big key in our drafting since Jason McCartney has come on board. We could see him as a midfielder but also have stints down back when needed.

Hrovat24

Club Legend
May 8, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
so we end up with a 2014 draft of
6-Boyd-The key forward we all dreamed off
26-Menadue-Pace to burn kicks it 60 on the run
26-Mckenzie -HBF left footer one :)
39-McDonald-Key back
45-Webb left footer-Project player that has massive upside kicking amazing
46-Glenn-Left footer with poise and smarts think Guarra
60-Cordy-the perfect prototype for back flank long reach and great disposal
78-Jong-The pick up of the draft please watch rd 5 vs Richmond and afl grand final could be anything
96-Redpath-a power forward that will help with Boyds development

So we had 3 problems that needed looking at
Speed-McKenzie,Menadue
Tall forwar-Boyd -Redpath say no more
CHB McDonald
Jong the pick up of the draft ? Hahahaha get your hand off it

Dav1d

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Big difference between the Geelong list and the WBD list.
The Geelong players foot skills are about 35% better per player.
Wood awful kick and decision maker
Talia bad kick
JJ bad kick
Roberts ok
McDonald has a lot to show before he can be compared to Scarlett
EVW don't know, but Hunt was a superb kick
I didn't think JJ was that bad a kick, could all certainly do with improvement

the height of that backline seems alright, but you & fronk are right; skills aren't where they ought to be :eek:
how much can they improve....I wonder

giblj

Cancelled
Nov 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Will we get a KPF at 39, 45, 46? Assuming big Reece is gone by 26/27. Really think we need one more and don't want a 5 year project type like Redpath either.
People seem all over the place with where they place him, some have him at about 20 in their phantom drafts and in some he drifts way out near 50 somewhere

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Almost all genuine size KP forward prospects taken at that range would take 3+ years as an absolute minimum.
Im thinking of a type who would play 3-4 years of VFL reserves, do not want that type of KPF who won't make it, think Boumann etc. 2 years of VFL footy then 3rd year they get a crack.

Iluvdalhouse

Debutant
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can you explain why he is the pick of the draft ?

190 cm onballer -who if not on our Rookie list would be picked up top 30 in the draft :) fast aggresive and 20 Years old...Why as supporters do we under rate our players -he took a strong Box hill (Hawks) on ball team apart on the big stage...His a competative beast that kicks goals or can tag if need be.

Hrovat24

Club Legend
May 8, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
190 cm onballer -who if not on our Rookie list would be picked up top 30 in the draft :) fast aggresive and 20 Years old...Why as supporters do we under rate our players -he took a strong Box hill (Hawks) on ball team apart on the big stage...His a competative beast that kicks goals or can tag if need be.
It was in the vfl mate and I still don't think he would go top 30 in this draft , if you had of said he is a steal at pick 78 I would agree but he isn't the pick of the draft because we get boyd at pick 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back