Opinion 2014 Draft ( Live discussion ) Mod notice post #6629

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a horrible mistake to not take another selection at 71 and get Mckenzie

For some reason I cannot reply to your abusive private message, but I can tell you that there is a very good reason that we would not draft Mckenzie.

I'd like to know why you think you know better than the recruiters in this case?

For some reason I cannot reply to your abusive private message, but I can tell you that there is a very good reason that we would not draft Mckenzie.

I'd like to know why you think you know better than the recruiters in this case?

Report any abuse and we'll deal with it accordingly.

We weren't the only club who passed on reece. Already have casboult who both are similar types we would be one dimensional forward line with those two where as foster offers a different mix

Why should the government or AFL do anything? I'm sure there are talented white kids who get on the drugs and into crime too - should the government do something for them?

If you interfere and legislate specifically for aboriginal groups - some will say it's racist for treating them differently
If you don't do anything to help the situation - some will say it's racist for ignoring them.

Fact of the matter is they are people like any other person and they have to make decisions for themselves and conduct themselves to the standard of an AFL footballer.
Reckon this is a society/ cultural issue that needs addressing ASAP and footy had very little to do with it

Apologies for going a bit O/T, bit I was reading Inside Football's excellent and informative draft guide issue yesterday and was interested to see Chris Yarran had an older cousin (Shane) who had unfortunately spent 5 years in jail. His AFL dream is probably not going to happen, i just wish the govt could do more to prevent these young people from turning to crime early on and preventing their chances for potential career success.

My cousin played and went to school with him and said those issue were pretty minor and that were mostly in year 11.

Well worth the risk at pick 70 imo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Were there any ruckmen taken in the draft and if so what picks?

Love Kreuzer but it's safe to say he'll be the last number 1 pick ruckmen

My cousin played and went to school with him and said those issue were pretty minor and that were mostly in year 11.

Well worth the risk at pick 70 imo

Those who knew him this year say otherwise.

Rogers said we got almost everyone we wanted at the draft.
Just wondering as to who he may have been alluding to missing out on, if he did indeed mean that?

At the top end of things Marchbank was certainly one we liked but would have then missed out on either Boekhorst or DVR. Maybe that's not it.

So from 29-59, who did we miss that we would have really hoped for, realistically.
Smith was a bonus so there must have been someone else we would have taken ahead of Foster.......Langdon? McDonald? Gore?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rogers said we got almost everyone we wanted at the draft.
Just wondering as to who he may have been alluding to missing out on, if he did indeed mean that?

At the top end of things Marchbank was certainly one we liked but would have then missed out on either Boekhorst or DVR. Maybe that's not it.

So from 29-59, who did we miss that we would have really hoped for, realistically.
Smith was a bonus so there must have been someone else we would have taken ahead of Foster.......Langdon? McDonald? Gore?
I thought he meant we planned on taking someone other than Smith but didn't necessarily mean we rated that player higher than Smith. Just a different player.

Wow. This thread devolved to bickering and name calling pretty quickly. Now that the draft is done and dusted and we have a rookie draft thread surely we could lock this one, Aphrodite? All non rookie draft related conversations could continue in the specific player threads, the list thread or general thread.

No you're wrong

There were question marks on McKenzie as must have been evident for the fact he took so long to get picked up and even Richmond at that selection had to think long and hard before sticking their necks out...........didn't they?

There were a few players that question marks on them leading into this draft. No surprise those same players somehow............fell.

There were question marks on McKenzie as must have been evident for the fact he took so long to get picked up and even Richmond at that selection had to think long and hard before sticking their necks out...........didn't they?

There were a few players that question marks on them leading into this draft. No surprise those same players somehow............fell.
To be fair he played one year for Northern Knights, came good late and I'm sure some teams still had last year on the back of their minds.

Of course some teams simply didn't need him.

People saying he had issues this year are talking out of their arse and it annoys me. I spent plenty of time with him this year and he was fine.
Carlton should've picked him up. Low risk for the possibility of a chunky reward.

To be fair he played one year for Northern Knights, came good late and I'm sure some teams still had last year on the back of their minds.

People saying he had issues this year are talking out of their arse and it annoys me. I spent plenty of time with him this year and he was fine.
Carlton should've picked him up. Low risk for the possibility of a chunky reward.
Quayle spent time with him last week & disagrees with you.

Interviewed him & that interview never went to print. Strange if everything was fine.

I think that recruiters look a lot deeper these days then whether a player can kick ball.

I'm not suggesting that their psych analysis is always right and for what may happen with said player at a later stage but most clubs tend to steer away from disruptive forces.
It should come as no surprise that a player being touted as possibly the best talent in the draft went at #32 and to the other side of the country...............and he's not the only one.

Petracca raised some concerns also and don't think that St.Kilda didn't know that.

Mate, I was hearing things in January.
I went to school with him.

I don't doubt you did. It's well known he had issues last year but there has been no such signs of the same things this year. The clubs evaluations might have shown something but with a late pick he still would've been worth the punt putting the right support around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back