Opinion 2014 Draft ( Live discussion ) Mod notice post #6629

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats it called when people just seem to attack?

General assholery? lol

I'm sure a few people have had trouble containing their emotions. We've been seen as the joke of draft day for a long time now, especially when it comes to early picks. A lot of that frustration has come out with this pick.

I don't understand all the bellyaching by the armchair experts (granted I am an armchair expert).

Didn't the so-called media experts almost universally agree this was an even draft and you could throw a blanket over any pick post pick 5? If you accept this, it stands to reason a Bratwurst taken at 19 shouldn't necessarily come as a huge surprise.

I know a 3 min clip isn't much to go off, but from what I have seen Bratwurst looks better than Leverde.
And is it really such a bad thing that we go with experience? Bratwurst has been in the system in WA a few years, struggled early, but came on this year. One could argue he is more likely to make it compared to a pimply faced 17 year old who is coming straight out of school. Maybe, maybe not, but you get my gist.

Certainly picking Bratwurst is consistent with the policy all post season of taking young players who have been in the system a few years - Jones, Jaksch, Tutt, Whiley. And there was Wood last year as well.

I think it was Paul Roos who for years said the draft age is too low. Look at the NFL etc, the kids are older, more developed etc. This, it would appear is Carlton's new drafting philosophy.

Not every player will be a star but you want them to be able to play a role, contribute, as opposed to do SFA and be de-listed in 2 years.

I haven't seen the stats but I dare say in theory kids who have shown they can survive the first 2 years of AFL are, all things being equal are more likely than fresh 17 y.olds to make it in the AFL landscape. It just makes sense.

I know they said they need to fill that age bracket but I get the feeling there is more to it than this and this is a new recruiting policy, of sorts.

And I am not suggesting they would have picked a kid older than 18 at pick 19 no matter what, but they certainly weren't put off by Bratwurst's age were they ?!!

Seems clear to me the philosophy this off-season has been ...

- get rid of the poor kicks, the old, and the undisciplined
- get kids who can kick and run (Bratwurst, Rainman)
- get small fwd types who have some body and grunt to them (Tutt, Smith - the latter I have heard will be groomed as a defensive fwd)
- get some kids who have been in the system already and are thus more likely to make it

The above focus makes sense to me and from my experience has Malthouse written all over it

Of course this is not to say this will all work beautifully but right now I can see the logic and don't mind it

Really my only concern is whether Bratwurst and Rainman are hard at it.

General assholery? lol

I'm sure a few people have had trouble containing their emotions. We've been seen as the joke of draft day for a long time now, especially when it comes to early picks. A lot of that frustration has come out with this pick.
Understandable. And those people certainly have a point regarding our draft history.

I don't think it does any good to bring that mentality to the present though. Lots of time to go before we see the fruits (or otherwise) of our picks.

So Rogers said we got 'nearly' every player we planned to - so I'm thinking either our player was taken before Boekhorst (i.e. Ahern) or because he said Smitty slipped to us we planned on taking someone else?

Try looking at it this way, with your first pick every year, especially in the first round, you should be aiming to pick-up a 150-200 game player every time because you are picking from the 'cream' of the pool at that time.

If we had of taken Laverde and he doesn't end up making it, then there will be hardly a ripple of derision all round because he has been highly rated prior to the draft and most junior watchers suggest he will be a good'un.

Boekhorst on the other hand, was a completely leftfield selection and the only club which appeared to rate him within the Top 50 was us. If he doesn't end up making it there will be some serious scorn & derision because we could of played it safe but we didn't.

My gutfeel is that he would of still been there around our picks 60 & 63 and that is where we should of taken him.

The higher the draft pick, the higher the expectation plus the reason why the good clubs are always good onfield is that they hardly every take speculative picks early, they play it safe and know they have banked a winner.

With all due respect, i reckon that's bollocks, BB would have been taken somewhere between the 24 - 35 draft range i am fairly sure of it. Why can't we sit back and let the lad show his stuff on-field before condemning him ? He deserves a fair go from all True Blue Carlton fans ..

Had a bit of time now to get my head around the shock of last night and feel pretty good about it now.

The narrative of our forum and the media in general was that after the top five there were another 20 odd young guns of an even quality and it was inevitable that one of the higher rated players would slip to us. Early calls were Marchbank but he went early so we all sat back and held our breaths and waited to see which slider was ours for the taking. And holy smoke its laverde, touted for weeks as a potential top 5 pick, thank you Lord...but...but...BUT!!!

BLAINE BOEKHORST.

First I had heard of him was we would use pick 60. Then it was 28, which everyone said was a reach but necessary because of our trading out our third rounder.

But pick 19, with laverde and even Goddard still up for grabs....wtf!!!

MELTDOWN.

Of course our recruiting team had paid no attention to the narrative of BF and the media. They have spent the year poring over our list imbalances and deficiencies and planning a trading and drafting strategy to address them. Identifying the players that would best suit our needs and how to go about getting them.

And what they finished up with was a pretty good result.

If you consider Jaksch as our first round draft pick he was well worth pick 19, a talented kp with the bonus of two years development. Then we got our three kids, an outside mid that looks every inch an afl player, an exciting tough nut who could be a small forward or defender and eventually a mid who slid to us against the odds, and a project KP. That was our national draft and it looks good.

We traded in a young electrifying outside mid who looks ready made and a young inside mid with potential, both at the cost of a pick downgrade, and a big KPF who is reaching his prime and has shown he can cut it at afl level at the least as a role player for the price of a third round draft pick.

We also got another small forward for nothing who is a capable role player/depth and young flanker wit potential for nothing.

I reckon Rogers and co earned their pay this year.

It was a horrible mistake to not take another selection at 71 and get Mckenzie, almost as bad as Boekhurst over Laverde, dissapointed to miss out on Toby Mclean. Tipping he'll be better than both of them and DVR over the journey, Cockatoo will become the best player of this draft if he stays injury free. Happy with the Smith and Foster picks. Rogers will be gone within 24 months and not a moment too soon. Now we know why the Geelong bloke shook his head and walked out within a month, and what's with the leaks last two years FFS. The spirit of Hughes lives on.... our infallible 170 interviews and ten thousand hours of tape people keep telling me about :rolleyes: and that's what we do, the Carlton recruiting giggle factory!

For me... I am over the moon with the DVR pick @ 28

If we didn't get him at 28 and was gone by 60 (100% would have) I'd be really upset.

I therefore hate the thought of missing out on this kid @28 and using 28 to get Blaine....
Wonder if that might be how the Carlton selectors thought too....
I think its simple really - we rated Boekhorst and DVR higher than most players in the draft, and its clear that our list was based on 'best player available... for Carlton' as was said directly multiple times by Rogers and co.
On a side note, I think it's worth pointing out that Gold Coast now have a ridiculous over abundance of tall forwards/rucks.

Dixon
Day
Nichols
Clarke
And added to it Wright on Thursday.

Surely we could pry loose one of these blokes? Are any Victorian? Day would have to be looked at pretty closely. Even Wright might want to leave next year if he wants to come home.
I've heard that Lions are targeting a big bloke for next year's trade period - initially thought I heard Carlisle, but reckon it may be one of the GC guys - most likely Dixon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a horrible mistake to not take another selection at 71 and get Mckenzie, almost as bad as Boekhurst over Laverde, dissapointed to miss out on Toby Mclean. Tipping he'll be better than both of them and DVR over the journey, Cockatoo will become the best player of this draft if he stays injury free. Happy with the Smith and Foster picks. Rogers will be gone within 24 months and not a moment too soon. Now we know why the Geelong bloke shook his head and walked out within a month, and what's with the leaks last two years FFS. The spirit of Hughes lives on.... our infallible 170 interviews and ten thousand hours of tape people keep telling me about :rolleyes: and that's what we do, the Carlton recruiting giggle factory!

What makes you think that he walked?

So Rogers said we got 'nearly' every player we planned to - so I'm thinking either our player was taken before Boekhorst (i.e. Ahern) or because he said Smitty slipped to us we planned on taking someone else?
I could be wrong but to me it seemed like Rogers was saying that he nearly has all the players Mick asked for and by the end of the Pre-season / Rookie drafts the job would be done.

I'm still spinning from a brief read of another Carlton forum (I never learn!). One of the main criticisms of the draft seems to be there was no drafting strategy. From what I can work out the club outlined it's strategy at the start of the off-season and has been ticking players of their list ever since.

I'm not a fan of the whole bringing players into the club with a few years in the system mentality. In my eyes, it's saying we don't have our s**t together in player development and need other clubs to start it off before we screw them up. And to be honest, outside of the Demons we don't have a good record of young player development. This area needs serious work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back