List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i really like the sound jake lever with our first rounder (even if he is 'only' 3rd tall) - and shapes as a bulldog sort of pick (diligent rehab, high quality character, fierce competitor). how does his game compare to someone like The Chad?

You bluffed me Dannnnnnnnnn

Great choice though perfect. Now Slide Langford Slide and we have ourselves an army of 190cm+ goal kicking wingman/midfielders who can play off halfback as well :D
Reece McKenzie was my second-round pick. Details of him as a player (and the reasons why I selected him over the still-available Tyler Keitel for those that are fans on here) as follows:

You bluffed me Dannnnnnnnnn

Great choice though perfect. Now Slide Langford Slide and we have ourselves an army of 190cm+ goal kicking wingman/midfielders who can play off halfback as well :D
Would love Langford just for his marking ability

Would love Langford just for his marking ability

If he was a few cms taller he'd be considered a kpp with his marking ability.

Could see him working with Stringer, Bonti and Laverde playing them in the mid and resting them forward. Langford being versitile can play both ends so could start on the bench if he grows to 192-3 he could sit at CHF switching with our other monster mid Bonti... that would be terrifying to come up against in the air and on the ground.

Bonti- Macrae- Laverde
Campbell- Libba- Wallis

Stringer- Langford- Dahl
Honey- McKenzie- Crameri

Worth a risk in the third round. Could go late second. But I agree needs to fix up his disposal but if he could fix that up.... could be anything.

More a tall wingman but if he gets a few extra cms he could be used like we have been using Bonti off half forward.
Langford really has to get his disposal up to scratch because I don't see him as a genuine forward. I was expecting him to do it this year and really bolt but he hasn't, and he won't until he does.

Worth a risk in the third round. Could go late second. But I agree needs to fix up his disposal but if he could fix that up.... could be anything.

More a tall wingman but if he gets a few extra cms he could be used like we have been using Bonti off half forward.
Think he fits the mould we've been looking for and he could spend significant minutes down back, through the middle or up forward. Agree his disposal needs work though.

That's a fair improvement. I remember at the time a recruiter telling me he thought he was on the grog before picking Howard. Now the guy is nailing the stars.

I have always believed it, and still say it, its coaches who pick players, not the recruiters themselves. They just go out and identify the talent, particularly what the club wants, and builds a list for end of season discussion. Coaches look at the short list and say who they want to draft and where, whether they want them in the first round, or happy to take a gamble on them being their in the second. He has the ability to identify talent, and probably didn't want to pick Howard so early on his own call and knew he was a late round ranked player, but had his hands tied. Plus the club got spooked by rumors another club wanted him early as well. Now that he has a better system in terms of player recruiting, and has criteria to go by and work with, he is able to go for genuine talent as opposed to just filling holes with role players.

To many people put to much on him when they look back on the Howard pick and paint him as a crap recruiter when its not even his call

probably didn't want to pick Howard so early on his own call and knew he was a late round ranked player...

To many people put to much on him when they look back on the Howard pick and paint him as a crap recruiter when its not even his call

I was actually privvy to this pick at the time and can tell you precisely what happened.

Coaches absolutely meet with the recruiters and tell them what they want - not who they want - and Eade told Dalrymple he wanted a wing/half back who can kick. Dalrymple rated Howard the 14th best player in the draft and in the 14 picks before ours, the other 13 were taken (FWIW the only player taken before Howard that Dalrymple didn't rate was Kane Lucas). The one we really wanted was Lewis Jetta - so close!

We knew Adelaide intended to take Howard at 31 but Dalrymple rated the kid and because knew he wouldn't last to our next pick, he pulled the trigger. Howard wouldn't have lasted to Adelaide either but we didn't know that at the time, Richmond would have jumped in at 24.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Talia or Butcher had slid to 15 (both were ranked higher than Howard by Dalrymple), I very much doubt Eade would have pulled rank and demanded we take the half back.

I was actually privvy to this pick at the time and can tell you precisely what happened.

Coaches absolutely meet with the recruiters and tell them what they want - not who they want - and Eade told Dalrymple he wanted a wing/half back who can kick. Dalrymple rated Howard the 14th best player in the draft and in the 14 picks before ours, the other 13 were taken (FWIW the only player taken before Howard that Dalrymple didn't rate was Kane Lucas). The one we really wanted was Lewis Jetta - so close!

We knew Adelaide intended to take Howard at 31 but Dalrymple rated the kid and because knew he wouldn't last to our next pick, he pulled the trigger. Howard wouldn't have lasted to Adelaide either but we didn't know that at the time, Richmond would have jumped in at 24.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Talia or Butcher had slid to 15 (both were ranked higher than Howard by Dalrymple), I very much doubt Eade would have pulled rank and demanded we take the half back.
Do you happen to know how he rated Carlisle? I remember reading on here something along the lines of he wanted him but thought he might be available at that 2nd round pick. Is that right?

Do you happen to know how he rated Carlisle? I remember reading on here something along the lines of he wanted him but thought he might be available at that 2nd round pick. Is that right?
No idea. In the conversation I had at the time his name didn't come up and he was just another tall hopeful.

I do know the WA U18 coach gave Nat Fyfe a huge wrap and recommended we draft him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Scooter , that's very interesting info you have. Any more we should know about ?
Remember this board is full of would be recruiting managers :)

http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-dan-nielson/

dropped his name earlier, haven't watched him real closely but he has kept his direct opponents relatively quiet when playing on them
as a key defender that zones off to intercept the ball, so maybe a bit like Talia? but still worth a look at anyhow

AND

http://madmondayshow.com/2014/07/30/tac-cup-r15-statistical-standouts/
Thanks Scooter , that's very interesting info you have. Any more we should know about ?
Remember this board is full of would be recruiting managers :)
more scouts ;) watch the U18s and form opinions based on what we've seen

Last edited:
Let's go tall this year and go lever Mckenzie kietel foster and throw in wigg off half back

Let's go tall this year and go lever Mckenzie kietel foster and throw in wigg off half back
All those talls? Seems a bit excessive

I am hoping Conlon finishes the year off well and we can draft or rookie him
deserves a shot, was rated as highly as a top 5 talent last year before his injuries

probably will go
best mid - best tall - best tall - best mid/HBF

or best tall - best mid - best tall -best mid/HBF :p

then rookie any other talls/etc

All those talls? Seems a bit excessive

I am hoping Conlon finishes the year off well and we can draft or rookie him
deserves a shot, was rated as highly as a top 5 talent last year before his injuries

probably will go
best mid - best tall - best tall - best mid/HBF

or best tall - best mid - best tall -best mid/HBF :p

then rookie any other talls/etc
I would even take Conlan as a rookie as well haha

I would even take Conlan as a rookie as well haha
been a Northern Knights fan?

go the Jets :p ripping up Sandy
Ellis apparently is playing very well, would have headed down but am going to our VFL game tomorrow instead

I'm backing our recruiters, seeing how they've gone the past couple of drafts

hopefully we snag some rookie bargains to

been a Northern Knights fan?

go the Jets :p ripping up Sandy
Ellis apparently is playing very well, would have headed down but am going to our VFL game tomorrow instead

I'm backing our recruiters, seeing how they've gone the past couple of drafts

hopefully we snag some rookie bargains to
I'm a big fan of Ellis I like the look of him and just think Conlan is worth a punt for sure

McKenzie has kicked 7 (although it was against the Northern Territory)

Foster with three goals to halftime but there have been no updates since.

McLean with three for Oakleigh, will check if that is another 25-30 disposal game again later.

Laverde is playing atm and has a goal to his name.

McLean with three for Oakleigh, will check if that is another 25-30 disposal game again later.

I could kick 7 against NT

;)

don't start him in your fantasy footy team if he gets drafted :drunk:

Menadue with 2 goals and playing a good game, kicked his first on the run

Laverde also with 2
I'm a big fan of Ellis I like the look of him and just think Conlan is worth a punt for sure
I think he is a little underrated by BF, same with Duggan
Ellis has that little extra height though and Ellis is a decent kick to

hopefully he adds to those highlights there ahead of the draft

Is McLean the guy your in love with ? Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back