List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There list is already flooded with talent across the board. If they think he is best available it makes sense.
I wouldn't say 'flooded' - their reserves didn't win a game in the NEAFL. They have abysmal depth - especially in their key defensive stocks, as well as for smaller players.

Don't understand Gold Coast going Wright at all. Baffling.
I do. Their ruck division is one key weakness atm. Gorringe is injury prone, Smith is skinny and has done a knee, and the Fijian bloke is still developing. By no means a lock, but understand why they would take him.

I do. Their ruck division is one key weakness atm. Gorringe is injury prone, Smith is skinny and has done a knee, and the Fijian bloke is still developing. By no means a lock, but understand why they would take him.
I don't see him as a Ruckmam. He is a running CHF and not sure who really wants or needs him until Freo, Carltank, GWS and us are on the clock.

A raw, developing 'ruckman' that, by his own admission, feels more comfortable playing forward doesn't exactly help with that though. Smith's skinniness and Nichols' continued development isn't going to be fixed/hastened by adding another developing ruckman who will need a chunk of time.

A raw, developing 'ruckman' that, by his own admission, feels more comfortable playing forward doesn't exactly help with that though. Smith's skinniness and Nichols' continued development isn't going to be fixed/hastened by adding another developing ruckman who will need a chunk of time.

Agree find it particularly strange, can see Dee's fans up in arms with the latest rumours that they could use pick 3 for Wright if McCartin is off the table.

Do we roll the dice and take r Mckenzie if he gets through, as it looks like he might?

Yes. Still need more KP depth and he and Boyd will seriously trouble the opposition. Then get quality disposals and speed with our other picks...

Agree find it particularly strange, can see Dee's fans up in arms with the latest rumours that they could use pick 3 for Wright if McCartin is off the table.

Not a terrible idea. Hogan as key no. 1 forward and Wright as second forward / backup ruck. Pretty delicious combo (in the words of B.M). Maybe Brayshaw slides...

Bloody oath we should. If he got past our pick 39 as well I'd be even more incensed. We have 5 top 50 selections in a very even draft. Why not gamble 1 and find another tall forward to complete the set.

Imagine solving our KPF woes for the next decade in a single trade/draft period...... Bloody scary thought actually....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The debate in terms of R.McKenzie is that he hasn't got the consistency nor the endurance to impact at afl level. Yet what he has is elite size/contested marking and instead of throwing Boyd to the wolves as the 2nd ruck then we could use McKenzie and keep Roughead in defence. Even if R.McKenzie and T.Boyd got into each others road/impaired one another then we could still get high trade value for R.Mckenzie in coming years. Whats not to like. I'd be snaring him as soon as possible and then look for a couple of outside quick mids and a small forward, maybe a half back flanker too. Don't want EVW or O.McDonald. If our tall backline faulters next season we quite simply do a hawthorn and trade one in.

I don't see him as a Ruckmam. He is a running CHF and not sure who really wants or needs him until Freo, Carltank, GWS and us are on the clock.
Don't see him as a pure ruckman either, but with the way the game is going with interchange caps coming in eventually teams need that ruckman/forward which Wright is. He's probably more developed with forward ability now than most of the names i mentioned.

Agree with where he is and where he's aligned to positon-wise long term Dan, per the post to GMo above. They wasted Day, Dixon, Thompson and Lynch at times last year on the ruck due to necessity of injury. If they had a ruckman/forward with dual ability, per Wright, and rested him between the others just mentioned in the forward line we'd all be done for. Therefore making all the pure ruckmen on their list almost obsolete. Should have explained that above.

I think I would Fronk . He looks more than ok to me for bloke of his size.
His draft camp results would have made a lot of people reassessing where he sits.

Seconded (and again only going on reports). Reece McKenzie would set us up fwd wise for the next 10yrs if he came good, and he reportedly has the tools to do so - why not? The gamble may be that we hope he slips and try and get him at 39...

Use the other 20's pick to get a slider with pace and skill, the hyphen or even O McDonald.

Reading up on the draft it just seems a lot of decent mids with pace and skill will be available even down to the 40's. Guys like Gore, Smith, Cavka, Cunico, etc are slipping down that far, for instance see Anderson's draft, so don't mind having a crack at a decent KP with 27 or 28.

Doesn't seem a bad draft to have picks in the 20's and 40's.

Just get the feeling we'll take best available though and not sure R McKenzie is in that bracket.

i back the staff to pick the best guys at each pick, and if big reece is the guy at 26, so be it.

our list needs good players on every line, so we can't be passing up talent. i just don't see how he fits with boyd.

Wasn't that our 2008 draft?

We have tried to do it every year since we hid C Grant away from view. Lets do it right. Get the big, tall, fast, good marking KPF and build the miles in his legs. Then deliver the bloody ball to him...

We have tried to do it every year since we hid C Grant away from view. Lets do it right. Get the big, tall, fast, good marking KPF and build the miles in his legs. Then deliver the bloody ball to him...

Which is why we pass up McKenzie, get good ball users and kick it to our big, fast, good marking saviour of saviours, Tom Boyd!?

Menadue @ 34......

- Us passing him

60. Carlton
Jayden FOSTER
Calder Cannons | 1/6/95 | H: 195cm | W: 90kgI was surprised that the Bulldogs didn’t take him as a late father-son pick. He has developed his strength and agility this year and is a good mark on the lead, but he needs to now start taking pack marks and crashing packs. He is a quite reliable kick for goal and there is no comparison in regards to where he is now from where he was at the same time last year. He is a late developer who will be a monster of a man at 21 or 22. – Calder Cannons talent manager Ian Kyte

- Nasty

Not nasty at all - our last pick 49 so couldnt use that if we nominated him as it would be way overs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back