2014 Draft outcome discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Wright didn't look that happy when walking back on stage for the second time.

But seriously, Suns went best available. They have Lynch, Dixon, Day, Wright, Smith, Gorringe and Nicholls on their list as tall forwards or rucks. Their reserves team is rubbish and I wouldn't see a great opportunity to learn and grow in the NEAFL tbh.

If I was Wright, the Suns or Giants would almost the worst possible destinations for me to end up. I'd be happy to stay in his ear though, could be a handy player in the right team.

I think it's still the old guard for awhile

Geary Delaney Dempster
Wright Fisher Gilbert
Montagna Armitage Newnes
Billings Riewoldt Acres
Schneider McCartin Bruce

Foll Hickey Dunstan Steven

Int Ray, Savage, Weller

Sub: Markworth :)

I agree with the team you have set out, I really want to see Ross, Templeton, White, Saunders to get a game but I have the same opinion as you, I don't see who would come out for them... maybe Acres, Schneider, Ray, Bruce.... I think all of the 2014 draftees are all capable of playing solid senior footy next year though. I'm so excited for the upcoming season. I wanted the Saints to draft Petracca, but drafting McCartin was definitely the right decision.

If everyone is fit for Round 1 next season, what do you think our best 22 would be against GWS?

Dempster Delenay Geary
Webster Fisher Savage
Newnes Dunston Montagna
Billings Reiwoldt Membrey
Templeton White Longer

Hickey Steven Armitage

Acres, Weller, Gilbert, Ray

I expect the new recruits will need to work their way into the team. It is probably unlikely any of them play round 1. Hopefully by round 10, Ray, Weller, and perhaps even Savage have been pushed out of the side.

T
Dempster Delenay Geary
Webster Fisher Savage
Newnes Dunston Montagna
Billings Reiwoldt Membrey
Templeton White Longer

Hickey Steven Armitage

Acres, Weller, Gilbert, Ray

I expect the new recruits will need to work their way into the team. It is probably unlikely any of them play round 1. Hopefully by round 10, Ray, Weller, and perhaps even Savage have been pushed out of the side.
You want Savage to be pushed out of the side? Towards the end of the season I reckon he was one of our best players.

One midfielder is a surprise. Very happy with Goddard. Wish ANB had slipped through. Melbourne would be rapt.

For the time being, I definitely rate Savage as best 22. Last year he was one of the few blokes that actually provided run and carry, which we desperately need. Defensively however, he is just okay, and would love to see him be able to rotate through the middle more effectively.

Ultimately there are limited spots in the HBF/winger type role. It is not that I don't rate Savage at all, I just feel if he is being pushed out of the side I think we are in pretty good shape. It probably means that one of our kids such as Wright, McKenzie, potentially Murdoch or Acres is demanding a half back/wing spot. FWIW, I don't think this will happen this year.

Very happy with the draft outcome

McCartin.... obviously a player
Goddard..... Much better than pick 21
McKenzIe.... Very neatly skilled and quick player... A type we need
Lonie..... A steal

If we think last year was good.... I'd suggest this draft 30% better!

I'd back all of them to be players... That's 4
Add
Templeton, Billings, Acres, Dunstan.... That's 8
Add
Newnes, Webster, Bruce, Membrey.... That's 12
Add
4 from.... Curran, Saunders, Siposs, Markwqorth, Hickey, Longer, White, Wright, Weller, Murdoch, Minchington, Ross, Pierce... Non cemented

And 4 from 2015

There is 20 to join Steven, Armitage, Delaney

A team evolves for 2018-2020

SP9Xtbp.png

HA

Holy. s**t. L.o.l

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was blown away by pick 19, thought they must have got the number wrong. Was getting greedy and hoping for Essendon to somehow pass on Laverde and Goddard but the fact we even got one of them is awesome. Goddard and McCartin is huge, that's 2 top 10 picks based on a lot of people's opinions. Pretty happy with this draft, not as happy as last year but still very happy.

Jack Billings
Luke Dunstan
Blake Acres
Eli Templeton
Patrick McCartin
Hugh Goddard
Daniel McKenzie
Jack Lonie

In the last two drafts. Looks mighty good! Hopefully all come along nicely.

What's the word on Reece McKenzie?

Why so late? Bad interviews? Bad testing?

Joined the thread late, been out all night.

Can I also say, Hugh f*&%$ing Goddard! The guy was talked about as a potential number 1. Yes he slipped, but %*&^ me if we haven't solved our key position problems for the next decade!!

So I did catch the draft via the app, but I've been away from Bigfooty the past couple hours...

BUT FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKK what a ripper outcome. I am absolutely stoked.

Still having a giggle with Carlton. Especially Boekhorst's awkward tweet too.

Essendon is the only other team comparable to our drafting (i.e. making away like bandits).

Jesus christ. I can't believe it. Weller to Freo is perfect too. He can swing back after two years.

What's the word on Reece McKenzie?

Why so late? Bad interviews? Bad testing?

Joined the thread late, been out all night.

Can I also say, Hugh f*&%$ing Goddard! The guy was talked about as a potential number 1. Yes he slipped, but %*&^ me if we haven't solved our key position problems for the next decade!!
Maybe because his talent isn't as high as everyone thought / he comes across as a weird guy like him making a bf account, along with other things I found out about him on the internet that he has signed up for.

*hides*

Anyone really scared in the fact we picked up no pure mids in the draft :(:(:( this is the only thing that I don't like, it's scaring me

Pretty Much The boys positions are
Patty McCartin- Big Tall forward capable of leading up to the logo's and working hard back. Also got Velcro like hand in a pack marking situation (Similar to Tom Hawkins & Roughy

Hughy Goddard- Ultimate Swingman the sainters need. 196cm can play as a CHB/CHF or even as a 3rd tall option with White or Lee with Roo or play a Back Pocket Role as a 3rd Tall.

Dan McKenzie- This is the steal we were looking for. Great athletic mid with the three special ingredients- Speed, Endurance and Agility. Also from what I've seen of him looks elite with the ball in hand and would fit in perfectly on a wing playing a Farren Ray type role or a rolling Half Back

Jack Lonie- Younger quicker version of Adam Schneider! Absolutely terrific at the big boys feet crumming and getting into the best position to get the pill and when he gets it awareness of where the goals are is fantastic and you would back him to finish off his good work!

Dewah, we got a key defender at pick 21!

Cop that! :p

Can't win a flag now!;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back